Debunking Concealed Carry Myths - Page 3

Debunking Concealed Carry Myths

This is a discussion on Debunking Concealed Carry Myths within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Hubs Great article...thanks! Now, if it could be forwarded to Foxnews.com, Townhall.com and HumanEvents.com; it would get people really thinking about CC. ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Debunking Concealed Carry Myths

Quote Originally Posted by Hubs View Post
    Great article...thanks! Now, if it could be forwarded to Foxnews.com, Townhall.com and HumanEvents.com; it would get people really thinking about CC.
    We don't want anymore people thinking about CHLs here in Texas ... at least not until i get mine. The every one can apply. The more people that apply before I get mone will only delay it.
    It is to be observed that Right of Self-Defence, arises directly and immediately from the Care of our own Preservation, which Nature recommends to every one. . . , and that this right is so primary, that it cannot be denied on the basis that it is not "expressly set forth.

--- Hugo Grotius

Quote Originally Posted by mrlee7878 View Post
    As long as there is America there are going to be those who are against personal possession of firearms. In addition there are always going to be those ignorant enough to think that if we create "no gun" laws the world will be safer. That by some aligning of the planets in the universe, they think these laws will automatically stop or reduce criminals from illegally acquiring guns and using them. Laughable!

I really like the quotes from some of our founding fathers. Great stuff!

Here's one dealing with taking up arms for protection from the Bible that I've somehow overlooked. Words from Jesus.

Quick definitions...
    Scrip- defined as a small bag or wallet for money and valuables.

Purse- Greek term for belt. Also such belt/waistband frequently used for storing money.

All right here it is.

KJV Luke 22:35-36

"And he said unto them, When I sent you without purse, and scrip, and shoes, lacked ye anything? And they said, Nothing.

"Then he said unto them, But now, he that hath a purse let him take it and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one."

Pretty sure the sword wasn't for carving turkeys! And I'm pretty sure the swords weren't for going out and starting a fight or killing innocent people seeing as how the Apostle's goal was to spread the gospel in peace.

I don't see any blind hope for personal safety in the quote above.

Funny thing, Jesus didn't say, Now that you have these valuables on you, to protect those valuables have faith in the government of the time and that they will protect you. No Jesus said, buy one.(sword)

The same correlates to gun owners and CCL holders.
    I thought this was an interesting find.

Hope you liked this whatever your beliefs may or may not be.

Lee

1st post.
    Look at my sig for mt fav quote.
    It is to be observed that Right of Self-Defence, arises directly and immediately from the Care of our own Preservation, which Nature recommends to every one. . . , and that this right is so primary, that it cannot be denied on the basis that it is not "expressly set forth.

--- Hugo Grotius

Quote Originally Posted by KenInColo View Post
    The founding fathers got it.

Just imagine them sitting around Independence Hall in Philly, spitballing the Bill of Rights:

Jefferson: OK fellas, what's the most important thing we gotta have in our new country?

ALL: Freedom of Speech!

Jefferson: Absolutely! That's numero uno! Hamilton, write that down. OK, what's next?

ALL: We gotta stay armed!

Jefferson: Right again! We absolutely have to be able to defend ourselves. We need our guns and we can't have anyone taking 'em away from us either. Hamilton, are you getting all this down? OK, what's next?...

So you see, the founding fathers thought that our being armed was so important, it was second only to the freedom of speech.
    Makes you think what if they never thought about the right to bare arms and they got to the end, signed it and were over thrown by England again... they would have said, "Damn, we should have put that in there."

--- Hugo Grotius

Quote Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
    The issue isn't whether training (or permits for that matter) are a good idea. The issue is what does the Constitution say, and what right to limit carry does it impart to various governments.

The answer to the latter IMHO, is none. "Shall not be infringed", seems about as clear as you can get.

Now if firearms safety was implemented through the schools at a young age, as long as it was properly done, I'd have no problem with that. But the whole notion that one must apply for, and be granted permission to carry (concealed or otherwise) is blatantly against the intentions of the second amendment. No limitations are implied or even allowed according to any viable "interpretation" of the second amendment.
    I agree to a point. Schools teach a lot of things that some people don't agree with. I think here in Texas kids are taught about God and religion. I'm not 100% sure because I'm a transplant from NYC but even if they didn't I'd be opposed to it. I'm in the belief that a person should choose his own beliefes when it comes to religion, not be taught one or the other is right or wrong. The same goes for sex ed AND gun safety. It should be up to the parents to decide whether they want to teach that sort of thing at home first and not be mandated by the state's educational systems to what is taught concerning certain things, like what I listed above... but on the other side of the coin, the Second Amendment is part of our history, as are the Bill of Rights as a whole. I'm not sure why the schools make it mandatory for kids to learn things like these... and others, like a second language.

--- Hugo Grotius

Quote Originally Posted by Puppy View Post
    well gentlemen, it appears that most of you liked the post. Glad to learn that.

Perhaps you would be interested to know that the writer is one of you.

Yup! That's my article and it has appeared in one other newspaper as well.

To the couple who said there should be NO restriction on the 2nd, I can only remind you that even the first amendment has restrictions. The courts long ago decided that freedom of speech does not give you the right to shout "FIRE" in a crowded theater.There has to be some common sense applied even to our rights. The 2nd doesn't say that an insane, paranoid, mass murderer can't have a gun either, but I doubt many of even the most dedicated gun rights people would approve of that. (Except perhaps an insane, paranoid mass murderer.l
    Puppy, that is a great article and congratulations. I agree that NO right is unlimited (except free thought) and with every right comes an equally great responsibility to use it properly. Firearms, like cars, can be dangerous and no one complains about required driver education before getting a drivers license. However, training isn't always the answer, we all have seen drivers that disregard the rules. When it comes down to it, maturity (not age necessarily) is going to be the key. If firearms training were to become required here in Georgia, I would accept it with little complaint.
    Member NRA, SAF and Georgiacarry.org
    “America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.” Abraham Lincoln

Same-old...Same-old...We keep discussing and agreeing about the meaning of the 2nd. But we should be discussing and finding solutions to the violations of the 2nd. by our own government!!

Quote Originally Posted by echobaby View Post
    Same-old...Same-old...We keep discussing and agreeing about the meaning of the 2nd. But we should be discussing and finding solutions to the violations of the 2nd. by our own government!!
    Very true Echobaby, that's why I support the organizations I do. That's also why I do my best to stay informed of 2A bills in the works (both Pro and Anti) and write my representatives as needed. That's also why I use articles of this nature to give the other side of the story to those who may be listening only to a liberal media source. At present there's only one solution to the government, that's to elect the right people and stay abreast of what they have planned.
    Member NRA, SAF and Georgiacarry.org
    “America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.” Abraham Lincoln

RONWILL...More like you are needed.

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    Amen!
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    For the record, I too thought it was a very well written article, and is good material for the Anti's to read, as it is a well presented case for private possession of firearms.

A couple comments on training. Again, I was NOT suggesting training was a bad idea (having virtually none, coming from a family with somewhat anit gun parents, I sought out and made sure I had enough basic knowledge for a safe start down the road to firearm ownership).

I don't recall in the quote of Jesus, where he said to buy a sword and go take a class. I think it was implied those not knowledgeable would be taught by their more knowledgeable peers.

On schools doing it, well.... I can't imagine them getting it right, but if they could, it could be an option. Parents taking care of it? I think that's the way it was up until recent decades. Seemed to have worked. It's the sad fact we've gotten to where we are that this is not an option in many cases these days, as in a generation, much of that knowledge that was common has become less than common. This has in large part been caused by the advent of anti gun laws and anti gun sentiment cultivated by politicians, government and the media.

Oh, the yelling "fire' in a crowded theater argument? It goes against "common sense", which is obviously not as "common" as one would hope. But when you set "acceptable limits" to any freedom, you thus begin the journey down that slippery slope. Others will attempt to follow with other limitations and restriction. And eventually, someone's gonna utter that old overused axiom "it's for the children". How could anyone be against something that was for the good of the children. Indeed.
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

pax
    Great article. 25% of people who have CCW licenses are woman? That seems kinda high.
    Does that sound accurate?
    Yes, it sounds accurate -- and the numbers are slowly equalizing.

Don't believe me? Take a trip over to the NSSF website and run your eye down their statistics for female shooters over the past several years. The demographics have radically shifted, and continue to do so.

Ten years ago, women made up roughly 10% of the firearms world, across the board (less among hunters, slightly more among target shooters, but roughly 10% overall).

Now the numbers indicate that at least one out of every four "regularly practicing" target shooters is female -- and that number is up much more sharply among defensive handgunners than among participants of any other shooting discipline. In the classes I've helped with over the past couple of years, I'm noticing roughly 40% women in beginning classes; fewer in the upper ranks but that's not surprising when you consider that it generally takes a few years for any one beginning shooter to decide to move from point A to point B. I suspect we'll see that groundswell moving into the upper ranks in a year or two.

pax
    Kathy Jackson
    My website: Cornered Cat

VIP Member
    Excellent article, thanks for posting it. It has the honor of me printing it out and putting it in my "gun info notebook".
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Vote them out of office... as for why Ted Kennedy, and not Ted Nugent, keeps on getting elected in MA, I have no idea. There's something definately wrong with that man... and the people that vote him in. But I digress.

--- Hugo Grotius

Quote Originally Posted by pax View Post
    Yes, it sounds accurate -- and the numbers are slowly equalizing.

Don't believe me? Take a trip over to the NSSF website and run your eye down their statistics for female shooters over the past several years. The demographics have radically shifted, and continue to do so.

Ten years ago, women made up roughly 10% of the firearms world, across the board (less among hunters, slightly more among target shooters, but roughly 10% overall).

Now the numbers indicate that at least one out of every four "regularly practicing" target shooters is female -- and that number is up much more sharply among defensive handgunners than among participants of any other shooting discipline. In the classes I've helped with over the past couple of years, I'm noticing roughly 40% women in beginning classes; fewer in the upper ranks but that's not surprising when you consider that it generally takes a few years for any one beginning shooter to decide to move from point A to point B. I suspect we'll see that groundswell moving into the upper ranks in a year or two.

pax
    The woman of my dreams:

--- Hugo Grotius

Good Read!
    USMC 1984-1992
    To err is human.
    To forgive is divine.
    Neither of which is Marine Corps policy.

"It's all about shot placement."- David (Slayer of Goliath)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links