What percentage is it? - Page 2

What percentage is it?

This is a discussion on What percentage is it? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I think that if you have a failure at the ranges statistics say are average for a gunfight you will not have time to reload ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I think that if you have a failure at the ranges statistics say are average for a gunfight you will not have time to reload or clear a jam.
    Yes, I understand that one can conjure up a scenario where he would need one and have time to change mags. But one can also conjure up a scenario where he will need two or three.

I do not think that there are statistice, but in one's own experience how many times with the first magazine have you had a malfunction that needed an extra magazine?

If I had such with my guns I would not carry that particular gun.

If one wants to carry a spare have at it. That is different from a need. I think the need is zero for a CHL holder and an attack where he would have to use deadly force.

Jerry

TOF
    One grain of sand in the right place can stop a round from being loaded. If you are cocked and locked you are good for one round. It may slow the BG down but it often times takes more than one to stop the aggression.

Your backup mag just might be what stops it.
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." - Thomas Jefferson

I only carry an extra mag for my colt defender when i'm Not carrying my BUG, I figure if i had a failure it would be faster to get my BUG out of my pocket holster then to dump the bad mag get the new mag and load it and chamber a round.
    EDC's Colt Defender 45 acp and S&W 442 .38
    Springfield XD 45 acp
    Ruger SR9
    Ruger Super RedHawk .44 mag
    mossberg 590 12 gauge tactical
    bushmaster AR15-M4

If it can happen, it will happen...statistically at the worst possible moment.

I carry a spare because I have always carried a spare, counterbalance and extra ammo.

Due to my profession, I am more likely to have a spare magazine failure due to grit getting inside the mag and locking up the follower. I am faced with the conundrum of repeated unloading, disassembly and reloading of the magazine causing premature stress on the spring.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Senior Member Array ElMonoDelMar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    I carry a spare because I have always carried a spare, counterbalance and extra ammo.
    This is another good point. I find that carrying a spare is actually easier than not carrying one. It does balance out the belt quite a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    I have always just based that on what I have read by Nonte & Hallock and various other assorted professional gunsmiths.
    They state that bad or defective mags are the #1 cause of semi-auto failure.

I'm not sure where or how you would find any published statistics.

#2 would be an improperly fit, tuned, and/or tensioned extractor.
    Thank you QKShooter for addressing the actual question asked. Now, I can actually go and look at the information provided to learn more.

I figured when I posted this, most of the responses would be based on opinion, but it is nice to know someone has information to look into further.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

I think maybe mags are not the number one failure "on the street". It's just that it's the one thing we can only address by replacement in an actual shooting. We make sure our gun is clean and lubed. We go to the range to make sure we don't limp-wrist or cause some other operator induced failure. When we clean we inspect our extractors and ejectors for wear or cracks. We have our firearms inspected by gunsmiths periodicaly throughout their lifetimes.

We do all these things but untill we pull the trigger with our favorite mag in the weapon we can not know if the last time at the range we bent the feed rail. So we carry a spare. Is the # 1 thing hyperbole? Probably. But it is certainly a field expedient repair for a common and unforseeable problem.-Jay

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links