New Licensee.. - Page 2

New Licensee..

This is a discussion on New Licensee.. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Yeah...I'm pretty glad to have my wait over..and I think after the first couple of weeks, the urge to tell anyone will go away..it's already ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Licensee..

Yeah...I'm pretty glad to have my wait over..and I think after the first couple of weeks, the urge to tell anyone will go away..it's already starting to fade..and I'm getting used to the feel of having my G23C strapped to my hip..
    I don't try anything...I just do it!

I just checked my letter with my PIN on it, it has only been 30 days and yet it feels like an eternity.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

My old man knows, and my wife. My mom doesn't...she's familar with guns because of my pop, but I really don't know if she's pro carry or not.

Always assume that people are going to think you're a wackjob for carrying. Imagine the hassle of trying to explain it....then be glad you don't have to.
    It is utterly illogical to believe that passing laws to reduce gun violence will be successful when those who are commiting the gun violence do not obey the law.

Well, like ANYTHING else, if you tell one person, they will all know...eventually...people talk. So measure out the consequences for the crowd knowing...if you tell ONE!
    My family all knows...some like it some don't (most)...I don't give a rip. It's not discussed, and besides, I live over 1,200 miles from most of them...

At school...it was something I had to weigh...
    For the first year, I said nothing. Slowly, I discussed the issue of being armed...of course, now they all know...
    The results? Well, an assistant principal, the librarian, one of the h.s. secretaries, and a P.E. teacher are all working on their CCW permits. I'm taking one of the 'newly' licensed individuals to the range, and he wants me to help him pick out a weapon and holster...

A couple of my neighbors know...one is getting his CCW now, the other is a cop with more weapons than the army (sort of...very nice collection).

I have found it something that one can feel out pretty quickly...I guess you have to be your own judge...my 'sharing' has created a half-dozen more CCW'ers.

Stay armed...weigh your choices carefully...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    My immediate family knows (they carry too). I have told a very select few friends, all of whom I shoot with. That's it. Like retsupt99 said, if you tell a few people, most of your coworkers will know by the end of the week.

Thanks for all the advice guys,,.
    I don't try anything...I just do it!

My parents know I will be applying for a CCW. My best friend know(ive known him since i was 5, hes like a brother). He knows everything else about me too, the one person I truly talk too. Hes Anti-Carry though, so it was an interesting conversation. I had to explain to him that Im responsible and not a gun-weilding maniac. After I explained a few scenarios he actually accepted the idea, which was good.

I have roomates, and I live in a house that is not my own. So I told the home owner I would be buying a handgun. I just think its a respect issue with that, I wouldnt want someone bringing something I dissapproved into my home if I was doing the curtesy of letting him live there.(I do pay rent :P) We have both talked about CCW in the past, so its been discussed, as he wants to do it as well.

I think the biggest concern for me if people knew would be the "hero" factor. People who have not done research and thought of scenarios like we all have think differently. They may think if a normal fistfight(that doesnt threaten anyones lives) breaks out that pulling out your gun is an option. Waving it around like the movies.

This can get you in a lot of trouble, as the people finding out you have a gun when a 'friend' outs you by saying "Hes gonna shoot your ***** ass(or something like that)" in the heat of the moment...

So as of now, 4 people know I _might_ conceal carry. I basically decided I wouldnt let them know when I started, and if they figure it out, good job for them, if they don't... I know I'm doing it right

Either way, the less people who know the better, guns scare ALOT of people.

Distinguished Member
    Congrads on the permit.

Now for the who do I tell----Treat it like a STD (sexually transmitted disease) tell only the select few that have to know.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    Another thing...I would suggest that whoever it is that you tell, tell them not to say "Get your gun" if there is an ugly situation. The element of surprise is the key to winning in a bad situation.

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    Many years ago, I came to regret telling some I did (and yes, others soon knew too). Some made inappropriate remarks at inopportune times. Surprised me "they" didn't use their head more. Of course it was really me who should have put more thought in that direction. Once it's out there, you can't get it back.

Fortunately, I no longer am in the presence of that group, so no issues there. Sort of like "starting over". Being more careful who knows this time around.
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

I live back in the sticks, where crime is picking up at an alarming rate. NO one knows about my CCW, except my wife, who happens to also be my banker, and knows where the $$ go to pay for the permit, ammo, etc. None of my closest neighbors know, even tho they are good friends. Secrecy is the best way to handle it. I felt same way, when I first received my permit. But, after giving it some deep thought, as a previous post stated. You don't want to be pulled into a fight that someone else started, knowing "you are armed" and you will back them up. Stay quiet, and stay safe!!

As T-mobile says...Are you in my five? I would say other than the folks you train with and live with when you want to tell someone...LIE DOWN TIL THE FEELING GOES AWAY!! Already had a bad experience with my brother who was in my class blabbing at a family event and getting another brother (sheeple) upset.
    Facts are negotiable, perceptions are not.

I should be receiving my permit soon. The only people who know are my wife, my mother, my brother-in-law (CC permit holder) my sister (Cc permit holder) their son in law (soon to be permit holder) and my insurance agent (to get additional liability insurance). That's one too many in my opinion but my instructor had suggested the insurance.
    I live in a small town and my greater concern is the LEO's who were present when I turned in my application and was finger printed might tell more people. I had six of them watching the whole process.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links