Moving from NY to Tampa

Moving from NY to Tampa

This is a discussion on Moving from NY to Tampa within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have looked at the maps and websites I was hoping for some advice on moving. On May 30 I leave ROchester NY for a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving from NY to Tampa

Moving from NY to Tampa

I have looked at the maps and websites I was hoping for some advice on moving. On May 30 I leave ROchester NY for a move to Tampa Florida. My parents will be with me for the trip in my SUV and my mom is driving me crazy about the guns. I have read and assume that as long as they are unloaded in the far back of the truck with gunlocks, mags and ammo stored seperate, there should not be a problem. I requested the AAA trip tic to go AROUND DC.

Any other concerns I should have? I have a NY permit and am waiting for FLorida. It will be cutting it close. We will be stopping in NC for an over night stay.

Go to Handgunlaw.us
    and check on both your NY permit and your FL permit.

If your FL CWFL comes in you look good to go, and can carry most, if not all, the way as long as you stay out of WV.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

BAC
    Welcome to a more gun friendly state. Be ready to see familiar (New York) faces down here, too.

-B

Be careful about New Jersey and Maryland. And stay OUT of the District of Columbia.

The Route To Freedom

Take I-81 to I-75 to the Tampa area - avoid the I-95 run down the coast. The road is better, less traffic, AND YOU COMPLETELY AVOID NYC, NJ, AND DC, AND ARE IN MD FOR ONLY A FEW MILES BETWEEN PENNSYLVANIA AND VIRGINIA.

Check HANDGUN.US for all the rules.

Two areas I know well - if the permit has not arrived:

1. The Virginia part of I-81 allows open carry.
    2. You can have a loaded gun in the glove compartment in Florida.

With your permit, you are good to go all the way south after you leave the PRNY except in Maryland. Back of the SUV and unloaded. Unload the mags.

Concealed Carry Reciprocity - Division of Licensing, DOACS

Don't forget to call the Florida people and get your address on your CCW changed as soon as you get your permit - that will allow you reciprocity with several states that require you be a resident. When did you send it in?
    George H. Foster
    Orlando, Florida

Well I actually got correspondence back saying I was evaluated but the needed more info. I got in trouble for a fight 8 years ago when I was 20 and ended up with a reckless endangerment misdemeanor. Apparently this showed up as the original charge so they wanted to disposition. I should have sent it the first time but it said VIOLENT misdemeanor and I was told it wasnt considered violent. So I sent it March 20 received the letter on may 6 or 7 and then faxed it two days later. I originally sent them a copy of my NY permit also. Hopefully with in the next 2 weeks itll work out.

Quote Originally Posted by GHFLRLTD View Post
    Take I-81 to I-75 to the Tampa area - avoid the I-95 run down the coast. The road is better, less traffic, AND YOU COMPLETELY AVOID NYC, NJ, AND DC, AND ARE IN MD FOR ONLY A FEW MILES BETWEEN PENNSYLVANIA AND VIRGINIA.

Check HANDGUN.US for all the rules.

Two areas I know well - if the permit has not arrived:

1. The Virginia part of I-81 allows open carry.
    2. You can have a loaded gun in the glove compartment in Florida.

With your permit, you are good to go all the way south after you leave the PRNY except in Maryland. Back of the SUV and unloaded. Unload the mags.

Concealed Carry Reciprocity - Division of Licensing, DOACS

Don't forget to call the Florida people and get your address on your CCW changed as soon as you get your permit - that will allow you reciprocity with several states that require you be a resident. When did you send it in?
    Your FL permit must match your FL driver's license (to be a resident)...get the DL upon arriving in FL...use your parents' address if you don't have one as of yet...your plates for your car will be a little expensive ($$$) the first time.

Welcome to the Gunshine State...
    What's your occupation...if you don't mind sharing?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Well I have been in food service for the last 10 years. Supervising a kitchen in a nursing home. I just got my associates in Business admin and am trying to break into a bus career. I actually dont have a job as of yet. THought one was lcked up and I was wrong. I am scrambling now.

Florida's economy is in a state of flux.......good luck

Ya, thats what I am finding out. I always have food service to fall back on. All those nursing homes? Some ones gotta cook for them

BAC
    Food service is a no-go right now, in Tampa anyway. You might get hired, but right now there's more money to be made back of the house than front. Ask me how I know.

-B

I think I can answer that myself................

Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    Welcome to a more gun friendly state. Be ready to see familiar (New York) faces down here, too.

-B
    and NJ ones too

To answer the original ?, I set up in FL and then had my weapons shipped down. I wasn't thinking about driving the guns down knowing how anti gun most states were at the time. I know this doesn't help much.

Google US Code Sec. !8 and then print out the part about transporting
    firearms. That should calm Mom somewhat.The route on I 81 seems best.Stay out of NJ if at all possible.
    Hugh

I would pack my firearms as you first posted and not touch them until I got to Virginia. Then I would take 1 pistol and move it to the glove box. You have to unload the guns but you do not have to empty the magazines. Store them separately to begin with. Good luck and welcome. As to the route, 81S to 40W to75S just west of Knoxville is the best way. NC is not included in that route though.
    Life is too short to be serious!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links