First LEO encounter with CCW...

This is a discussion on First LEO encounter with CCW... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So last night I am getting ready to leave the house and go to Wal-Mart for some late night grocery shopping. As I am walking ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First LEO encounter with CCW...

First LEO encounter with CCW...

So last night I am getting ready to leave the house and go to Wal-Mart for some late night grocery shopping. As I am walking out of the house my phone rings and I am informed the alarm at our store is going off, and I needed to respond. I already was "fully dressed" and knew that the police would be there, so I ensured I had all forms of ID with me. As we pull up to the store there were 3 cruisers there waiting for me, and I immediately show one of the officers my CCW permit. With the look on his face, and the time it took for him to review it I believe it may have been the first permit he had seen. After a couple of seconds, he shrugs his shoulders and says "ok, let's go". We walk through the store and comfirm everything is ok, and then leave.

Ok I know there isn't much excitement, although that was the point. I am glad it didn't cause any fuss or concerns for the officers. Just thought I would share since I had no idea when I would be confronted by the situation when I needed to pull out the card.

2. Remove Ads

I guess you were proactive just in case you had to draw inside the store for whatever reason. Other than that you might have been able to just keep it concealed the entire time.
    NRA Member

Senior Moderator
    Around here we expect the RP's to be armed when they show up to clear an alarm...
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by NKMG19 View Post
    I guess you were proactive just in case you had to draw inside the store for whatever reason. Other than that you might have been able to just keep it concealed the entire time.
    Actually I have my G23 on my person almost 100% of the time, so it was just a matter of time before it happened. Also in NE you are required to inform an LEO that you have a CCW in the event that you are "contacted on any official business", which last night constituted.

Ultimately the situation was relieving since I was not questioned/harassed by the LEO. That was a slight concern due to a recent incident here in Lincoln with campus police that LPD ultimately got involved in as well.

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    great to hear everything was ok, and again..it is better that the LEO know up front.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

Quote Originally Posted by snowdoctor View Post
    great to hear everything was ok, and again..it is better that the LEO know up front.
    I disagree. Concealed is just that.

All depends on your state. Here in Arizona, we're not required to tell. If asked, we must show our permit. This is one "Don't ask, don't tell" that I agree with.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

here in texas were required to notify LE anytime we are stopped or are approached in an official capacity
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    They let you in the store before they cleared it???

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

In TX we are required to tell any time we are ask for ID by LEO......

Glad it was a false alarm. Back in the 70’s I use to respond to my dad’s business alarms because I lived closer.

Over a 5 year period we had about a dozen or so false alarms and three for real. And I am sure some of the false ones where the BG’s trying the system to see how good it was.

You mean some think a LEO responding to an alarm should not know who is armed and who is not?
    If you were a LEO and you arrived at some alarm location and the owner shows up, it would be really really nice to know if he has a gun on him or not, not for the LEOS safety but just to know the most about a situation ahead of time, since the LEO has not even gone into the store yet.
    LEO does not want to creep around the store and have the owner creep around the other side and take a shot at him. This has happened.
    Or does not want the owner to take it upon himself to get into a gunfight in the store instead of the LEO confronting what may be an armed suspect inside.
    Last edited by dcb188; May 20th, 2008 at 12:28 PM. Reason: typos, run on sentences
    Surrounded and outnumbered, Marine Col Lewis Puller: "Good! We finally got 'em where we want 'em!" (Korea, 1950)

Store owner should not have his gun out if cops are there. Let them handle it they are paid to storm buildings. But circumstances dictate if you should inform them your packing.

If one hasn't done anything wrong, nore violated any state laws. It is none of their business.

I agree completely, no gun out as police pull up. But just as a courtesy I would say, hey, by the way, I am armed. That is not only a courtesy but could help the officer tactically, just to have that knowledge before he or she goes into the building. It is simple, really. Who is armed here besides me, just so I know. Not an intrusion, just information that could make a difference.
    Surrounded and outnumbered, Marine Col Lewis Puller: "Good! We finally got 'em where we want 'em!" (Korea, 1950)

+1 with informing the LEO... I'm not one, but if I were you can bet I would prefer to know who is legally armed onsite prior to investigating who may be illegally armed.

I have heard both sides of the arguement, but my preference is tell LEO for both of our benefit. Its what I would want as the responding officer.
    "...for all who draw the sword will die by the sword." Matthew 26:52

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links