Chicago lawmaker submits bill to correct HIS gun registration mistake

This is a discussion on Chicago lawmaker submits bill to correct HIS gun registration mistake within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ald. writes law to cover his forgetfulness :: CHICAGO SUN-TIMES :: Politics The hypocrisy here is just unfathomable, but then again I'm not from Chicago. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

Ald. writes law to cover his forgetfulness :: CHICAGO SUN-TIMES :: Politics

The hypocrisy here is just unfathomable, but then again I'm not from Chicago.

Oh, shoot!

Ald. Richard Mell forgot to re-register his guns (which reportedly include a Walther PPK like this one). No problem -- he'll just write a new law.

May 20, 2008

BY FRAN SPIELMAN City Hall Reporter

Ald. Richard Mell (33rd) is a former hunter with an arsenal of weapons that reportedly features shotguns, rifles and pistols, including a Walther PPK of James Bond fame.

But there's a problem.

Mell forgot to re-register the weapons as required every year by the ordinance that he helped to pass as one of the City Council's most senior members.

So, what does an alderman do when he finds himself in violation of the law? He writes a new law. Mell has quietly introduced an ordinance that would reopen gun registration in Chicago and create a one-month amnesty for himself and other gun owners in the same predicament.

During the monthlong window, gun owners who attempted to re-register their guns between May 1, 2007, and April 1, 2008, only to be rejected on grounds the registrations had lapsed would be allowed to re-register without penalty.

"It's not just for me. It's for other people with the same problem. It's giving people who legitimately registered their guns at one time only to let it slip by a chance to come back into compliance," Mell said. "Some people didn't realize that, every year, you have to re-register your guns."

As an aldermen who helps write Chicago's gun laws, Mell acknowledged that he should have been in compliance with the re-registration requirement.

"I knew it was the law. I thought it was being done [by a staff member]. If you have a person you trust to do it and they don't do it, then it doesn't get done. I'm not gonna say it's embarrassing. I'm just gonna say I should have done it," the alderman said.

Mell said he first realized he was in violation of the re-registration requirement about a year ago. When he tried to re-register his guns belatedly, the Chicago Police Department's Gun Registration Section refused to bend the rules. Mell appealed that ruling to the city's Department of Administrative Hearings but decided to re-write the law instead."When we looked at the law, we saw the possibility of winning [the appeal] wasn't gonna happen," he said.
    Last edited by paramedic70002; May 20th, 2008 at 09:40 PM. Reason: Change BOLD
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    The words arrogance, elitism, hypocrisy and scum bag come to mind.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Quote Originally Posted by exactlymypoint View Post
    The words arrogance, elitism, hypocrisy and scum bag come to mind.
    Yeah, and some more that can't be said on this forum.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post

"I knew it was the law. I thought it was being done [by a staff member]. If you have a person you trust to do it and they don't do it, then it doesn't get done. I'm not gonna say it's embarrassing. I'm just gonna say I should have done it," the alderman said.
    There ya go, blame it on someone else.
    Then make a law to get your b**t in the clear. Sound like a democrat maybe?
    Hypocrite.......

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post

Mell said he first realized he was in violation of the re-registration requirement about a year ago. When he tried to re-register his guns belatedly, the Chicago Police Department's Gun Registration Section refused to bend the rules. Mell appealed that ruling to the city's Department of Administrative Hearings but decided to re-write the law instead."When we looked at the law, we saw the possibility of winning [the appeal] wasn't gonna happen," he said.
    This is all you need to know, in bold. Caught in his own snare. I hope he still gets the full penalty.

Why doesn't he just make the law apply to others and not himself?
    Be not far from me, for trouble is near; For there is none to help. psalm22:11

In the old days, there'd be an angry, torch wielding mob chasing him out of town in the middle of the night. What ever happened to the old days?

An honest lawmaker drafting a bill that might impact him/her personally, should either:

1) Recuse themselves from voting on it, or better,
    2) Make the bill only effective after a new legislature is voted in!
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    +1 on Arisin Wind's statement. It's the approach Congress uses all the time to exempt themselves from everything they mandate on everyone else.
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    In the old days, there'd be an angry, torch wielding mob chasing him out of town in the middle of the night. What ever happened to the old days?
    We can't even do that to murderers and rapists and you expect them to let us do that to lawmakers?
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JonInNY View Post
    An honest lawmaker drafting a bill that might impact him/her personally, should either:

1) Recuse themselves from voting on it, or better,
    2) Make the bill only effective after a new legislature is voted in!
    Good points. There's also the opportunity for an honest statement. "When drafting the original bill, I am sorry to say I didn't understand some of the ways in which honest gun owners could be adversely affected. I apologize that it took my own personal difficulties to make me truly see the flaws in the original legislation, but I will now attempt to provide a solution for everybody so affected." And then abstain on the vote, of course.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

I love the way somebody rationalises why a law needs to be changed after they found out it adversely affected them
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Wow, I mean wow! That must be nice...make all the laws you want and any time you find yourself in violation of them, just change the law. Man, it must be nice to have the powers of a King.

The man needs to be tarred and feathered.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Hmmmmm......how about a bill that eliminates the registration requirement completely?

Gotta love Chicago politics...... "vote early, vote often".

I can't read stuff like this anymore. the hypocrisy makes my blood boil.
    "embrace the suck" - our warriors in the sandbox... it implies that do the best you can in impossible conditions.
    "no plan survives intact upon contact with the enemy" - wisdom of the Grunts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links