Motorcycle carry?

Motorcycle carry?

This is a discussion on Motorcycle carry? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So how do you all carry while riding? My bike jacket doesn't cover below the belt line much. Probably less while leaning forward. The only ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Lead Moderator

Motorcycle carry?

So how do you all carry while riding? My bike jacket doesn't cover below the belt line much. Probably less while leaning forward. The only realistic carry option I can figure is Shoulder rig. Any other options ?
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

shoulder rig is best for me. Wasn't reAL comfortable iwb and my owb doesn't have the greatest retension. For awhile I used a "saddle bag" style thing that went over the tank and it worked great unless you had to park the bike. Then you either removed the gun or took the bag with you.

Pocket carry is also tough if you need that gun in a hurry.

-good luck and what bike are you riding?
    I rotate between a ancient harley and a suz. samuri
    -mac
    "In those days, there was a lot more respect for other people and it showed in peoples values.... Today the word value means nothing more than something you get on the $1 menu at McDonald's." -BARK'N

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    I usually wear a SERPA on my bike but sometimes my normal rig, a Blade-Tech UCH (soon to be a CTAC).

Rant: I hate having to disarm at restaurants. Poke you Mr. Naify.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

I carry mine IWB just like the rest of the time, but I'm not leaning forward. I ride an H-D recliner. I also have a locking holster on my handlebars for when I can't carry in somewhere, but this is Arizona and open carry is still legal and accepted.

S and S Sales
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Greetings Rock...

Welcome to the world of 'bikers'...
    Now what you ride and what I ride are tremendously different. My Harley is like a car...foot rests, back rest, windshield, and lots of weight, etc. I merely tuck my Glock-36 IWB at 4:30 -5:00, and sit back to enjoy the ride.

On a more aggressive bike for the back roads, I think an IWB would work if you wore a 'tight' belt and a longer shirt of any type. I do understand, however, where you live, the weather is usually going to demand a leather...it's not that warm there...and leather jackets are more 'form' fitting....IWB might not work too well.

Now on ocassions, I have used my Fist virtical shoulder holster (the vertical just seemed safer on a bike)...that also works well. Remember, with your arms on the handlebars, the gun is going to 'dangle'...horizontal carry seemed impractical.OMO

As a third option, a fanny pack worn in front has also worked, at least the gun is 'available' and cannot be dropped if back in the rougher 'terrain'.

Enjoy that new 'two wheeler'...

Stay armed...look both ways...stay safe!

ret/Ken
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    So how do you all carry while riding? My bike jacket doesn't cover below the belt line much. Probably less while leaning forward. The only realistic carry option I can figure is Shoulder rig. Any other options ?
    I use a "Safepacker" sometimes (if I am wearing just a T shirt") most times a leather vest with a built in pocket for carry, (there are numerous ones available) or an OWB with a bandana tied around the lower holster and the vest takes care of the grip, shoulder rigs look nice but are too hot down here in South FL.

I am waiting on a Brigade gunleather M 11 and Milt Sparks VM II, when I get those I will use either one , but then I ride a Harley and sit upright, a buddy of mine that rides a ricer uses a tuckable, 3.30 to 4.00 and does not have a problem with it.

Hope some of this babble helps

Lead Moderator
    Sounds like either a fanny pack or shoulder rig for me. Another problem I see is how to disarm when needed (without being seen). I figure a COM safe or similar bolted to the rear cargo deck (hidden inside a cloth bag) should work well.
    BTW, the bike is a Kaw. KLR dual sport.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    You might check out the 'vests' thread currently running: http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...-clothing.html
    Hey, people EXPECT you to have a vest!

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    Another problem I see is how to disarm when needed (without being seen). I figure a COM safe or similar bolted to the rear cargo deck (hidden inside a cloth bag) should work well.
    BTW, the bike is a Kaw. KLR dual sport.
    KLR? 650? I have a KTM super moto that I am wanting to trade to a guy for his KLR..anyway, as for dissarming, you will just have to be "discrete" abt it..take a look at the bike holster that SandS sales offers (link above in AZ Huskers post)..I got one for the harley and here in AR, concealed means CONCEALED so Steve at S&S made a cover for my gun holster which will work for me...some think that I will ride with my gun in this holster, rest assured that I will not, my gun ride with me, on me! This bike holster comes in handy when you have to disarm according to law as to what property you abt to enter.

"Brains before Bullets"

Shoulder rig in the winter, fanny pack during the spring summer and fall.....

That is one cool holster, DrLewall.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by edr9x23super View Post

That is one cool holster, DrLewall.
    That is a great looking lock down holster.

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I have tried most "normal carry rigs while riding, and IWB does not work very well for me. I usually carry a kel-tek p3at in a strong side pocket holster. There is always a little apprehention for me carrying this way because the gun is not very accessible. However, I can't see myself pulling a rambo and needing to shoot while still saddled up. Also, my strong side is also my throttle side, so regardless, I would not be able to handle the gun while moving. My dad has used a stong side ankle holster carry style and he swears by it. But it does not work very well with high riding boots. Good luck!

Btw, I ride a sportster and the riding position is somewhere between a sportbike and a full dresser/ bagger. IWB posesd issues of being detected. Shoulder rigs arew just too hot in the summer and they are also very difficult to access while wearing a jacket/cover garment.
    I'm married to my Kahr.

I use a shoulder rig in cooler weather with my jacket on. In warmer weather, I'll carry IWB in a Crossbreed holster or throw the XD SC 9mm in the tank bag.

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    IWB as usual. If I ware my assless chaps I usually put my 380 inside my jacket in the phone pocket. I don't like the strap from my chaps going over my gun.

AIWB for me, with either an untucked shirt or vest.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links