Question: Why Wal-Mart as Rite-of-Passage? - Page 3

Question: Why Wal-Mart as Rite-of-Passage?

This is a discussion on Question: Why Wal-Mart as Rite-of-Passage? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by JonInNY Hi All- I was just curious, why so many people use Wal-Mart as a starting point for their CCW? The answer ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JonInNY View Post
    Hi All-

I was just curious, why so many people use Wal-Mart as a starting point for their CCW?
    The answer quite simply is that no other stores have a "Miggy Map" to guide you.
    America: Your government is not ignoring you, it's insulting you.

The Bill of Rights: Void where prohibited by law.

Do you people know that Wal-Mart has signed on to Mayor Bloomberg and his anti-gun nonsense? I for one will never shop there.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by havegunjoe View Post
    Do you people know that Wal-Mart has signed on to Mayor Bloomberg and his anti-gun nonsense? I for one will never shop there.
    How appropriate then that we "pop our CCW cherry" in their store! Okay, skip the nachos!

I'll bet the hypocrites don't stop selling guns and ammo though!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Hmm, I don't recall where I first carried, long time ago, back when I used to live in PA. Actually, I don't think I made any special plans. I probably just started carrying as soon as I got the CCW, wherever I happened to be going that day was where I went .

I can see why people would choose Walmart though. It's a familiar place that many people feel comfortable in and where no one really pays any special attention to any one specific person.

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Wal-Mart stores and most specifically their parking lots have been the center of many crimes including several notable ones over the past decade.

Run a news source query toward WalMart stores and criminal victimization. You will be surprised.
    Wow - I am surprised. Then again, maybe not. It probably explains why I hate shopping there. Everyone looks like they want to kill somebody if they get in their way. Sort of like retail road rage.....
    Keep emotionally active. Cater to your favorite neurosis.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cakewalk View Post
    Sort of like retail road rage.....
    Now that right thar is funny!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

If you'll notice, one of the stops on Miggy's map is the ammo counter. As far as I know, the Valu-Pack of WWB is still the best price in town here. When I visit WW now, I head straight back to the ammo counter, buy a couple boxes of WWB and back out the front doors (after you've followed Miggy's map completely at least one time, I believe this does not violate the DC code of conduct). As far as the nachos, everybody has to try them at least once.
    Welcome to Tennessee, the patron state of shootin' stuff.--SHOOTER

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    I also wonder what the big deal is all about??

When I first started carrying it was when I went into Boston or Brockton, back in 1976. No particular place or date, I just felt the need to have some sort of protection when mixing it up in those swill-holes.

Self-conscious, you bet, but I never carried somewhere as an "experiment".

Maybe it's something in the air? water? latte? that makes people feel that this is necessary?

Subway!!

I guess my 24-Hour walmart down the street is health concious because they have a full fledged SUBWAY! woot!

So when I get to make my first trip, I can eat healthy, and stay safe at the same time

On the note of Walmart crime... I remember about 5 or so seperate incidents happening in the parking lot. Walmarts parking lots are huge, and a 24-hour walmart has some seedy people going into it later at night.

Quote Originally Posted by LiveLFF View Post
    I guess my 24-Hour walmart down the street is health concious because they have a full fledged SUBWAY! woot!

So when I get to make my first trip, I can eat healthy, and stay safe at the same time

On the note of Walmart crime... I remember about 5 or so seperate incidents happening in the parking lot. Walmarts parking lots are huge, and a 24-hour walmart has some seedy people going into it later at night.
    I understood that lacking nachos, "eating healthy" was not a qualified substitute--I'd say the Subway will work, but only if you have them slather on the mayo....
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Everybody in Tally walks with a limp. We get it from our neighbors in GA...
    LMAO! Hey! I dont have a limp . . . yet.
    “I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.”
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Quote Originally Posted by JonInNY View Post
    Hi All-

I was just curious, why so many people use Wal-Mart as a starting point for their CCW? I think that just going out in public, anywhere for the first time, should earn you bragging rights for that first CCW walk.
    Nice question. I noticed the same thing, and thought I had missed some tradition or something. No one ever told me....

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyC4
    I understood that lacking nachos, "eating healthy" was not a qualified substitute--I'd say the Subway will work, but only if you have them slather on the mayo....
    Gotta look a little closer. Last night I looked while shopping, where would I find the nachos... Turns out, our Wal-Mart has a Subway too. And they've got the "traditional" Wal-Mart "edibles" there, Slussie, Nachos, etc. all inside the Subway! (I still skipped the Nachos.... but then, I've been carrying for like 20+ years ).
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Tally XD View Post
    LMAO! Hey! I dont have a limp . . . yet.
    I do... and I'm only 34. I'm tellin' ya, it's those dang people from Thomasville......
    Keep emotionally active. Cater to your favorite neurosis.

I can't recall any news stories of some crazy person busting open fire in a Wal Mart.
    Surely unrelated to the topic but Walmart does appear to have a pretty high body count. Google < Walmart shooting > search got me 662,000 hits I'm sure that not all those are separate shootings but compared to a Sears shooting search on Google got a 236,000 hits. I did the search because I recalled that for a while there seemed to be a couple of Walmart shootings a week. I could see the antis having a hay day with that bit of trivia.

Dang Janq you beat me to it had not read that far yet seems I outta read the whole thread before posting
    Last edited by LongRider; May 20th, 2008 at 10:18 PM. Reason: Dang Janq beat me to it
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links