Utah to stop issuing out of state?

This is a discussion on Utah to stop issuing out of state? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; ksl.com - Utah's concealed weapons permit numbers grow...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Utah to stop issuing out of state?

Utah to stop issuing out of state?

2. Remove Ads

Part of this is our fault(my fellow Texans). Our state has gotten so far behind in permits a lot of people are just getting non-resident permits.

I hope the politicians and criminals(ahh, I repeat myself) are paying attention to how many people are getting concealed permits.

It's going to become a downright unwelcoming place to live for criminals and gun-grabbers.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

It says the Utah public safety officials think it's time to end applications from out of state. I don't care what they think, I only care what the lawmakers think - they're the ones that make the laws.
    The most exhilarating thing in life is getting shot at with no results.
    - Winston Churchill
    Endowment Life Member - NRA
    Life Member - GOA
    Member - Oath Keepers, SAF, CCRKBA
    U.S. Army (72G) 1975-1980

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Quote Originally Posted by walvord View Post
    It says the Utah public safety officials think it's time to end applications from out of state. I don't care what they think, I only care what the lawmakers think - they're the ones that make the laws.
    Okay HOW do these people get into office?

I mean I'm against whole permit issue thing in the first place and believe you shouldn't have to have one to carry a gun concealed.

But the ammount of revenue UTAHs getting from people in other states, WHAT ARE YOU THINKING....... Your taking in what $65.25 for a permit. Whats $65.25 times 40,000?= $2,610,000 of revenue they stand to loss. Now I didn't add in costs but still. I would have this feeling their running a back round check that may cost $2 per and a mail you your permit the cheapest way possible whats that $1. Now It doesn't take 5 people to do this. Salary wise 2 people at $40,000 a year. Okay with benifits lets just say $100,000 a year over 3 years. years 300K in expenses for employees. plus the $120,000 in back round check fees for the people and mail cost..

Okay so thats cost $420,000 in cost associated with a revenue of over 2.5 million dollars coming in.

Lets just double the costs to 840K for a uncalculated contingency fee.

So Utah is going to LOOSE over 1.5 million dollars in pure Profit from out of state people just because there "worried". Fire these elected people from the simple stand point of being very bad businessman/women.

How many out of state Utah permit holders have been in shootings and blamed UTAH BCI because they got an out of state permit?

Okay this makes TOTAL sense to me!!!!!
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

I know I'll get a lot of heat for this post... but here goes.

I'd like to see Utah double the price and double the wait time for 'out of state' permits with all proceeds going to UT BCI.

The reasoning for this is, UT BCI is staffed minimally at best. Six to eight employee's that process permit, teacher, and other public servants back ground checks, all while fielding phone calls from gun/pawn shops for weapons purchases. Utah has arguably the best CFP out there and while I want everyone in any state to have one, it needs to benefit my state and not hinder it from preforming said duties. (How's that for a run-on sentence)

Flame on.
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

Quote Originally Posted by rhinokrk View Post

I'd like to see Utah double the price and double the wait time for 'out of state' permits with all proceeds going to UT BCI.

The reasoning for this is, UT BCI is staffed minimally at best. Six to eight employee's that process permit, teacher, and other public servants back ground checks, all while fielding phone calls from gun/pawn shops for weapons purchases. Utah has arguably the best CFP out there and while I want everyone in any state to have one, it needs to benefit my state and not hinder it from preforming said duties. (How's that for a run-on sentence)

Flame on.
    I thought that was always the case. I applied for a UT CFP and it took me 5 1/2 months to receive it because the BCI said they had an increase in resident applications. During that period, they hired 2-3 more personnel. I think it's good for UT revenue and the work force. However, I don't think they should increase the fee.

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    Imagine the revenue this state gets from permits. Curious? Could it be a gimic to boost permit apps? If they discontinue, I'm sure they'd honor all current apps.

Everyone get their apps in, so my state gets all your money, lol.
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

Let's not allow those who make the laws to began to whittle away at the new freedons we all hold so precious.
    "Eternity is Too Long to be Wrong"

Texas CHL Instructor & Holder & Utah CFP Instructor
    NRA Instructor & Life Member
    Member TSRA, USCCA, TCHA
    Christian, Heterosexual, Pro-2A, Pro-Life, Conservative, Common Sense American

According to the Utah Concealed Firearms Instructor Newsletter I just received, they are still processing all permits within the 60 days as mandated by statute.

Also, they are reminding the Utah instructors to tell their students NOT to call for a status check on their pending permit applications until the 60 day time period has elapsed. They are receiving numerous calls that, apparently, take up time that could otherwise be spent processing the applications.

As of May 1, there are 115,405 valid permits.

Out of the $65.25 charged for the permit, the FBI gets $30.25 to process the fingerprint cards. If the rest of that fee actually goes to the state, they are getting $35 per applicant, or, for 40 thousand permits, $1.4 million in revenue.

I don't have any idea what kind of salary the 6 to 8 staffers, or however many there are, make but I'll bet it isn't a lot. As a WAG, if a half million goes for wages and employment overhead, that still leaves nearly $1 million in revenue.

Probably not a lot of money in the grand scheme of the state's budget but still, you wouldn't get rid of it. Spot-on Rob.

Randy

Now may be the time for my wife and I to get ours...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar

Flame on.
    I would not object to that. I have had a Utah permit for at least 10 years. I would be willing to pay double for the benefits.

I hope they do not stop issuing NR Permits. I let my TX expire because I did not need it in addition to UT and FL.

Best,
    Jerry

Regards,
    Jerry

Flame on.
    I am thankful to the state of Utah for the opportunity to obtain a nonresident CCW permit that has reciprocity with so many states. Sure, it has to be profitable for the state. I could be a big source of income if they made the application in line with the other states.

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    I just hope that they will continue to RENEW permits for us out of staters.

No need to when they accept other states CCL that accepts there’s

I would like to see Florid do the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by tns0038 View Post
    No need to when they accept other states CCL that accepts there’s

I would like to see Florida do the same thing.
    People do not necessarily get a Utah permit so that they can carry in Utah...I would guess that most of the non-resident Utah permit holders will never go to Utah, and only have it for increased reciprocity, or it's cheaper than their native permit, or it's faster than their native permit.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links