Smaller airports

This is a discussion on Smaller airports within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I picked up one of our small regional airports as a client. No metal detectors No security I'm not usually near aircraft, only in the ...

Thread: Smaller airports

Smaller airports

I picked up one of our small regional airports as a client.
    No metal detectors
    No security
    I'm not usually near aircraft, only in the offices
    No signage, at all

What's the deal for CCW at an FSO
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    That will be a State issue, will vary from State to State depending on the wording of "prohibited places". Some refer to "Secure areas" which the small airports don't have. I've seen others that refer to "Public buildings" or "Public areas" of airports. That'd be a gray area at best in many small airports.

As a private pilot, I generally enter these places as air crew. In Michigan, if there's no TSA checkpoint, I'm armed.
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

VIP Member
    What airport?
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    The sterile area is off-limits per Homeland Security.
    The rest of the place is probably governed by State law.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

What's the Airport Identifier (i.e; JFK)?

I'm a private pilot also, flying out of 20N in NY, and CCW if fine there... (don't ask... don't tell). There is usually no screening at these smaller and regional airports. I know that if I fly to a larger airport, there will be security checks. I just generally stay away from the big airports. There's always a small one near where I'm going.

It seems to me, that if you are allowed to carry, per state law, and there is no TSA or federal involvment at the smaller airport, then it's probably ok to CCW at the field. I cannot advise you, however, on travelling across state lines, in a private plane. If it's a commercial, paid-for flight, then it's off-limits to CCW.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

You cannot attempt to board a commercial flight while armed, and that attempt starts when you go through a screening device. Until then, it is just another place. Everywhere I have been since 9/11 has GA and commercial well separated, but there might be somewhere that allows a GA pilot to walk past screening on the way out, requiring them to get screened on the way back. In that case, I am not sure what to do. Call ahead if you have no clue, as I do.

No screening devices or people from the front door to the hangers. Only "commercial" flights are business jets and helo rentals/training
    Funny...I made mention of never being out of the business offices...until I went to the maintenance hanger today.
    Didn't see anything telling me I can't carry there.
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

Small Airports

I'm a pilot and also am manager of a smaller airport in Colorado.

So here's the scoop:

Perimeter security at our airport consists of a 3 wire barbed wire fence.

Administration building security consists of locks on outside doors (for when we go home at night).

There is NO signage restricting firearms. Be aware that in Colorado, open carry is OK although seldom used.

Our traffic consists of a mixture of private, corporate and military aircraft.

My staff and myself are usually armed since we work shifts mostly alone and are several miles from help if needed. (concealed of course).

Wildlife seems to be more of a threat than humans so far. Be careful when debarking your aircraft because there are rattlesnakes around in the summer months plus an occasional bear.

Had a civilian jet strike a coyote on takeoff a few months ago which resulted in a bloody Citation jet and a neatly beheaded coyote.

As airport manager, I get to make the rules and rule #1 here is, "Don't ask, don't tell".

Works for us.

...Skye...

Quote Originally Posted by Skye View Post
    I'm a pilot and also am manager of a smaller airport in Colorado....Skye...
    Hi Skye-

What's your airport designator? Maybe next time in flying in that area I can stop in and say hi. I fly out of 20N in Kingston, NY, altitude 150'.

Here's my airport:

Jonathan
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

I fly in and out of FBOs frequently and I have a contract pilot doing the flying. The entry exit for all of the airports I have traveled through in our corporate aircraft is outside of the secured area. I usually have to carry my own bags to and from the plane. And I've never had to pass through a metal detector. I carry a lot of equipment and tools with me, which would be very cumbersome. if they had to be examined every time.
    Yoda, I am, yes.

I'm a corporate pilot out of Tulsa. When passengers come to our airplane, there's no metal detectors or TSA screening. Although they do get checked against the No-Fly list. But other than that not much. Outside of the TSA secure area at the main terminal and red zones, the firearm regs are up to the businesses. We've got the usual "must be locked" etc, etc. But generally it's more of a don't ask, don't tell issue with us pilots. There are many different levels of security depending on airports, money, who runs it (city, county, state, etc.) and a million other factors. But for the small private strips, the security usually falls to the aircraft owner and that's as good or bad as that person wants it. Of course when even the smallest Piper Cub runs over 30 grand, you can safely bet the security will be better.

You should be fine carrying. As long as the state that I am flying to reconizes my GFL, I carry anywhere. I never have to pass through any TSA secured areas - this is what matters. The ramp area for general aviation aircraft is usually isolated by a security boundry from the commercial. No carrying for pilots that fly for hire. See AOPA at AOPA Online: in their forums and search flying with guns. The members are about 50/50 for and against carrying - but you will be able to read all the regs.

JonInNY

KTAD is the airport designator.

If I'm working, you can be assured that a fresh pot of coffee will be on the burner.

...Skye...

Quote Originally Posted by Skye View Post
    KTAD is the airport designator.
    Thanks. Checked it out on AirNav. It looks really isolated. At 5762 ft, though, you probably have to pedal really hard on a humid day to get aloft!
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Links