Reciprocity question. Texas to N.C?

This is a discussion on Reciprocity question. Texas to N.C? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok guys I have a little argument going on at another forum. There is a guy who lives in Texas and is moving to N.C. ...

Thread: Reciprocity question. Texas to N.C?

Reciprocity question. Texas to N.C?

Ok guys I have a little argument going on at another forum. There is a guy who lives in Texas and is moving to N.C. He holds a Texas concealed carry permit. Texas and N.C have a reciprocity agreement so if you have a permit in one state you can carry in the other as long as you obey all of that states rules. The thing is the N.C. statute is unclear on the change of residency. If changing residency wouldnt the person in question have to get a N.C. permit? Am I correct in thinking that Texas is not going to do an address change on a current permit to a N.C address? Thanks.

2. Remove Ads

I think your friend needs to look at the Texas statues relating to his CHL in Texas. You do have a specific amount of time to notify the state that you have a new address. I believe it is only 30 days. My guess is that once he notifies them that he is no longer a resident, ie, my address has changed and now it is in NC, he will no longer be able to keep a Texas resident CHL. Someone else may have more info or correct this if it is wrong.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Texas DPS - Crime Records Service is the page to change your address online; since one of the required documents is a Texas Driver's License, I think most people are smart enough to realize that moving out of state is going to be a problem.

However, since Texas does issue non-resident permits, he may be able to have an administrative change made in his permit type. I doubt it, but who knows?
    Visit my Winchester Ranger Talon page for current pricing.

There was another thread somewhere sort of addressing this as best as I can remember. If you have a non-resident permit from a state that NC has reciprocity then it will be honored by NC even if you are a resident of NC. In short even if he is a resident of NC his TX permit will still be honored by NC.

However if he is no longer a resident of TX then I doubt that TX will consider his permit valid. As someone suggested to see if he can get it changed to a non-resident TX permit. IF so then he would not need a NC permit. Otherwise he is going to have to get a NC permit. I would hat to get stopped and my permit say I was a resident of TX and my drivers license say I was a resident of NC.

Quote Originally Posted by FN1910 View Post

However if he is no longer a resident of TX then I doubt that TX will consider his permit valid. As someone suggested to see if he can get it changed to a non-resident TX permit. IF so then he would not need a NC permit. Otherwise he is going to have to get a NC permit. I would hat to get stopped and my permit say I was a resident of TX and my drivers license say I was a resident of NC.
    I do believe you are correct. If he moves to NC he has to have a NC drivers license and at that point I believe he will also have to have a NC CW permit.

The real issue is we need to have full reciprocity so that you can transfer from one state to another. But I do not believe we have yet reached that point.

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by FIS0008 View Post
    I do believe you are correct. If he moves to NC he has to have a NC drivers license and at that point I believe he will also have to have a NC CW permit.

The real issue is we need to have full reciprocity so that you can transfer from one state to another. But I do not believe we have yet reached that point.
    It might be that his only option is to get a non-resident permit for a 'third' state that NC recognizes.

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

why would any one want to leave TEXAS best bet would get a N.C. CCL, or maintain his Texas drivers lic and CCL. must visit and reg his car every year in Texas. and car inspections etc etc..forget it

I believe a florida non resident has reciprocity with a lot of states and the process time might be quicker than texas,I heard it's taking 90 days or longer due to backlog of permit applications
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I seems that some of the suggestions here are missing the point of the original post. He already has a Texas permit that is recognized by NC. No need to get another one as long as the Texas permit is valid. The question is when he moves to NC will his Texs permit be valid. There is no need to worry about a FL permit or any other state besides NC. Since he will no longer be a Texas resident then will his Texas permit be valid? I don't know but I suspect not and if it isn't he can get a NC permit.

Links