Healthy Paranoia...

Healthy Paranoia...

This is a discussion on Healthy Paranoia... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My criminal justice doctor says that he has a healthy dose of Healthy Paranoia, and I am wondering is mine healthy or unhealthy? Its something ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Healthy Paranoia...

Healthy Paranoia...

My criminal justice doctor says that he has a healthy dose of Healthy Paranoia, and I am wondering is mine healthy or unhealthy? Its something that crosses my mind on rare occasions when I am thinking about different scenarios that I play through my head. This is something I got into the habbit of doing while on a personal security detachment duty in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. I think well if that happens I can move there, etc.

Then sometimes I catch myself and think am I too paranoid? I have a selection of PDW which are all tools for various jobs. All of this comes to my mind as something I also like to shoot, but makes me wonder, am I too paranoid? The people I know are of the opinion that I am, but any time that anything has happened they all look to me to take the lead so it isn't too awful bad.

I go where I want to go (I have no reason to go places that are really rough or anything, so I don't go there) and I am alert while there. If something feels wrong, I don't think about it, I get up and leave most of the time. This has happened on very rare occasions, and I don't really second guess it. Gut instinct is the sub councious telling the councious that I have missed something that may be a bad situation and I can't nail it down. Waiting can have unhealthy consquences.

So is a person that has a few firearms, each for different use, a small stockpile of food and supplies, and adequate medical supplies (ymmv) paranoid, or just doing what is smart, and which the government has asked us to do and be prepared? Where do you folks draw the line? Do you ever stop and think, no I don't need bottled water, or nah I don't think I'll carry today because the water won't go off today and I won't be caught at the stop and rob at the wrong time.

Just wanted to discuss it with a few other folks. This is a good forum to do it in a way, because I feel a little odd bringing it up to most people. I'm not a survivalist nut, I have a tech addiction and can't live without my cable news and discovery channel, but well it just was something I was thinking about... All views are very welcome.

Paranoid- I don't believe so.
    Prepared- Yes and that is a good thing.

VIP Member
    As a young scout I was taught to be prepared.

That was healthy.

Duck and cover in school because the Russians might come was paranoia. (To say nothing of stupid and useless.)

For the young folks here, back in the early 1950s we were so convinced the Russians would bomb us, and that somehow we might actually survive a nuclear attack, that they taught little school kids to duck under their school desks. That was paranoia.

VIP Member
    I know it's just semantics but... in my day that was called common sense!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

It is just common sense. Maybe thirty or forty years ago, yeah, it would be overreacting. But what you are doing now is what most of us are doing, reacting TO A VERY REAL THREAT that was not there years ago.
    I always carry. If I go out to get a quart of milk, I carry. I never ever say to myself well I can leave it home, it is a sunny day, I am on Cape Cod, and tourist season is about to begin and all is rosy. No. I carry in church on Sundays. I carry every single time I leave the house. Wallet, comb, car keys, sunglasses, gun.
    Numerically, not percentage of population, numerically, there are more savages out there today than at any time in United States history. There is no doubt about that and this cannot be disputed. Numbers-wise. Therefore, this has caused us to be not only vigilant but hypervigilant. But the thing is, it is based on reality, whereas paranoia is not. This ain't no dream, the numbers of criminals out there. Being prepared for them is sensible nowadays.
    Fifty years ago, it would not have been necessary. Today it is. Preparedness just might save your life.
    Surrounded and outnumbered, Marine Col Lewis Puller: "Good! We finally got 'em where we want 'em!" (Korea, 1950)

I almost started a thread a day or two ago asking the same thing about myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paladin132 View Post
    ...am I too paranoid? ...The people I know are of the opinion that I am, but any time that anything has happened they all look to me to take the lead
    Interesting. Does them calling you "paranoid" help ease their conscious about not being prepared? Do they think denial will help keep bad things away?

So is a person that has a few firearms, each for different use, a small stockpile of food and supplies, and adequate medical supplies (ymmv) paranoid, or just doing what is smart
    Some parts of St. Louis lost power for 6 weeks in the 2006-2007 winter due to an ice storm. 6 weeks of often freezing temperatures. And this is a modern city. Then we have the example of Katrina, and we all know what happened there.

Where do you folks draw the line? Do you ever stop and think, no I don't need bottled water, or nah I don't think I'll carry today because the water won't go off today and I won't be caught at the stop and rob at the wrong time.
    Not any more. Now my questions to myself are "how much water, food, firewood, ammo, boards to board up my windows, etc. do I need?"

I'm not a survivalist nut
    Same here, but if I talk about storing even basic amounts of food, or procurring extra guns/high-cap mags in case the election goes bad, or plywood to board up my windows in case of riots, people think I've gone off the deep end. Oh well, my goal is to take care of my family. Everything else is secondary.

I don't think it's paranoid. I think it's survival of the prepared.

Quote Originally Posted by dcb188 View Post
    Numerically, not percentage of population, numerically, there are more savages out there today than at any time in United States history.
    Now that's a sobering thought that I cannot dispute.

It is a sobering thought and that is why Mr Ruger goes where I go.
    And the point about "not carrying today" is an important one. I know a lot of folks, and there are a lot on these forums, who do not carry everywhere and every day.
    How do they know which day might be THE day? At least in the event of a problem, I will never have to say to myself I wish I had a gun with me right now. And as I said, the instances of these occurrences with criminals are more and more and more common, until it can be said that nowhere is completely safe.
    There is no such thing as complete safety, as it is, carrying or not. The least we can do is try to even it out a bit by carrying everywhere.
    Last edited by dcb188; May 15th, 2008 at 11:11 PM. Reason: couple of typos
    Surrounded and outnumbered, Marine Col Lewis Puller: "Good! We finally got 'em where we want 'em!" (Korea, 1950)

you describe situational awareness and being prepared, you are fine but for an honest answer I'd have to get to know you first.
    I am sworn to protect the Constitution of the U.S.A. from all threats both foreign and domestic.

Senior Member Array Sergeant Mac's Avatar
    1. Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it. ("It" being guns, food, water, fuel.....or anything else you THINK you might need).

2. Be kind, be polite......but have a plan to kill everyone you meet. (Just don't tell them about it.....that'd be rude.)

3. Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you.

Quote Originally Posted by Sergeant Mac View Post
    1. Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it. ("It" being guns, food, water, fuel.....or anything else you THINK you might need).

2. Be kind, be polite......but have a plan to kill everyone you meet. (Just don't tell them about it.....that'd be rude.)

Well said
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Quote Originally Posted by dcb188 View Post
    Numerically, not percentage of population, numerically, there are more savages out there today than at any time in United States history. There is no doubt about that and this cannot be disputed.

This is very true. And the blame can be placed on the government at every level, for failing to do one of its main tasks, containing evil.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    My friends think I'm sorta paranoid. However, there has been quite a few events that have happened where lives were at stake and I was prepared and even had extra supplies for them as well, so that we could handle the situation. No guns involved thankfully.

I think of things like this as far as carrying weapons; not IF, but WHEN. I assume that something will happen, so I must be ready for it (avoid it if I can). I pray that nothing does happen though, but I prefer the proactive approach and just hope that I'm wrong. I like the thread about the snake, and that is pretty much how I see things. Where is that snake? I look for trouble, but don't go out and find it.
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar

+ 1 You said it well Sergeant Mac.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Ditto!
    I watched some of the gangst street criminal video's on youtube and was shocked and depressed.
    We have genuine, scum bag filth living amonst us that has no purpose but to do drugs, kill rob and harm our country... what is sad is their numbers are growing!!!! while the numbers of decent hard working honest folks aren't!

God help us!..
    USMC 1984-1992
    To err is human.
    To forgive is divine.
    Neither of which is Marine Corps policy.

"It's all about shot placement."- David (Slayer of Goliath)

I believe paronia is defined as an unreasonable fear. If you pull up to a gas station at midnight in a bad section of town and have a fear that you may be approached by a BG while pumping gas that isn't paranoia. If you stop by the local gunshop the next day to pick up two BUG's and 1,000 rounds of ammo soley for the next time you have to get gas that may be inching toward paranoia.

It depends on how much of your waking time you spend on guns and defense. If it takes over your life than you are paranoid. As long as your fears are based on a reasonable assumption of likely events then that is just being prepared. If you live in South Dakota and are prepared for hurricanes you are paranoid. If you live in Miami and buy a show blower you are paranoid. Reverse the situation and you have common sense.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links