Transport through Illinois?

This is a discussion on Transport through Illinois? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My wife is traveling from Florida to Illinois by car and then flying home. She has a Florida CCW. I know Illinois sucks, but I ...

Thread: Transport through Illinois?

My wife is traveling from Florida to Illinois by car and then flying home. She has a Florida CCW. I know Illinois sucks, but I assume she can legally transport as long as the gun is unloaded/locked in the trunk and ammo locked separately?

Now flying back from Midway, which I assume is part of Chicago. Is that even possible? Can she even get the gun to the airport transported in her car trunk, or is that even illegal?

Read down about half way on this link. For IL the firearm needs to be unloaded and in a case. The ammo can be in the same case as the gun and magazines can be loaded, however, loaded mags cannot be inserted in the gun.
    Firearm Owner's Frequently Asked Questions

People fly into and out of OHare and Midway everyday with guns. Call which every airlines she is flying to find out what their requirements are.
    183 FBINA

If IL is her final destination, she cannot own or possess a firearm within the PRIL without having the dreaded IL Firearm Owners Identification Card (FOID). IL does not issues FOIDs to non-residents of IL. My recommendation: leave the firearm at home (or buy a car somewhere other than IL).

A former IL resident.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Should be no problem for a local with a FOID card. Just worried since she's not from Illinois. Been getting conflicting opinions on this from other forums. Some say no problem, others say you need to be legal to possess in both start and end of trip.

That website is still a bit murky. Says you can transport for hunting purposes. I doubt my wife's 32 Tomcat would be considered a hunting gun!

"If a non-resident is coming to Illinois to hunt and would like to bring their firearm, how do they legally transport it?
    Non- residents must be legally eligible to possess or acquire firearms and ammunition in their state of residence. It is recommended that, in order to be in compliance with all statutes, non-residents transport all firearms:

1. Unloaded, and
    2. Enclosed in a case, and
    3. Not immediately accessible or broken down in a nonfunctioning state.

Is it legal to have ammunition in the case with the firearm?
    Yes, so long as the firearm is unloaded and properly enclosed in a case."

It doesn't just apply when hunting. The answer was worded that way because the hunting question is the most frequently asked.
    As long as the gun is unloaded and in a case there's no problem. People from other states legally transport guns to IL all the time with no problem. The World Shooting Complex where the SASS holds their national shoots in IL in September. The Masters is here in IL in August. Those are just 2 of the major shoots. There are many smaller shoots held all over the state that brings in out of staters all the time.
    The Chicago area airports are some of the busiest in the US. Transporting guns on the airlines is not something unique. They are use to it. Just contact your airlines first to see if they have any restrictions or additional requirements.
    183 FBINA

VIP Member
    It's fine to transport guns in a gun case with the mags loaded ( or bullets for a revolver ) , just not in the gun , and can even be in the same case with the gun ,but I always seperate the ammo from the gun. I go across the river to Ill-annoy all the time. I'll be going tomorrow. The Nazzi card ( aka FOID ) is only for residents.
    I always take my revolver because it's easier to unload when I get to the state line and easier to load back up the second I leave the state.
    My brother asked me " Do you carry your gun even when you know you are coming over here"? ( He lives a few miles into Ill-annoy ), I said "Yes everytime". He said " Why would you? It's such a hassle to have to unload your gun". I said " Yes it is, but Ill-annoy won't make me go without my gun for one second longer than I have to".

Sadly my wife decided not to carry due to the potential hassles. If it were me, I would have carried, but she's relatively new to the CCW life. And knowing her, she'd wind up at the airport with a loaded weapon by mistake!

While I hope she stays safe on the trip without her carry piece, it's probably better she didn't try to fly with it just yet.

I wouldn't go.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Links