Would you shoot someone that you knew well if they tried to kill you? - Page 2

Would you shoot someone that you knew well if they tried to kill you?

This is a discussion on Would you shoot someone that you knew well if they tried to kill you? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have some relatives that I DON'T trust...although I don't trust anyone much, anyway... I'm not really around anyone who is drinking much...don't hang with ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I have some relatives that I DON'T trust...although I don't trust anyone much, anyway...
    I'm not really around anyone who is drinking much...don't hang with anyone in the drug crowd...I'm pretty much a home body.

I'm still into 'keeping alive'...friend or foe, I'll take direct threats seriously, but keep in mind...shooting a good friend or relative...you better have an 'airtight' reason...you better have feared for your life!

Stay armed...keep your friends close, your enemies closer...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by spyderdude View Post
    If someone you knew well became violent and attempted to kill you for no reason, would you shoot them in self defense?
    I believe I would do whatever were necessary to terminate the attack. Certainly, I'd be more interested in stopping it without serious damage, but that won't blind me to the goal. The prior relationship is in the past. The attempt on my life is in the present. The past doesn't change that.

I have not been in this situation, thankfully. I have only one volatile (distant) member of the family, and we've only seen each other a couple times, ever. Other than him, I can't imagine it ever happening.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

One needs to put some thought into this matter now rather than wait until faced with such a scenario.

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    Yes.

If they are really a threat to my life, and it is nec. to do so to stop them, then whatever relationship we shared is now out the window. They are no better or worse than a stranger trying to take my life. I would prefer never to have to, but given the alternative, I would prefer taking theirs to them taking mine.
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

Senior Member Array McPatrickClan's Avatar
    Yes. If it comes down to it, you have to abide by your principles of self-defense. Though it would certainly be hard to do.

With one of my closest friends, we have done agreed if for whatever reason one of us went wrong... we each expect the other to stop us by whatever means necessary. Kind of like telling your son if he chose to steal a car/etc..... he better hope the cops catch him before me.
    Glock 19/FEG/FM HiPowers/Keltec P32 for me. When I can't use my 870,N98 or Marlin .30-30 of course...

I would say that maybe you did NOT know them well... if they are really trying to kill you.

I would STOP any and all threats to me or mine. And I would hope that I "manage" my relationships well enough to mitigate such a thing as you described.

I can only see it happening (all things being equal) if the "person" was on some mind-bending drug and really did not know what's happening.

But can that justify YOU taking the hits and absorbing the damage?

My first thought is... one needs to be alive to have "regret" for their actions.

You need to choose what you prefer... either YOU regret... or the other person regrets.

I have.
    “We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm” - George Orwell

VIP Member
    "If someone you knew well became violent and attempted to kill you for no reason, would you shoot them in self defense?"

HELL YES!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by imatt View Post
    It wouldn't matter if I knew them or not - threats to life break all bonds. Once someone crosses the threshold of being a threat to life, any acquaintances or friendships are null and void.

It still wouldn't make me happy. Dealing with the problem wouldn't be the worst part... the betrayal would. Saving a life is a good thing. Especially mine!
    Well put.
    If I feel my life is in danger, I don't care who you are, or how long we've known each other, or if we're related.

Yes.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

1.) Be polite,
    2.) Be professional
    3.) Have a plan to kill everyone you meet

These are words from the wall of the Marine base in Barwana, Iraq (NY Times Magazine, August 20, 2006, page 37).
    To those that paid for my freedom,
    I WILL NEVER FORGET.

As with all statements I've made and All that I will make, please check your local laws to verify accuracy. (and if i'm wrong let me know as I like to be right in the future) After all I'm just some goofball posting on an internet forum.

VIP Member
    Although where the rubber meets the road so to speak you would have to use lethal force, I think it would be exceptionally difficult to claim self-defense afterward.

Unless the individual who came after you was a known psycho, there would always be a little question in the mind of police and jury as to whether or not you really did everything you could to not provoke the situation and to get out of it.

Let's say you were arguing with your daughter's husband. He might be a no good blankity blank and he may have treated your daughter like garbage, but if you engaged in a verbal fight that went downhill, you'll have a hard time with the self-defense argument.

Now, if that same son in-law got high and came through your house looking for your wife's diamond earrings, and was armed and threatening, that would be a different scenario. That I would treat the same as if it was a total stranger.

Yet, even so, you can bet the DA would come up with a story that you offed your daughter's husband because you didn't like him.

Between a rock and a hard place is what this stuff sounds like to me.

Were this to happen, you didn't really know them all that well.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by FknRa View Post
    1.) Be polite,
    2.) Be professional
    3.) Have a plan to kill everyone you meet

These are words from the wall of the Marine base in Barwana, Iraq (NY Times Magazine, August 20, 2006, page 37).
    I think it was like this:

Go to exotic places

Meet exotic people

And kill them

Join the Marines.
    Glock 19/FEG/FM HiPowers/Keltec P32 for me. When I can't use my 870,N98 or Marlin .30-30 of course...

If you have a friend, relative etc that messed up their body and mind on druges, and they were going to seriously hurt and kill you, family memeber, 3rd party... I don't see what makes the threat any different if the person was a total stranger.

If there was a choice in either defending yourself or NOT defending yourself against someone you know, and you choose not to defend yourself.... you would do anything differently if the person was a stranger... so what is the point of carrying a tool such a firearm for self protection if you are not going to use it. I don't think that person should be carrying because they only present the attacker with a deadly weapon to use against other innocent people.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links