I was made today.

I was made today.

This is a discussion on I was made today. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This afternoon on my way home from work I stopped by one of my clients shop to drop off some paperwork. As usual with this ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I was made today.

This afternoon on my way home from work I stopped by one of my clients shop to drop off some paperwork. As usual with this client we got to talking about different things and such.

Well while we were talking about gas prices or something or other, he also has a gas station, he reaches over and touches my pistol which I was carrying OWB under the typical Hawian type shirt. Well it surprised me a bit that he noticed it, but nothing too alarming. Apparently my shirt got hung up on it, and made it noticeable.

Needless to say after that the discussion went to concealed carry, and the like. He also has his CHL for Texas, which he proceeded to pull out of his wallet and show me. Then we talked about hunting, and other various things. That is the first time that someone who didn't already know that I carried has made me. At least that I know of.

I doubt that if he wasn't a permit holder that he would have even noticed that I was carrying. But then again, it really doesn't matter much since I know him and found out that he also has gotten his permit recently.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Lucky he didn't draw down on you.

At least he wasn't upset about you carrying in his business.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

I carry IWB but there are times like getting out of the car or reaching high for an item on a shelf that i make sure my shirt hasn't got caught in a manner that shows my gun,owb you have to worry about the bottom of the holster showing also,I realise in todays cell phone cases etc it might not be as noticeable but to a gun nut we can spot a holster across a crowded room
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    It is good to know there is more like yourself in your circle.

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    Well while we were talking about gas prices or something or other, he also has a gas station, he reaches over and touches my pistol which I was carrying OWB under the typical Hawian type shirt. .......
    Am I the only one who feels this guy was bordering on getting himself OC'd, or some other form of injured? Someone reaching out towards my weapon, concealed or otherwise is likely to illicit some form of subconscious response from me. Usually not in the form of something they are going to like.
    Mindset - Tactics - Skills - Equipment
    http://www.ingunowners.com
    W9ZEB dot Org

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    one more person knows you carry...don't let that number get out of hand...it never leads to anything good.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HKP30 View Post
    Am I the only one who feels this guy was bordering on getting himself OC'd, or some other form of injured?
    Nope.

Not a good move.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Generally huggers (make sure you are the low hugger) or accidental brush by make me but most people don't understand what is is anyway. Most people don't see a concealed gun without one more sense helping them.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    So you got made.
    So what.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

Kind of scary, someone reaching for your weapon unexpectantly... Although you know the guy, maybe he should be reminded not to do that :(
    The 2nd Amendment: America's first Homeland Security

The reason you never want to get made is that some people may have an illogical, bad and even violent reation to the fact that you are carrying.

read through some of the threads on this very board dealing with property rights.

I never asume that people will just accept the fact that I carry a concealed weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by HKP30 View Post
    Am I the only one who feels this guy was bordering on getting himself OC'd, or some other form of injured? Someone reaching out towards my weapon, concealed or otherwise is likely to illicit some form of subconscious response from me. Usually not in the form of something they are going to like.
    Yea, well I think OCing the guy would not only loose me a client but would probably be a bad thing all around. I have known and done business with they guy for half a dozen years and him with me.

I can see the local paper headlines. Local shop owner pepper sprayed by his accountant. After that story hit, how many people you think would know I carried then. There were a couple of people in his waiting room and all this took place without any of them noticing what he did.

I have in the past tapped on a fellow CCW'ers pistol and pulled his shirt over it when I noticed the shirt had ridden up over the grip and the grip was showing.

I think some of you need to relax a bit and come down to reality. If it was someone I didnt' know or whatever that would be one thing and they would not have been left to tap on it. But to suggest that you OC or do something like that to someone you know and trust over tapping on your pistol is just down right ignorant in my opinion. This was in his shop waiting room, and apparently my shirt was caught behind it or whatever. I have no intentions of throwing down with a person in their own place of business, especially one of my clients.

And no, it really isn't a big deal. I was caught a bit off gaurd by the fact that he did notice it. Like I said, someone with out a CHL probably would not have thought anything of it, mistaking it for a cell phone or whatever.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    Yea, well I think OCing the guy would not only loose me a client but would probably be a bad thing all around. I have known and done business with they guy for half a dozen years and him with me.

I can see the local paper headlines. Local shop owner pepper sprayed by his accountant. After that story hit, how many people you think would know I carried then. There were a couple of people in his waiting room and all this took place without any of them noticing what he did.

I have in the past tapped on a fellow CCW'ers pistol and pulled his shirt over it when I noticed the shirt had ridden up over the grip and the grip was showing.

I think some of you need to relax a bit and come down to reality. If it was someone I didnt' know or whatever that would be one thing and they would not have been left to tap on it. But to suggest that you OC or do something like that to someone you know and trust over tapping on your pistol is just down right ignorant in my opinion. This was in his shop waiting room, and apparently my shirt was caught behind it or whatever. I have no intentions of throwing down with a person in their own place of business, especially one of my clients.

And no, it really isn't a big deal. I was caught a bit off gaurd by the fact that he did notice it. Like I said, someone with out a CHL probably would not have thought anything of it, mistaking it for a cell phone or whatever.

Fair enough. For some reason I had it stuck in my head you were at a gas pump talking with someone you knew as an acquaintance rather than a client you have had years of business relations with. I did re-read your original post, and can see how I was both wrong, and how I got that wrong impression.

I was not implying everyone gets the same treatment when it comes to reaching for/towards a weapon. However I "know" the guy who works in the office down the hall from me in our building. I would not react kindly to his reaching for my firearm. I also know my boss. He'd be far less likely to receive the same kind of reaction.

Either way, I've been lucky enough to date not to have been spotted. At least not that I'm aware of.
    Mindset - Tactics - Skills - Equipment
    http://www.ingunowners.com
    W9ZEB dot Org

I carry IWB and I think that goes a long way toward keeping this from happening. Even if I am reaching high my cover garment has to really ride high to expose my gun.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links