GCO Sues Stone Mountain Over Gun Ban

This is a discussion on GCO Sues Stone Mountain Over Gun Ban within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Georgia Carry : An information clearinghouse for Georgia Firearms License issues and news Blog Archive GCO Sues Stone Mountain Over Gun Ban GCO ...

Thread: GCO Sues Stone Mountain Over Gun Ban

Georgia Carry : An information clearinghouse for Georgia Firearms License issues and news Blog Archive GCO Sues Stone Mountain Over Gun Ban

GCO has filed a lawsuit in the Superior Court of Dekalb County against the Stone Mountain Memorial Association, seeking to have SMMA’s ban on possession or carrying a firearm in Stone Mountain Park declared invalid. A copy of the complaint can be viewed here.

awesome, but i think they'll probably lose. if i remember right, the SMMA is supposed to be a private organization and can therefore determine whether or not weapons are allowed. BUT they do not OWN stone mountain, so technically they couldn't. this will be interesting and if GCO wins, i will definitely be one of the first to carry there. there are some creepy people wandering around on the long, dark walk back to the car from the gate.

Quote Originally Posted by mrhutch View Post
    awesome, but i think they'll probably lose. if i remember right, the SMMA is supposed to be a private organization and can therefore determine whether or not weapons are allowed. BUT they do not OWN stone mountain, so technically they couldn't. this will be interesting and if GCO wins, i will definitely be one of the first to carry there. there are some creepy people wandering around on the long, dark walk back to the car from the gate.
    SMMA is a state created corporation with the power to enact and enforce its own ordinances. However, the General Assembly has preempted firearms regulations generally and regulations on carry specifically.

SMMA's gun ban ordinances are in violation of OCGA 16-11-173 and the Georgia State Constitution.

GCO has prevailed in every preemption case they have filed. There's no reason to think the winning streak will end here.

Quote Originally Posted by mrhutch View Post
    awesome, but i think they'll probably lose.......
    Take a look at GCO's record. They just won against Atlanta. Anyone that lives in GA needs to join. They (GCO)have done more for GA carry rights than any other organization - including the NRA. They don't just lobby. They go after and sue the offenders - cities, towns, counties, judges, etc. They really have their act together.

Every state needs a GCO type organization and members to support it.
    Last edited by FlyboyLDB; May 20th, 2008 at 11:02 PM.

GCO Winning for Georgians

Quote Originally Posted by FlyboyLDB View Post
    Take a look at GCO's record. They just won against Atlanta. Anyone that lives in GA needs to join. They (GCO)have done more for GA carry rights than any other organzation - including the NRA. They don't just lobby. They go after and sue the offenders - cities, towns, counties, judges, etc. They really have their act together.

Every state needs a GCO type organazation and members to support it.
    If you are a Georgia resident who carries; or, a Georgia resident who believes in the defense of the Bill of Rights - you should join GCO.

Is there an equivalent in Texas...?

Quote Originally Posted by K4Kimber View Post
    If you are a Georgia resident who carries; or, a Georgia resident who believes in the defense of the Bill of Rights - you should join GCO.
    Or if you are an anti gun person, then you too should join the GCO. Every resident should join if you believe in the preservation of rights that our forefathers set as a cornerstone for our country.

Quote Originally Posted by FyrePhoenix View Post
    Is there an equivalent in Texas...?
    Texas State Rifle Association

Quote Originally Posted by K4Kimber View Post
    I'll second that...

Sponsored Links