VA Laws - "No Weapons" signs.

This is a discussion on VA Laws - "No Weapons" signs. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I still find it interesting that they still have such restrictive laws for those who follow the law. I know there are those who pass ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: VA Laws - "No Weapons" signs.

I still find it interesting that they still have such restrictive laws for those who follow the law. I know there are those who pass by and get their license and still show they are knuckleheads, but I would bet that the majority are not that way. I think that people would want cert holders to carry in certain situations, as long as it is not known by the general public (hence concealed carry).

Here's one to throw out at ya'. Suppose you go in to said mall with the sign, say it is a legal sign (as in TX it would be the specific posting inciting TX Penal Code 30.06) and you carry anyway. Yes, you are breaking the law, no need for discussion here. But suppose someone looses all sense of reality and starts blasting like in Omaha. As a responsible person your first thought should be to get as many people out as possible, but this BG is in between you and the door. So now being the trained (hopefully) shooter you are you cover and take aim, BANG BANG, 2 and a drop.

Ok, you have broken the law yourself but you have also possibly spared the lives of many, let's say you do for this question, are you brought up on charges or does your bravery pay the debt of the fine for carrying in an off limits area?
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    No such thing as a "legal" sign in Virginia.

Most malls have more than one exit. It probably wouldn't be smart to engage a shooter with victims standing all around you. Maybe move them to another exit and return to where the shooter is if you want to engage them?

Since there are no legal signs and no penalty for carrying on posted private property unless you refuse to leave when asked, no problem in Virginia.

If you would like to discuss scenarios in Texas go ahead an start a thread or do a search. As I recall the Texas 30.06 sign and carry has been discussed on the forums a few times before and we have a lot of members from the great state of Texas who would chime in.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    After some research, the Magistrate finally responded with the following:

3) This Magistrate said there appears to be a "prohibition without penalty", meaning that you just "weren't supposed to do it" and there was no punishment if you did.
    That's the way I've been reading it.

Remember, Virginia is an Open Carry State. if you can legally own a gun you can carry it -- except where it is prohibited. All that clause does IMHO is say that a CHP doesn't trump private property rights.

IMHO, it is like all the other "NO this" and "Must that" requirements private property owners can place on the use of their property. It just one of many Do-or-Don't requirements to being served or to using the services/facilities, etc -- NO outside food or drink, NO bare feet, NO cutoffs, teas, blue jeans (proper golf attire required), Shirts required, Coat & tie required, etc, etc.

However, I suspect (and other are "sure') that you could be sited for Trespass. However, I can't find any thing in the Trespass law that gets specific to guns.

What I am not sure of is whether or not private property that is otherwise open to the public have to prove that you "knew" you were not allowed with a gun. How small can the small print be???

I know of a Hospital that as a matter of policy give you a warning and put you on a "restricted list." If you ever return to that Hospital for any reason with a gun for any reason press trespass charges.
    If you ever return for except to seek medical attention for yourself or or your immediate family or to visit a member of your immediate family, they then press trespass charges. [However, for what it is worth, they also have a "restricted list" loiterers, folk sleeping on the grounds, etc.]
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

It is a Tres. Violation. Have had OCDO members asked to leave VA malls because they were open carrying. If you refuse to leave then they can hand you over to the police. But if you depart there are no issues.

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Having just went several hours up to potomac mills mall, I saw no carry signs as well. Small print, off to the side,...Underneath everything, it states that failure to comply with ANY of the rules will result in being asked to leave, THEN a trespassing charge.

Also when locally into an American General loan office (with a friend for them,..I got enough bills lol) and saw a sign there merely had a revolver with a red cross out circle around it. I thought of something I read on here along time ago,... "No revolvers? Well good thing I carry an auto,.."

Quote Originally Posted by Ghettokracker71 View Post
    Having just went several hours up to potomac mills mall, I saw no carry signs as well. Small print, off to the side,...Underneath everything, it states that failure to comply with ANY of the rules will result in being asked to leave, THEN a trespassing charge.
    Seems to me that if you conceal effectively, then you won't be asked to leave. If you conceal ineffectively, and you're asked to leave, you say goodbye and leave.

I guess I just don't get the mindset. If a criminal bent on robbing a store or two wanted to carry, he wouldn't give a crap about the sign.
    -Tony

"Those who beat their guns into plowshares will plow for those who didn't." -- Thomas Jefferson

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links