Would you shoot someone that you knew well if they tried to kill you? - Page 3

Would you shoot someone that you knew well if they tried to kill you?

This is a discussion on Would you shoot someone that you knew well if they tried to kill you? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by deadeye72 Just as fast as I would shoot someone I did not know. When It comes to protecting myself and my family, ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by deadeye72 View Post
    Just as fast as I would shoot someone I did not know. When It comes to protecting myself and my family, I show no favoritism.
    My thoughts exactly

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    Every now and then we read about someone who suddenly kills his family and a bunch of other people, without any precursor behavior change. I think that's called "psychotic break". It happens. And, as the original poster mentioned, people on drugs can turn murderous. Apparently meth users can flip like that, and never even remember what they did while they were high. Either way, the person doing the killing is no one's friend. Better to stop them, even if it means using lethal force, and grieve later.

As a side note: Most gun control advocates that talk about the number of people in the "Friends, relatives, and acquaintances" group do their best to hide the little fact that most people are acquainted with their enemies, and go so far as to leave off "acquaintances", making the claim that most killers are "friends and family".

Let's not help them perpetuate the lie, eh? Let's keep it clear that the group should be "Acquaintances, including friends, enemies, and relatives".

Nah, I can whoop the tail of everybody I know
    Just kidding. I think the hard part in that equation would be the denial factor that would occur. It would be harder to believe that someone you know was trying to kill you, and then do something about it before death becomes you.

Local cases that happen near here in the last couple of years.

1. Man gets mad because his daughter and son-in-law did not do emough for his wfe on Mother's Day. Gets his gun, walks down the street and kills both daughter and son-in-law.

2. Man and family returns home after wife's wake. Father-in-law gets drunk and starts to blame husband for death of wife(she died of cancer and he is in wheel chair from war injuries). Everyone tells father to go home and sober up. Father walks outside, gets shotgun from car, comes back in a kill husband.

3. Man and twin brother kills wife to collect insurance. After trail, appeal and retrial husband commits suicide and twin brother is sentences to life.

4. Man hires someone to kill foster father for insurance money.

Around here murders seem to be split between drug deals, robbery and just mean people killing relatives and I almost think the mean people are leading.

But back to you dream. I don't ever remember having a dream that involved guns so I can't help you there. I have talked with the fellow that was my CWP instructor several times and had him sepak at our church men's group. He tells the story about how he used to have a dream where he was being attacked and would draw on the BG but the gun would not fire. He said hw would have that dream quite often until he prayed about it and discussed it with his minister. He said that he had to decide within himself if it was permissible for a Christian to kill someone. After he became comfortable with his God that it was OK to kill in self-defense he has never had that dream again.

I believer that our dreams are just something that is in our minds but during the day it is covered with other thoughts. I don't believe there is anything magical about them other than our own thoughts and what we are worried about. Are you concerned about your friend or have you had some arguments? These could trigger a fear of him or a fear for him.

It's either me or him and I know for a fact that I'm going back home to my kids. If I know you and you try to kill me then I really don't know you.

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    YES....if it meant my life or the life of my family...YUP...dead.
    many people try to get to know you before crimes...so this isn't as uncommon as you might think...
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    I forgot I had my signature like that... I do believe in it, and will live up to it. I certainly wouldn't want to shoot and possibly kill anyone I knew, but if it came down to it, and it was inevitable that I would suffer serious injury or death by the hands of someone I knew, I would shoot to stop the threat.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Senior Member Array Sergeant Mac's Avatar
    I would rather die myself than kill my wife or one of my daughters. Beyond that, though, anyone else is fair game.

(Except, of course, if one of my loved ones was bitten by a zombie. That'd just be "doing the right thing".....)

Anyone trying to kill me is not my friend......
    http://www.odmp.org/

Defensor Fortis
    Tutor et Ultor
    Aduentes Fortuna Juvat
    Libertatem Defendimus

Quote Originally Posted by Sergeant Mac View Post
    I would rather die myself than kill my wife or one of my daughters. Beyond that, though, anyone else is fair game.

(Except, of course, if one of my loved ones was bitten by a zombie. That'd just be "doing the right thing".....)
    You strike me as the right thing kinda guy
    All zombies must go!!
    If I have to chose me over (whoever)...well...I love me some me!!!
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

The OP posed the question as someone you know well. I have a hard time imagining a close friend trying to kill me unless he has a brain tumor or something else causing extremely abnormal behavior.

I know a few people that I hate and they probably hate me (hate is probably too strong a word but you catch my drift) and I know them pretty well. The old high school bully(s) and such. At least at one time I knew them well enough that I could identify them in a line up or in the morgue... and would have gladly done so.

If it were a friend or a close family member I really think that I would try to stop the threat through non-lethal means then hopefully get them some medical help.

But as others have posted if it came down to him or me or my wife/kids, I would use whatever force was necessary.

Would you shoot someone that you knew well if they tried to kill you?
    No prejudice here------I'd shoot anyone who tried to kill me. My self survival comes before you-whoever you are. Yep---it's just that simple.

It was:

Join the Army
    Travel to far and distant lands
    Meet strange and exotic people
    and kill them (I had the T-Shirt)

(It was almost as popular as the one that said "This Gringo is going home" - that got me a lot of free meals in Central America...)

and as to the OP "Yes"

you got to defend yourself to survive - you don't have to like it. or the results
    Last edited by MR D; May 25th, 2008 at 11:29 PM. Reason: spelling

eww
    yes

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Would I want to shoot someone I know? No. Would i shoot them if it were a matter of defending myself. Definitely Yes.
    Agreed ^^

I don't want to beat/spray/stab/shoot anyone.
    But if I'm pressed to do so then the choice to my mind is simple and plain.
    And if the attacker happens to be someone I know, which for me has happened before, to my mind now and then nothing changes but their name.

Friends and 'family' don't force friends or 'family' to beat/spray/stab/shoot them.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links