4 days at FrontSight Nevada

This is a discussion on 4 days at FrontSight Nevada within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I understand it's a weekend only facility, correct? (So the 4 day course covers two weekends?). NO!! It is friday through Monday. 4 consecutive days ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 4 days at FrontSight Nevada

I understand it's a weekend only facility, correct? (So the 4 day course covers two weekends?).

NO!! It is friday through Monday. 4 consecutive days

What type of holster would you recommend? I normally carry a 1911 in an IWB Milt Sparks VM-2, but wold think for the course I'd want something OWB (have a Galco Training Holster like they used to sell at Gunsite, and I have a Milt Sparks Axiom coming). Which way would you go?

They prefer a straight drop holster in Kydex. And you will to. No one likes getting raked with the muzzle of your weapon, especially the instructors. I just got a cheapie $14 uncle mikes for the class. I hate plastic holsters but for the class it was GREAT.

How many spare mags should I have belt carriers for?

I took 4 mags. IT WAS NOT ENOUGH, especially for the drills. I had to keep close tabs on which mags had how much left in them, it was a pain. Bring 6 !!!!

Was thinking of taking my Glock 19 as a back up too, but maybe I'd be better off with another full sized 1911? (Have several, the CQB is primary).

Bring 2 .45's you wont be sorry. And bringing an additional 800 rounds for your backup could be expensive. The course takes 800 rounds minimum.

You mentioned a BUG, do you need to have something as a spare (as in a mouse gun in the pocket or something)?

NOPE.. left my 642 in the truck, put it in my pocket when I drove away.

Planning to go there myself in Feb/March '09. Was going to get one of the certificates on eBay for around $80 I think, but I'll PM you and hear what you've got to say on that.[/QUOTE]
    Honor, Courage, Virtue. These are what makes a man.
    "The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps."
    Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

2. Remove Ads

Maybe I can help out with some of these questions.

Nice write up, thanks for taking the time to share the course with us.

I understand it's a weekend only facility, correct? (So the 4 day course covers two weekends?).

-The 4-day class runs from Fri-Mon. The FS website should have a full schedule listed for 2008.

What type of holster would you recommend? I normally carry a 1911 in an IWB Milt Sparks VM-2, but wold think for the course I'd want something OWB (have a Galco Training Holster like they used to sell at Gunsite, and I have a Milt Sparks Axiom coming). Which way would you go?

-I carried a Blade-Tech OWB but I've seen people with IWB. I'd say use what's comfortable for you since you will spend at least 12 hrs with it.

How many spare mags should I have belt carriers for?

-I took three total but when I was coaching, I had to reload them. Take no less than three.

Was thinking of taking my Glock 19 as a back up too, but maybe I'd be better off with another full sized 1911? (Have several, the CQB is primary).

-Seen both. Take the ones you want to get more proficient with or your primary carry.

You mentioned a BUG, do you need to have something as a spare (as in a mouse gun in the pocket or something)?

-I kept my backup gun in the vehicle in case something happened to my G23. Of course, you will need all the accesories for that gun unless your equipment is interchangeable.

OOPS!! You beat me to his questions.

Jarhead,
    Good post thanks. I was frustrated on day 4 since I was tired and my hands were hurting and I wasn't shooting well. I managed to graduate (barely) but I really need to go back and work on certain skills.

I may have to hit that some day. You can get certificates on the cheap on a regular basis.

Here is my query: Why do they say they have all these facilites when they don't? Why don't they advertise themselves as a place to learn defensive skills and that's it? Fake airstrips, bringing your own food...what gives?

Once you join, then recruit five more shooters, and each of them recruits five more....
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    Well, now you're going to get into the whole politics of the thing (or not!). The Dr. has laid out a lot of plans for the place, many of which have not yet (may not ever, then again, who knows?) materialized.

As for the certificates, as I understand it, most (all?) of them can only be used for your first ever course. Can't get another and go back for more training (as I understand it).

On holsters, sounds like they seriously want the straight drop (I can understand that). My leather Galco Training holster OWB should handle that just fine (I hate putting my 1911's in Kydex ).

Thanks for answering the questions guys!
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

ya its a ton of marketing BS.. that is why I did not drink the kool aid just yet. Looking at a membership now, figuring in the 2-3 years for the condos and airstrip .. if that gets off the ground then memberships could go up considerably. But I am still working the numbers. I just hate the hard sell ... no matter how much truth it is or how much sense it makes.. I am just a hard head I guess and I do not like to be sold on anything. Just look at what salesmanship did to the housing market. Scuse me if I am a little cautious at this time. But none the less .... Politically .. they are dead on and I could not believe in there cause more than they themselves do. I think on politics alone they are head and shoulders above all the others. They are firm believers in the 2nd... good enough for me.. oops was that the sound of me drinking kool aid.
    Honor, Courage, Virtue. These are what makes a man.
    "The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps."
    Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Quote Originally Posted by jarhead45 View Post
    The glock guys have to remember to "trip the trigger" when setting up the various failures or they get a fault.
    Can you please explain what this means? I have a G19, and I don't know what "trip the trigger" means.
    Clinging to guns and God in PA...

Man sounds like a good time to me I would love to go
    Kimber Ultra Carry 2
    Kimber Eclipse Target 2
    Kahr PM9 (wife's edc)
    Kahr PM45, Glock 19 (3rd Gen) & DiamondBack DB9
    NRA Life Member

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    Not all certificates are "first course" only. There are over a dozen different certificates denoted by the color of paper used. I have one "first course" and one "any course" certificate. Looking forward to going.

Questions:
    Any M&P's there? If so, how did they perform? I have a CT Lasergrip on my 45. Should it be removed before the class?

I normaly carry in a SmartCarry. I have a Blade-Tech as well. Is any instruction available to improve my performance using the SmartCarry?

Thanks for the good write-up.
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

Those promises have been made for years. The training may be good, but the long term promises are bunk.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Quote Originally Posted by rmarkob View Post
    Can you please explain what this means? I have a G19, and I don't know what "trip the trigger" means.
    With an unloaded weapon, press the trigger so that it "uncocked".

If I were to retire in Las Vegas then I would definitely purchase a life time membership. I would sell all the extra certificates I receive and make my money back.

Update:
    I just looked at the FS website and noticed that their lifetime membership prices went up by a lot. I remember them preaching $2000 for the Legacy plus a free handgun and certificates for your family every year. Now the Patriot (lowest) lifetime membership costs $4900.
    Last edited by Shotdown; May 21st, 2008 at 10:16 PM. Reason: Update

Thanks for the information
    SASS LIFE
    LEAA
    BOLD#252
    NRA LIFE
    RO I & II

Thanks for a GREAT report.

Some people are opening such a place within 100 miles of my house, and they offered LEOís and former LEOís, membership to use the range, and discounts on classes. Iíve already sent in my application.

In Federal and state qualifying test youíre allowed 3-seconds for two shots, and 7 seconds for five shots from concealed. They also have 10 shots from two clips within 10 seconds.

But, dropping the draw fire to 1.5 seconds; OH boy ????Ö. Iíll never pass!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links