New Licensee..

New Licensee..

This is a discussion on New Licensee.. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a huge question for all of you..I just recently rec'vd my CHL..Texas..you know it was a long wait...almost 90days. So after almost 4 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Licensee..

New Licensee..

I have a huge question for all of you..I just recently rec'vd my CHL..Texas..you know it was a long wait...almost 90days. So after almost 4 months of preperations, and almost 3 months of wait, now I just want to tell everyone I know, but then again, I don't because I don't want them to think I'm some kind of gloat or showoff. How do you handle yourselves in these types of situations. My family and closests friends know, but outside of that...who have you told? I don't dare tell just acquantances or mere friends, but that temptation is definetely there..anyone feel the same? Forgive me, I'm still a newbie to CHL, just not new to guns..been around them for 20 years or more..
    I don't try anything...I just do it!

Well, the cure for that is going to be when you tell your first acquaintance.

There are two people that know I carry. Me and my wife. And she only knows cuz she see's me get dressed in the morning.

It's not worth it. Letting other people know will lead to problems...from when you go out and your friend picks a fight because he thinks you'll 'back' him up, or when your boss finds out and adds the 'no gun' policy.

Congrats on the license, but if I were you, I would keep it to myself.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

several of my friends and students know (mostly because we train together). Other than that, I don't talk about it much. Many of my friends and acquaintances don't have any idea.

I tend to believe that it's best to "play your cards close to the vest" (also the reason that I think open carry is dumb).
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post
    Congrats on the license, but if I were you, I would keep it to myself.
    +1. Outside of my immediate family, I can count on one hand the number of people who know I hold a Handgun Carry Permit, and they are close friends who either have carry permits or are getting ready to apply for them. Tell as few as possible...it is no one's business but yours. Congratulations, and stay safe!

I have had my GFL (similar to CWP but can OPEN CARRY0 for a weak.

Quote Originally Posted by jaymzo View Post
    I have a huge question for all of you..I just recently rec'vd my CHL..Texas..you know it was a long wait...almost 90days. So after almost 4 months of preperations, and almost 3 months of wait, now I just want to tell everyone I know, but then again, I don't because I don't want them to think I'm some kind of gloat or showoff. How do you handle yourselves in these types of situations. My family and closests friends know, but outside of that...who have you told? I don't dare tell just acquantances or mere friends, but that temptation is definetely there..anyone feel the same? Forgive me, I'm still a newbie to CHL, just not new to guns..been around them for 20 years or more..
    Only people who know are my relatives, but I don't see myself telling anyone else unless they are a CLOSE friend (the same is true about owning firearms, only family knows)... I have the option to open carry here in GA as well but rather not unless I was in a certain situation like a lonely parking lot or something (so as make any potentials know I am armed.)

The only ones who know I have a CFP is my wife and kids. It is no one else's business.
    John Steinbeck: Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by falcon1 View Post
    +1. Outside of my immediate family, I can count on one hand the number of people who know I hold a Handgun Carry Permit, and they are close friends who either have carry permits or are getting ready to apply for them. Tell as few as possible...it is no one's business but yours. Congratulations, and stay safe!
    I agree. I talk about it very openly with a very select few. Other than that, nobody else knows and it takes a lot to get into my "circle of trust". Some of my closest friends of 10+ years don't even know that I own a single firearm. Unfortunately, I had to "out" myself recently (to a few of my friends who didn't even know that I owned guns) when I applied for my NYS pistol permit since it requires personal references that are contacted.

Congratulations on your CCL and welcome to the forum.

To me there is a BIG difference between friends and best friends.

It was once said that if when I man dies he has had five true friends, then he was successful in life.

I have three good friends, and my wife that know that if I leave the house, I’m armed. Friends, acquaintances, and co-workers have no clue.

And the way I see it is “what they don’t know won’t hurt them”.

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    Some people will avoid you like the plague. If they are not your closest friends, if they don't have guns and go shot with you...be silent.......unless you are looking for better friends.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Congrats on your new license and yes don't spread it around that you are armed.
    God bless our troops!

Welcome to the forum!

Several people know that I'm into guns and shooting, but only a few people who also carry know that I even have a license. My fear is that people will falsely assume that just because you hold a CWL means that you have a gun on you. Not everyone carries 24/7.
    Keep emotionally active. Cater to your favorite neurosis.

welcome from s.e.michigan.
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

a few people know I have a chl - mostly direct family, a few shooting friends, a few who have seen the license in my wallet.

3 people know I carry. My brother (also chl and daily carry), his daughter and my daughter. My brother's wife knows he carries (but does not approve - her father also carried). My wife does not know and does not approve.
    ---
    funny thing. Our wives grew up in a "safe" world, so don't understand. Our daughters have seen/experienced reality and appreciate that we will do whatever is necessary to keep them safe (including teaching them how to protect themselves).

If you tell one acquaintance ,they all will know,I suggest you keep it to yourself,aCHL isn't something to brag about or that you use for self esteem,I don't wanta be put in a situation if I happen to be with somebody and a robbery or something happens,I prefer to pick when and if to engage the BG's not have somebody yell out shoot him,or be around people I have never met and have somebody walk up and say so you got a gun, can I see it.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I to am in the wait here in TX, but when I get mine my Wife and I will be the only ones to know. I may tell my Brother who was a CHL and is going to renew, plus he's a Fed. (there's at least 1 I know I can trust).

I am actually going to make a point to not tell certain people or let them find out, my Sister In-Law and her Husband for example. When they found out I purchased a pistol they said their kids won't be coming over to the house anymore. I guess they never knew I have 6 rifles and their own Dad has pistols all over his house. So now that they have forgotten I have arms they will never know I am packing.

As stated before don't tell a soul. And congrats on the long wait being over.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links