Utah to Washington drive

Utah to Washington drive

This is a discussion on Utah to Washington drive within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey I am planning a trip to Seattle in the next little bit, I'm in Utah and will be heading through up through Idaho, Oregon, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Utah to Washington drive

Hey I am planning a trip to Seattle in the next little bit, I'm in Utah and will be heading through up through Idaho, Oregon, and then into Washington. Any special things I need to know or do before heading up? Will it be a problem to carry IWB through all the states or will I need to disarm and lock it in my trunk or something? If anyone has any knowledge on this I would greatly appreciate it. Please be specific, I would hate to run into trouble and risk my gun getting confiscated or worse. While in Seattle, will I be able to carry? WA. is a reciprocity state with Utah isn't it?
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed."
    -Alexander Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by mustang00066 View Post
    Hey I am planning a trip to Seattle in the next little bit, I'm in Utah and will be heading through up through Idaho, Oregon, and then into Washington. Any special things I need to know or do before heading up? Will it be a problem to carry IWB through all the states or will I need to disarm and lock it in my trunk or something? If anyone has any knowledge on this I would greatly appreciate it. Please be specific, I would hate to run into trouble and risk my gun getting confiscated or worse. While in Seattle, will I be able to carry? WA. is a reciprocity state with Utah isn't it?
    IANAL but I believe you should be good to go (assuming you have a permit for carry). I assume you've checked Handgunlaw.us ?

Another consideration: Fixed Blades Illegal in Seattle (and potentially other knives)

Edited to Add:

I guess I skimmed your post initially. You are not Kosher in Oregon with your permit. They do not honor any out of state permits there. If you want to carry, consider a more northerly route...
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Idaho and Washington should not be a problem. Your Utah permit covers you in both states.

Oregon on the other hand does NOT recognize any permits from any other states. You may not conceal anywhere in Oregon. You will be limited to Open Carry.

Firearms may be openly carried in cars in Oregon without any license except where localities have made open carry illegal. To my knowledge, only the cities of Portland, Beaverton, Tigard, Oregon City, Salem, and Independence have passed loaded firearms bans encompassing all public places.

IANAL
    --
    Your second amendment rights are showing!
    http://www.opencarry.org

Thank you for the info, going through Oregon (according to mapquest) seems to be the best route to get where I am wanting to go in the fastest time. I will just have to unload and keep it on the seat next to me for the 2-3 hours I'm traveling through Oregon. Thank you very very much for all your help matiki and RWW!
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed."
    -Alexander Hamilton

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Right Wing Wacko View Post
    Idaho and Washington should not be a problem. Your Utah permit covers you in both states.

Oregon on the other hand does NOT recognize any permits from any other states. You may not conceal anywhere in Oregon. You will be limited to Open Carry.

Firearms may be openly carried in cars in Oregon without any license except where localities have made open carry illegal. To my knowledge, only the cities of Portland, Beaverton, Tigard, Oregon City, Salem, and Independence have passed loaded firearms bans encompassing all public places.

IANAL
    In Oregon, you will be better off to unload it rather than take the risk of any hassle since you will be an out of stater.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

All of the bad guys will be sure to obey the rules as well right?

Quote Originally Posted by turbobore View Post
    All of the bad guys will be sure to obey the rules as well right?
    They'll be weeded out at the gas stations, where it's a crime to pump your own gas (in Oregon).
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Quote Originally Posted by matiki View Post
    They'll be weeded out at the gas stations, where it's a crime to pump your own gas (in Oregon).
    After living in other states, I happen to love no self serve gas. I don't have to get out in the rain/cold/snow to fuel my vehicle, if the attendant confuses gas and diesel then they are responsible, it has no effect on our pricing (often times our neighboring states are more expensive), and it provides a large number of jobs to those who would otherwise be out of work and a drain on our unemployment.

And we don't have a sales tax either.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by mustang00066 View Post
    Thank you for the info, going through Oregon (according to mapquest) seems to be the best route to get where I am wanting to go in the fastest time. I will just have to unload and keep it on the seat next to me for the 2-3 hours I'm traveling through Oregon. Thank you very very much for all your help matiki and RWW!
    You will be in Oregon longer than a couple of hours. Take 15 north to 90 go west on 90 will take you straight into Seattle. By pass Oregon completely It might be a bit longer that way but is the prettier and faster route. 90 is wide open interstate. There are two Oregon routes one has you in Oregon most of your trip along the Dalles some parts of which are beautiful but it is a tedious drive and once you hit Portland the drive up 5 is one big burb.The other route on 26 I think to 84 to 5 will take forever. I'd just strap my gun on, skip Oregon and not worry about it
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Quote Originally Posted by SonofASniper View Post

And we don't have a sales tax either.
    Stoopid sales tax.

It's almost 10% in Seattle now...

OP - are you sure you want to visit Seattle?

Quote Originally Posted by matiki View Post
    OP - are you sure you want to visit Seattle?
    Hopefully he will make it across the water or over the mountains to see some civilized parts of Washington off of the I-5 corridor
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Dang, I'll be doing a similar trip in July. I'm going from Utah and staying with friends in Oregon, then making a day trip up to Seattle. So apparently the majority of the trip i'll be "naked"...

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    Dang, I'll be doing a similar trip in July. I'm going from Utah and staying with friends in Oregon, then making a day trip up to Seattle. So apparently the majority of the trip i'll be "naked"...
    Or you can just hire me to travel with you while you are in Oregon. I can carry multiple firearms, and if something happens you just have to reach over to my weakside and draw a weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by SonofASniper View Post
    Or you can just hire me to travel with you while you are in Oregon. I can carry multiple firearms, and if something happens you just have to reach over to my weakside and draw a weapon.
    Nice! I like that thinking. I can introduce you to my friends and girlfriend as my "strong side".

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    Nice! I like that thinking. I can introduce you to my friends and girlfriend as my "strong side".
    I had to read that about three times before it clicked, and then I just about spewed soda all over my computer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links