Pennsbury Manor PA

Pennsbury Manor PA

This is a discussion on Pennsbury Manor PA within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm chaperoning a 3rd grade trip to Pennsbury Manor which happens to be a couple of miles from the range I go to. I figure ...

Thread: Pennsbury Manor PA

Pennsbury Manor PA

I'm chaperoning a 3rd grade trip to Pennsbury Manor which happens to be a couple of miles from the range I go to. I figure go on the trip and then go to the range. My son is happy I went on the trip with him, I'm happy I get to release some stress.

I can not find anything on their website that mentions CC, so I'm assuming it's OK. My concern is what about all the school children, is it a good idea.

Thanks for your opinions.

It is a good idea if something happens, yes. Since we never know this in advance, I would carry. But that is just me.
    And one of the reasons I would carry is BECAUSE of all the school children. As long as Philadelphia is within driving distance, you cannot be too careful. True, the chances of something bad happening are low, but they are not zero.
    Surrounded and outnumbered, Marine Col Lewis Puller: "Good! We finally got 'em where we want 'em!" (Korea, 1950)

Administrator
    Find out if this is in any way applicable to your plans to carry a firearm. (see bold)
    I'm best guessing "in any conveyance" to mean any vehicle of transport

912. Possession of weapon on school property.

(a) Definition.--Notwithstanding the definition of "weapon" in section 907 (relating to possessing instruments of crime), "weapon" for purposes of this section shall include but not be limited to any knife, cutting instrument, cutting tool, nun-chuck stick, firearm, shotgun, rifle and any other tool, instrument or implement capable of inflicting serious bodily injury.

(b) Offense defined.--A person commits a misdemeanor of the first degree if he possesses a weapon in the buildings of, on the grounds of, or in any conveyance providing transportation to or from any elementary or secondary publicly-funded educational institution, any elementary or secondary private school licensed by the Department of Education or any elementary or secondary parochial school.

(c) Defense.--It shall be a defense that the weapon is possessed and used in conjunction with a lawful supervised school activity or course or is possessed for other lawful purpose.

ADIVSORY NOTE: At the moment, there has been thus far no court cases interpreting “possessed for a lawful purpose” insofar as applied to those licensed under 6109, exempted under 6106(b), or open carrying on foot without the benefit of being licensed or exempted on school grounds.
    For the moment, until there is a controlling case law on whether or not being so licensed, exempted, or lawful is considered an “other lawful purpose”, before you file a criminal complaint based only on this provision of the law, be sure you can commit yourself to a long drawn out legal process where you will be personally called upon to repeatedly defend your interpretation of what was specifically unlawful and why. it may be helpful for you to maintain a collection your department's training materials and policies which cover this. you can expect various levels of your department's management may not agree with your interpretation of unlawful use, be ready to counter their testimony....................................
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I didn't know whether you were leaving from a school or not, but in my state the ONLY place where a firearm is prohibited is any school K thru college, and even then it is allowed with written permission from that school or schools. So if you are taking the kids on a field trip but not leaving from the school or its property, that would be different. Field trip could be on a Sat or Sun and would not involve the school property at all, but QKSHooter is absoutely right.
    Surrounded and outnumbered, Marine Col Lewis Puller: "Good! We finally got 'em where we want 'em!" (Korea, 1950)

I'm actually meeting the kids at the facility and not their school.

I guess you should also ask, what does PA law state about school organized events? If this is school sponsored does that not make the facility then an extension of the school as long as the kids are there?

Personally I say carry, at least in the vehicle because not only are you a chaperone to keep the kids in line you are also, IMO, to protect them with your life if necessary.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Here in texas since the location is not rented for the school activity exclusively just like say a field trip to the public zoo you could legally carry,as far as what i read as far as you driving you're own car and meeting them there you are not riding in or providing transportation so should be ok.I personally would carry
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Sponsored Links