Would you shoot someone that you knew well if they tried to kill you?

This is a discussion on Would you shoot someone that you knew well if they tried to kill you? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I had a dream the other night that a good friend of mine got depressed and turned to drugs, and tried to kill me for ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Would you shoot someone that you knew well if they tried to kill you?

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar

I had a dream the other night that a good friend of mine got depressed and turned to drugs, and tried to kill me for no reason. I ended up turning his chest into swiss cheese after he came at me with a tire iron, then I woke up breathing very heavily, and was glad it was only a dream.

It sort of made me think if I would actually shoot someone I knew in order to save myself or maybe the person I knew tried to kill one of my family members. I'm pretty sure I would, but the aftermath would be almost unbearable, but it's better than being dead.

If someone you knew well became violent and attempted to kill you for no reason, would you shoot them in self defense?

Fortunately the real possibility of this ever happening is slim to none, but still something I've thought about.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

It's definitely a situation where I would do a lot more talking, and trying to calm somebody down, but if it came down to it, yup.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by spyderdude View Post
    If someone you knew well became violent and attempted to kill you for no reason, would you shoot them in self defense?

Just as fast as I would shoot someone I did not know. When It comes to protecting myself and my family, I show no favoritism.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    If I remember correctly a large percentage of people are killed by someone they know. So if we have made the choice to protect our loved ones and ourselves than the answer had better be yes.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

I'll defer to the LEO's out there, but like Mike, I believe that the great majority of homicides are commited by people who knew the victim....

So the answer is, of course. Dying at the hands of an acquaintance isn't any more attractive to me than dying at the hands of a stranger.....

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    It's good to know I'm not alone in this, and figured I wouldn't be. If the person I knew survived, I would probably no longer wish to know that individual.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

VIP Member
    Would I want to shoot someone I know? No. Would i shoot them if it were a matter of defending myself. Definitely Yes.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
    ... the great majority of homicides are commited by people who knew the victim....
    Thats just what I was going to say, you have a far better chance getting into a situation like your dream than you do a random violent crime.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Member Array digitalexplr's Avatar
    Don't really like the thought of shooting someone I don't know, but I would. I also don't like thinking of having to shoot someone I know, but I would if necessary.

Won't feel real good about either situation.

It would depend on who they are. A family friend is very different than a family member.

If we are talking about somebody outside the immediate family, then yes.

If we are talking about wife, son, daughter (yes these scenarios happen to) I do not know what I would do. I honestly do not think I could pull the trigger on a loved one.

I have no friends...

So the choice would be easy for me.

Quote Originally Posted by spyderdude View Post
    In 95% of cases I would never recommend shooting to injure - if you have legal and moral justification to use lethal force, then enough said. Otherwise, the BG could come back for revenge after his jail sentence / hospital stay is over, and might come back with several friends. Additionally, in today's world, it's also possible the BG could try to sue you for whatever you did to him in self defense.

This is one of the other 5% of cases. If, for whatever reason, I had to stop someone emotionally close to me, I'd probably put a 230gr in their knee and hope to God that was enough of a reality shock to get them thinking straight.

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

It wouldn't matter if I knew them or not - threats to life break all bonds. Once someone crosses the threshold of being a threat to life, any acquaintances or friendships are null and void.

It still wouldn't make me happy. Dealing with the problem wouldn't be the worst part... the betrayal would. Saving a life is a good thing.

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    I'm left wondering how a psychologist would interpret your dream...and I hope you don't sleep to close to your weapon.

Rick

I live in South Texas and you would not believe how many homicides are committed by friends and family members of the victims,seems like down here once the beer and tequila start flowing with a good dose of male machismo and it gets volatile
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links