Where do you keep your permit when you carry? How were your LEO encounters?

Where do you keep your permit when you carry? How were your LEO encounters?

This is a discussion on Where do you keep your permit when you carry? How were your LEO encounters? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Mine is a big laminated thing with a stamp on it with the signature of the probate Judge who issued it... though I figure that ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Where do you keep your permit when you carry? How were your LEO encounters?

Smile Where do you keep your permit when you carry? How were your LEO encounters?

Mine is a big laminated thing with a stamp on it with the signature of the probate Judge who issued it... though I figure that the wallet would be a good enough place, I never placed mine in there because of several reasons:

1. What if I lose my entire wallet (for whatever reason), I would have to go through the entire process, and I took me 3 months to get it... so I want to minimize that possibility.

2. If police knew I was armed and wanted to see my permit, I don't want to make it look I was reaching for my waist (where my gun is holstered in a cross draw possition) OR pocket (which could also hold a firearm.) to get the permit... what if the cop was jittery?

One guy I knew from the same county in the Metro area had been open carrying and a cop DREW ON HIM from the back and ask him to put his hands on his head (one of those ignorant police officers who never knew it was legal to do so), they even took him down and hand cuffed him.... so considering some police officers are like that around in this county, I have to take extra precautions.

Any how, I keep my carry license inside a neck ID card holder like this one here:
    http://www.kkws4u.com/ssimages/store/3200svthumb.JPG

Because since I got reports if of police drawing guns and tazing LEGALLY armed citizens who are open carrying around Metro Atlanta (a lot of making "man with gun calls") and ignorant cops, I ain't taking no chances reaching for anything that will be mistaken for a gun in pocket or waste.

How has your LEO encounters been? I am ESPECIALLY interested in getting reports from people who live in large cities with large flocks of

Senior Moderator
    All of my LEO encounters have been exellent.

I live in a large metro area of over 23,000 people. Way to many people there for my likings...
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by CR2008 View Post
    One guy I knew from the same county in the Metro area had been open carrying and a cop DREW ON HIM from the back and ask him to put his hands on his head (one of those ignorant police officers who never knew it was legal to do so), they even took him down and hand cuffed him....
    I hope he took that up with Atlanta police after the situation was cleared. That's just wrong on their part. They should know better.
    Keep emotionally active. Cater to your favorite neurosis.

That's tiny

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    All of my LEO encounters have been exellent.

I live in a large metro area of over 23,000 people. Way to many people there for my likings...
    Metro Atlanta has 4,247,981 people (Wikipedia) and 665,865 people in DeKalb... mostly African Americans and considering there are portions that are 'Ghetto' (South DeKalb got a reputation)... a "man with gun" call from the ignorant masses won't be pleasant, that's why I don't OC.

A police scanner gives me a good idea about what's going on, no wander that poor guy had a cop draw on him even though he was minding his own business.

It's in my wallet, right next to the driver's license. If the wallet gets lost or stolen, the replacement process for the ccw isn't any more difficult than that of the drivers license.

I've been carrying for 15 years or so......I've never had any interaction with an LEO that required disclosure that I was armed. I'll bet that the average LEO, when he/she asks for an ID is kind of expecting that you're gonna reach for your wallet though, not down your shirt.....

Agree, in my wallet, behind my drivers license.
    No LEO encounters, yet. Never, I hope.
    ron

Senior Moderator
    A police scanner gives me a good idea about what's going on, no wander that poor guy had a cop draw on him even though he was minding his own business.
    The thing is, you have to be cognizant of the way the police operate in your area.

Alanta has a pretty high crime rate and has had ever since I can remember. The cops there, will operate differently than the cops in say,rural Georgia.

There attitudes towards certain things will be different. They may respond to a simple traffic stop with their gun in hand depending on the area. It dosent make it wrong, it just means that they feel it is neccesary to go home at night.

In an area that is know to be rough, or ghetto, a man seen open carrying would be treated much differently than some hillybilly walking across a pasture in the sticks. Thats just the way it is. What may be OK in one county may find you put at gun point in another country.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I carry my permit ( as well as the rest of my id )in a " pull off money clip " that my wallet has . My LEO encounters in my home jurisdiction has been postitive , but we are rural . In other jurisdictions i have little reason to contact any LE other than a coffee shop and it does not come up . However on a stop i do inform the officer and provide him with my card. One officer looked at the ccw card and said well i dont have to worry about ILLEGAL weapons here do i ? and asked me to keep my hands clear from my weapon . Once the stop was over i asked him just what he considered an " illegal weapon " in colroado , and he answered " One someone will try and shoot me with " . Take it for what it is worth but imho csp would really like to model it's self off chicago or la . indoctrination did not take with this officer . He was polite with the stop , polite with ( understandable to me ) keep you hands off the weapon while i do this request . and professional when he wrote a ticket for not having the registration for the trailer at hand and the exibited plate is out of date . Since it would have cost more than the ticket price for either the wife ( who was driving ) or myself to represent it in court we paid it . I was due the ticket because the evidince that would show contrairy was 150 miles away , and also its a " no points " cost . The officer was great with me and had " no choice " to write the summons . The half day it would have cost him to go to court i like to think he got to spend at home .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Quote Originally Posted by Cakewalk View Post
    I hope he took that up with Atlanta police after the situation was cleared. That's just wrong on their part. They should know better.
    Links:
    Firearm Discussion :: View topic - I was laid down and cuffed for OC by Dekalb county!

I believed he got into contact with the superiors, they hassled him some time after that incident as well... not shocking because it takes longer to get a permit here than some more rural area, politicians have to keep people happy.

There is also video online showing some guys picking up litter in a neighborhood and cops were all over them (but they never to tazered, cuffed etc, just hassled)

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    The thing is, you have to be cognizant of the way the police operate in your area.

Alanta has a pretty high crime rate and has had ever since I can remember. The cops there, will operate differently than the cops in say,rural Georgia.

There attitudes towards certain things will be different. They may respond to a simple traffic stop with their gun in hand depending on the area. It dosent make it wrong, it just means that they feel it is neccesary to go home at night.

In an area that is know to be rough, or ghetto, a man seen open carrying would be treated much differently than some hillybilly walking across a pasture in the sticks. Thats just the way it is. What may be OK in one county may find you put at gun point in another country.
    I agree, I don't mind them doing things to ensure their safety, but what kind of criminal walks around in public with his gun openly carried?

Can't understand that one...

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
    It's in my wallet, right next to the driver's license. If the wallet gets lost or stolen, the replacement process for the ccw isn't any more difficult than that of the drivers license.
    It's also handy to have photocopies of everything in your wallet. It helps to remember what needs replaced. It's handy to carry while you are waiting for replacements in case of LE encounters.
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

Senior Moderator
    I agree, I don't mind them doing things to ensure their safety, but what kind of criminal walks around in public with his gun openly carried?

You'd be suprised.

We have apprehended lots of people with guns that were being openly carried, after the commision of a crime. What kind of fool does that ? I'm sure the Alanta PD does it enough to give everyone that they see openly carrying a critical eye.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

i keep my cpl,drivers license,credit cards in small i.d. case.in coat or shirt
    pocket so its easy acsess in the event i need to present to leo.
    i keep throw away wallet in pants pocket with a couple dollars just
    in case (no great loss with throw away wallet).
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

I have one of those 'credit card' size synthetic envelopes which holds my DL, CHL, Registration & Proof of Ins.; all the required stuff in one place in my wallet in case of a stop. I usually have my P2000 in the (driver's side) door pocket on longer trips.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    Carried one of those neck I.D. things in a war zone (Baghdad, green zone working construction). I've no interest in further encumbering myself here in the free world, but if it works for you, that's great.

...but what kind of criminal walks around in public with his gun openly carried?

Occasionally, mentally upset/drunk/otherwise intoxicated/or just plain pissed off people, bent on committing a crime. But they would usually exhibit other signs as well (attitude, bizarre behavior, etc). I happen to know someone who did. Ex LEO. He's now in the penitentiary for the criminally insane.

I carry mine in my wallet. I don't reach for anything until I'm told (proper traffic stop etiquette dictates keeping your hands in plain view, preferably on the steering wheel until asked for I.D. etc.- I roll down the window as I'm stopping so as not to have to reach to do this).

I tell the officer I am required by law to inform them I am carrying (a Michigan requirement). In fact, after one pissed off State Trooper in an odd incident where I wasn't carrying, I now plan to inform them I have a permit even in the unlikely event I'm not carrying- as Mr. Super Trooper mistakenly thought I was required to inform him I had a permit, and came back to my car ranting when the computer informed him instead of me.... I politely told him I thought (in actuality, I knew, but was being tactful) it was only if I was carrying..... and he returned to his car to write my ticket. When he came back, he casually told me I'd been right (duh!) and gave me my ticket, sent me on my way.

Only other time, the weapon happened to be in the trunk (another fluke). The officer asked where it was, once I told him, he relaxed. Gave me my ticket and told me of their standard plea bargain I would be offered on the court date (They'd get my money, I'd get no points). "Justice" served.
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links