Traffic stop by LEO - offer up CCW Permit?

This is a discussion on Traffic stop by LEO - offer up CCW Permit? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Know you state laws. NC requires you to inform the officer if you are carrying. I have been stopped 2 times in my car by ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Traffic stop by LEO - offer up CCW Permit?

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    Know you state laws. NC requires you to inform the officer if you are carrying. I have been stopped 2 times in my car by State Trooppers and I had my DL, CCP and Military ID ready with my hands on the wheel when approached. Both times was asked where my weapon was. Never asked to show it and did not receive a ticket for either stop. Second trooper and I had a good 10 minute talk about guns and I now shoot with him on a regular basis. Once was stopped at a checkpoint on my motorcycle and told the trooper I was carrying and was not asked for my permit, just my DL.
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

2. Remove Ads

In FL one does not have to mentioned being armed, but I have no problem politely informing...

My comment, twice in Florida was..."Officer, as a courtesy I would like to inform you that I am a legally armed Floridian..."...the response was the same each time..."Where is your firearm?" I said, "Inside my right-side waistband." He said, "Thanks for telling me."
    I have never been asked for ID or to see the weapon.
    I didn't freeze to the wheel, I didn't feel nervous, I just spoke as a matter of fact, but respectfully.

I said the same thing once in TN when I thought a motel, we were trying to get into, may have had a problem.
    My wife and I pulled into a TN motel...all the lights were on, the TV was on loudly, and checks and receipts were on the counter...but no one was around. I called the cops who were there in 2 minutes...as the cop walked in, I informed him just as I did above...He said, "Where is it?" I said, "Inside my right-hand waistband." He said, "Are you a cop?" I said, "No, just a legally armed Floridian." He said, " I have no problem with that. What do you carry?" I said, "A Kimber, Ultra." He said, "Those are nice guns." And then he went about his business and found the manager asleep in a back room. He kind of yelled at the manager to start doing his job. (He may have known him!)
    He walked back to his car and only commented, "Have a nice night!"
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

First, know your state laws regarding notifying an officer.

From there, use your best judgment.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    Personally I would hand the officer my DL, registration and CCW permit and follow any instructions he might have regarding the concealed weapon. I'd skip any ridiculous speeches about what the law requires me to do. I'd answer the officer's questions and follow his instructions. I can't imagine this would make me less than compliant with any state law.
    Ridiculous speeches? Yeah, whatever.

Reality check, the intent here is that the officer be notified immediately that we are carrying. Handing him a license does not accomplish that task, in addition it would be a bit into the contact, which is not immediate. I am not reaching for my wallet to show him ID until he tells me to show him ID.... LEO's don't want to see you rummaging around for something as they approach your vehicle. Best to keep your hands on the steering wheel, puts them much more at ease. And if you wait until he requests your ID, then reach for your wallet, he's going to be upset when he finds out you've got a gun and he just calmly watched you reach (and what if he spots it while you're going for your wallet?).

From the Michigan State Police FAQ page (emphasis is theirs)
    "An individual licensed to carry a concealed pistol who is stopped by a police officer (traffic stop or otherwise) while in possession of a pistol shall immediately disclose to the police officer that he or she is carrying a concealed pistol either on their person or in their motor vehicle."

The intent was made quite clear in multiple classes/discussions with instructors here. They want immediate notification.

My one sentence notification is non threatening, concise, quick, and beats the heck out of blurting out "I've got a gun", which I'm sure some idiots have done. Again, only talking Michigan here. Not sure I'd notify or not if not required to. But here, it's mandatory and expected to be immediate.
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

"Officer, as a courtesy I would like to inform you that I am a legally armed Flori

retsupt99 had some good advice and advising LEO about being armed. ...("Officer, as a courtesy I would like to inform you that I am a legally armed Floridian...".) I am curious what your one-line notification sounds like. Can you share it?

jp

Quote Originally Posted by T Bone
    "Good evening. I am required by State law to inform you that I am carrying a concealed pistol"
    That's the line. I like Rets too, and it's similar to what I use if I'm not armed (in my initial post page one, you'll see the story of the State Trooper who was upset when the computer informed him of my CPL instead of me-though I wasn't required to inform him, as I wasn't carrying).
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

Administrator
    If you used that line, I'd laugh at you and call you Eddie Haskel... Plain english works wonders.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    If you used that line, I'd laugh at you and call you Eddie Haskel... Plain english works wonders.
    Who? Oh yeah, the Cleaver's neighbor (you must be even older than me!).

Laugh all you want. The cops here don't. It shows intent to comply with the law, and gets the message across quickly and in a non threatening manor.

Care to share how you'd do it?
    Regards, T Bone.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
    Who? Oh yeah, the Cleaver's neighbor (you must be even older than me!).

Laugh all you want. The cops here don't. It shows intent to comply with the law, and gets the message across quickly and in a non threatening manor.

Hey, I'm a permit holder and I'm armed... plain, sweet and simple.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member

he'd show his badge and say "how's it goin?"

lol
    Last edited by 64zebra; May 25th, 2008 at 11:01 PM. Reason: dang spelling
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    In FL one does not have to mentioned being armed, but I have no problem politely informing...

My comment, twice in Florida was..."Officer, as a courtesy I would like to inform you that I am a legally armed Floridian..."...the night!"
    You said that twice???

VIP Member
    I've had to do this twice, both times after the officer asked for my DL/insurance, I immediately said I have my CHL and my pistol is "......"
    both times no problems, everything went smoothly
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

T-BONE I think that telling them right away is always the best option. However I question your method. Saying, "I am REQUIRED to inform you that I have a CCW permit", is most likely not the best method. Saying this implies that you are reluctant to give him the information, but you are required to. That indicates that you really don't care about my safety. And that is a bad start. I think.

Try something like this. The cop pulls you over. Pull well of of the roadway, turn your over head light on if it is low light, place your hands on the wheel and wait(this might make him think that you are a police officer, so he is already a little bit more relaxed). When the officer comes up, he is going to explain who he is and why he pulled you over. Most likely he will then ask for your drivers license and registration. At this point I would tell him, "Sir, before I get my license out I think you should know that I have a concealed carry permit." He then might ask you if you are carrying a handgun, or he might just assume that you are. At some point he will say something like, "OK. Go ahead and give me your license and registration.

This method has several advantages. One you allow the officer to say what he wants to say first. Two you tell the officer that you have a concealed carry permit, before you say some thing like "I have a gun". Three, he knows you have a gun before you start reaching behind your back to pull out your wallet(remember even if the cop you are looking at can't see your gun, you don't know if their is another cop looking in from the other side). Four I think that it is much better to say it in a natural conversation(where you are thinking about officer safety) then to just hand him the card. This is impersonal and you are waisting an opportunity to speak and build a bond between you and the officer. It is a lot harder for him to write you a ticket if he likes you and you were looking out for his safety. This is what I would do if I was ever pulled over. Not that I ever have been.

Administrator
    Here is an old thread started by a wonderful classy guy, read up, its a fun read.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ops-101-a.html
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
    Ridiculous speeches? Yeah,

From the Michigan State Police FAQ page (emphasis is theirs)
    "An individual licensed to carry a concealed pistol who is stopped by a police officer (traffic stop or otherwise) while in possession of a pistol shall immediately disclose to the police officer that he or she is carrying a concealed pistol either on their person or in their motor vehicle."

Not a requirement in my state. I'd do it as a courtesy but not by means of some canned speech that will just sound silly to the cop.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links