moving within same county...

This is a discussion on moving within same county... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Within 30 days my address will be changing. I'll be moving with in the same county in ohio. My permit is only a year old. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array carry for protection's Avatar

Within 30 days my address will be changing. I'll be moving with in the same county in ohio. My permit is only a year old. Should I update my address or let it go till I need a renewal?

Update your address.

I assume your address on your D.L. will change at some point in time. Both need to match.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post
    Update your address.

I assume your address on your D.L. will change at some point in time. Both need to match.
    Definitely, DO NOT give them any reason to take it.

Thanks folks...I'll update my carry permit when my D.L. expires.

Will that work ok? or not?

TOF
    It sounds to me like you need to study your State Law governing your carry permit.

If you don't understand the rules you should not be carrying IMHO.

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by TOF View Post
    It sounds to me like you need to study your State Law governing your carry permit.

Kind of sounds like somebody is having a bad day. Lighten up.

In Oregon, the moment you change your address the clock on your CHL begins to tick. If you haven't taken the necessary steps to bring your CHL up to currency it automatically expires and that could lead to a felony should you be found to be carrying without a current CHL. Of course, your state may be different so finding out exactly what to do in a timely manner is to your best interest. Don't wait to do what you need to to. Could result in a permanent loss of your opportunity to carry concealed.
    GOOD SHOOTING
    ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR VISION AND HEARING
    De gustibus non est disputandem

Quote Originally Posted by carry for protection View Post

Anyway, you're required to change your address with the county of issuance within 45 days of moving.

From what it sounds like, all you have to do is call the issuing office, give name, license # and new address. No paperwork, no hassle.

Good luck.

Here is where I got that info...so it may be incorrect, but it seems accurate.
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry :: View topic - Change of address
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post
    Anyway, you're required to change your address with the county of issuance within 45 days of moving.

From what it sounds like, all you have to do is call the issuing office, give name, license # and new address. No paperwork, no hassle.

Good luck.

Here is where I got that info...so it may be incorrect, but it seems accurate.
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry :: View topic - Change of address

THANK YOU!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TOF View Post

Agreed. You better call the local sheriff's office and ask them how soon it needs to be updated after you move (probably 30 days or something). I know they are cracking down on this with DL's, so with a CWL I am sure they are more stringent.

I was told something to this effect when I picked mine up but heard it coming out as "yadda, yadda, yadda" as I don't plan on moving in next 5 years as my home is bought.

I'm not sure the cost of getting new ones (maybe just duplicate price) but I for one would be down at the Sheriff's office pronto after moving, rather than waiting for the unfortunate event of a traffic stop and LEO asking "Sir why don't any of your addresses match?".

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar

In Arizona, you are required to notify DMV within ten days of an address change for a drivers license. I think it is two weeks for the CCW permit. (All Arizona drivers licenses expire when you are 65. Get one at 16 and it is good for 49 years!)

In any event, check your state laws for both licenses.

THANK YOU!!!
    Your welcome. Don't let the other knuckle-heads bother you.

That's what this forum is for. It's usually a great place to ask questions and not get beat up over it.

Who is John Galt?

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    Obviously this is a State law issue, so many of us don't know. I'd suggest you check your local laws to find the correct answer.

Here in Michigan, it's not nec. for us to update until renewal (D.L is a different story).
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

The Ohio database is tough to wade through...which is why he asked here.

In any case the question has been answered already. If you are going to post about how he should search his local laws or search for this and that, you can at least look at what state he is in and read the posts to see if it was already answered.

Thanks to you guys from other states who provide him other states's statutes for his Ohio question. Thanks to all of you who berated him for asking a simple question.

You guys are great.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...g-threads.html

Who is John Galt?

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    I did read every post in the thread (I never respond without doing so). Lots of people give advice, but when it pertains to a different State (I am presuming you are from Ohio, though I saw nothing that states that), it is useless. Even in the correct State, people are prone to getting it wrong (I didn't see ANY Ohio law referenced here yet).

As with any legal advice obtained from the internet, it may only be worth what you paid for it. Hence my suggestion to check local (meaning home State) law. If it's not available through a printed FAQ, or online law reference, I'd suggest trying the State's Attorney General's office, or the authority that issued the permit/license.

If you have a problem with someone reminding him to check an authoritative source because you "already answered it" (without citing applicable statutes) then I suggest you consider what you stated yourself of your source
    it may be incorrect, but it seems accurate
    Because it seems accurate is no reason to consider it so. What if the law States 10 days?

Obviously it would be optimal to simply change the address as soon as he moved, that would avoid any potential conflict. But that's not what he asked. I simply reminded him to check for an authoritative source.

As to those who wanted to pile on because he asked a question? Well, we've got to agree on something, don't we. On this, I think we agree. No need for that type of behavior when one is simply trying to find an answer to a pertinent question.

ETA: My response on Michigan law was purposely to illustrate that the requirements vary from State to State.
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links