Debunking Concealed Carry Myths

This is a discussion on Debunking Concealed Carry Myths within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A decent article on concealed carry lies and why CCW is a good thing. The Edge...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Debunking Concealed Carry Myths

Debunking Concealed Carry Myths

A decent article on concealed carry lies and why CCW is a good thing.

The Edge
    Member NRA, SAF and Georgiacarry.org
    “America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.” Abraham Lincoln

2. Remove Ads

Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan; by way of St. Mayberry, GA
    Very good read. Thanx for posting.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

A good balanced article! I don't think to many people would argue that the mentally unbalanced shouldn't have weapons.

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    I always liked George Mason.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

Excellent article. I followed a similar path to the light that the writer did. It is so easy to buy into the guns are bad myths even when you grew up around them.
    Facts are negotiable, perceptions are not.

Quote Originally Posted by spooter66 View Post
    A good balanced article! I don't think to many people would argue that the mentally unbalanced shouldn't have weapons.
    Actually I have heard many people make that very argument that people should not be denied the right to protect themselves just because they are mentally unbalanced or convicted felons. That 2A applies to everyone no matter what.

The founding fathers got it.

Just imagine them sitting around Independence Hall in Philly, spitballing the Bill of Rights:

Jefferson: OK fellas, what's the most important thing we gotta have in our new country?

ALL: Freedom of Speech!

Jefferson: Absolutely! That's numero uno! Hamilton, write that down. OK, what's next?

ALL: We gotta stay armed!

Jefferson: Right again! We absolutely have to be able to defend ourselves. We need our guns and we can't have anyone taking 'em away from us either. Hamilton, are you getting all this down? OK, what's next?...

So you see, the founding fathers thought that our being armed was so important, it was second only to the freedom of speech.
    Last edited by KenInColo; May 22nd, 2008 at 03:16 PM. Reason: spelling
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    great article....thanks for the info
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

Ref: Edge Article

Very good article.. but a few extra comments/additions.

1. As a Florida resident, there are well over 500,000 total permits on file as opposed to 125,000.

2. In reference to the quotes on the Second Ammendment.. there is a very good current article in the NRA' "Riflemen Magazine" regarding the 2nd Amendment and the Washington DC /Supreme Court Argument. (Must read)

2. The question regarding "What do store owners have to lose" Just another step to losing the 2nd Amendment to their favor. My reply to this.... If the private store owner, restaurant owners, etc are permitted to choose who to serve and which parts of the Constitution they will honor, it won't be long again to say who will eat at our counters again (you know what I mean!) .

A good test Civil Suit Case is needed here on those owners should a weapon had been needed by "one of us" and now allow.

I said I would say something to anger pro 2nd Amendment people, so let me get too it. I favor required training for everyone before they can obtain a CCW license. Some states have such training, but some require no training. The avid 2nd Amendment people say the Amendment does not require training so it should not be required. I say horse pucky. It’s common sense. I would also like to see some tighter restrictions on people with mental problems, but privacy laws interfere with this. Something needs to be done.

I’ll have to say I agree… “Somewhat”

Gun ownership is one thing, and I totally believe that everyone who is not a criminal or adjudicated a mental case is entitled.

Carrying a concealed gun is another.

Training is necessary so innocent people are not hurt, and the CCL carrier is more likely to take out the BG.

Well, I’m sure some of you won’t agree with me on this, and that’s why this is such a great country.

BTW… Like the column… Thanks for the post.

Great article...I found nothing I disagreed with, even the 'training' was OK with me.

Stay armed...get training...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    The issue isn't whether training (or permits for that matter) are a good idea. The issue is what does the Constitution say, and what right to limit carry does it impart to various governments.

The answer to the latter IMHO, is none. "Shall not be infringed", seems about as clear as you can get.

Now if firearms safety was implemented through the schools at a young age, as long as it was properly done, I'd have no problem with that. But the whole notion that one must apply for, and be granted permission to carry (concealed or otherwise) is blatantly against the intentions of the second amendment. No limitations are implied or even allowed according to any viable "interpretation" of the second amendment.
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

Being from Kansas, I have to agree about the signs posted in the stores banning firearms. If I were a robber, those stores would DEFINATELY be first on my list. I would know that my gun was the only one in the joint, and not having to fear being shot by someone legally armed, I could do whatever I wanted - period.
    God bless our troops!

Senior Member Array digitalexplr's Avatar
    Great article. And, BTW, the 2nd Amendment just states the right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. It doesn't say anything about the manner of being armed or when. So an arguement can be made that ccw is a 2nd Amendment right.

Great article. 25% of people who have CCW licenses are woman? That seems kinda high.
    Does that sound accurate?
    "An armed society is a polite society"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links