Traffic stop by LEO - offer up CCW Permit?

This is a discussion on Traffic stop by LEO - offer up CCW Permit? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Traffic stop by LEO - offer up CCW Permit? Here in my state, it's sort of a requirement. Otherwise they may get ugly on you. ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Traffic stop by LEO - offer up CCW Permit?

Traffic stop by LEO - offer up CCW Permit?
    Here in my state, it's sort of a requirement. Otherwise they may get ugly on you. Hey! It could mean the difference in getting a ticket or not. Seriously---they don't take well to secrets around these parts.

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Here in my state, it's sort of a requirement. Otherwise they may get ugly on you. Hey! It could mean the difference in getting a ticket or not. Seriously---they don't take well to secrets around these parts.
    And they already know anyways... its not like you are really fooling anybody, might as well show some courtesy.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    Side question for LEO's here.... the ovehead light. Always used to turn it on (as suggested by Judo Jake a couple posts back). Last time that happened, the officer asked me to turn it off! Of course I did. Not sure if he was worried I'd switch it off and he coudln't see me, or what. But I think he preferred to look in with his flashlight (also seemed to want to shine it in my eyes, asked if I'd been drinking-hadn't).

So, light or no light?

Sorry you guys don't like my canned line. But it still gets the point across, and in person, doesn't make me sound reluctant at all. I think it puts the officer at ease....makes me sound co-operative, compliant with the law. Maybe it loses something being written, not sounding conversational. But hopefully, I won't get many chances to use it anyway. Last time was about 4 or 5 years ago.
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

Administrator
    It really doesnt matter much anymore, but light on shows your intent, so I say turn it on.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by T Bone View Post

Sorry you guys don't like my canned line. But it still gets the point across, and in person, doesn't make me sound reluctant at all. I think it puts the officer at ease....makes me sound co-operative, compliant with the law. Maybe it loses something being written, not sounding conversational. But hopefully, I won't get many chances to use it anyway. Last time was about 4 or 5 years ago.
    If it works for you and you are comfortable with it good on ya. Actually I have yet to be pulled over or stopped by LE while carrying. Hope it doesn't happen but now that I've bragged...................

Quote Originally Posted by dcb188 View Post
    For speeding, no, never. Nor for many other things, for that matter. Two reasons: Your firearm has nothing to do with the alleged violation. And the mention of a gun might/will spook a LEO very unnecessarily.
    The question will almost never ever come up except when the officer asks, sir, is there anything in the car that I should know about, and that is almost always after you are on your way to being handcuffed anyway.
    Short of that, for speeding or for any other reason? Never should mention it. Naturally if it is on the front passenger seat as some states allow, then when he or she walks up, right away say something. Otherwise, never.
    Not because you don't have to, but because there is no reason for it.
    Personally I think this is bad advice. First, you should look to what your state laws are concerning this. If there are non that you can find, ask an officer what they would consider appropriate.

Here in Texas the law states you are required to inform the officer that you have a valid CHL and have your weapon with you on your person. If you don't have a CHL and have your weapon in the car, you still have to let them know. If you have a CHL and are not carrying and don't have your CHL with you, you are not required to show it to the officer but in tunr he can give you a warning that it was not shown. A second offense of this sort can lead to a suspension, but it's officer's disgression. All in all, the last thing I'd want to do is annoy a LEO. Even if it were not required I would notify just out of respect.
    It is to be observed that Right of Self-Defence, arises directly and immediately from the Care of our own Preservation, which Nature recommends to every one. . . , and that this right is so primary, that it cannot be denied on the basis that it is not "expressly set forth.

--- Hugo Grotius

As someone else already pointed out, it's required here in Michigan, and even if you're from out of state, visiting here, you have to go by Michigan rules.

For what it's worth. The few times I've been stopped, and informed the officer, I have so far, never gotten a ticket. So, my plan, if I'm driving through another state, that recognizes my permit, and I get stopped, I'm gonna tell them.

I would say.."I HAVE A GUN>>>>DON'T TAZE ME BRO"
    seroiusly,I think I'd probably tell him 1st thing.I carry 99% of the time,and I'd hate for the cop to somehow see my little airweight peeking out of my pocket and get squirrey about it.The local guys in my town would'nt care much,but people in the nearby city of Albany or the statie may be a different story.Luckily I havn't been stopped in the 6 years I've been carrying.
    "Just because I'm paranoid,doesn't mean they're NOT after me...."

Be honest and use your head

As a LEO I will tell you what I prefer in this instance. If it is dark out, turn on your interior light before I get to the window. keep your hands high on the steering wheel where I can see them. Before you move them, tell the officer, "I have a permit to carry a handgun and I do have a loaded firearm on my person, (tell them where on your person it is)". You are not legally obligated to do any of this, but it is good common sense.

# I see some states require notification, I didn't realize that. If your state rtequires it then by all means do it!
    Last edited by HWYPAT42; May 26th, 2008 at 08:36 AM. Reason: Legal opinion refers to NY Law

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nativenyerintexas View Post
    Here in Texas the law states you are required to inform the officer that you have a valid CHL and have your weapon with you on your person. If you don't have a CHL and have your weapon in the car, you still have to let them know. If you have a CHL and are not carrying and don't have your CHL with you, you are not required to show it to the officer but in tunr he can give you a warning that it was not shown. A second offense of this sort can lead to a suspension, but it's officer's disgression. All in all, the last thing I'd want to do is annoy a LEO. Even if it were not required I would notify just out of respect.
    need to double check some info....
    yes, in Texas CHLs are required to show CHL and DL/ID when a magistrate or peace officer asks for ID, but ONLY IF you have a handgun on or about your person. If a person with CHL does not have a handgun you don't have to show or possess your CHL.

technically, if a person does not have a CHL and has a handgun in their car, there is no requirement for informing an officer (unless they ask, then you better not lie), though it would be a good courtesy to inform them

if you have a CHLicense but do not have your handgun on or about you, there is no penalty for not showing the CHL, you are only required to show the CHL when you have the handgun, there is no law to give a CHL a warning/ticket for not having your CHLicense when you do not have a handgun with you

411.205. DISPLAYING LICENSE; PENALTY. (a) If a
    license holder is carrying a handgun on or about the license
    holder's person
    when a magistrate or a peace officer demands that the license holder display identification, the license holder shall
    display both the license holder's driver's license or
    identification certificate issued by the department and the license
    holder's handgun license. A person who fails or refuses to display
    the license and identification as required by this subsection is
    subject to suspension of the person's license as provided by
    Section 411.187.
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

In Texas we are required to give CHL & DL if we have a concealed handgun. LEO suggests that we show both even if we're not carrying. CHL instructor suggests that we show both licenses and not mention the gun until/unless we're asked by LEO. The one time I was stopped for speeding, I showed both licenses. I was not asked about the gun, and for whatever reason I was not given a ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    If you used that line, I'd laugh at you and call you Eddie Haskel... Plain english works wonders.
    "Good evening officer Cleaver. My, that's a sharp looking uniform your wearing."

"... LEO's don't want to see you rummaging around for something as they approach your vehicle..."

I would think that that's a good way to get your car searched.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by 64zebra View Post
    need to double check some info....
    yes, in Texas CHLs are required to show CHL and DL/ID when a magistrate or peace officer asks for ID, but ONLY IF you have a handgun on or about your person. If a person with CHL does not have a handgun you don't have to show or possess your CHL.

technically, if a person does not have a CHL and has a handgun in their car, there is no requirement for informing an officer (unless they ask, then you better not lie), though it would be a good courtesy to inform them

if you have a CHLicense but do not have your handgun on or about you, there is no penalty for not showing the CHL, you are only required to show the CHL when you have the handgun, there is no law to give a CHL a warning/ticket for not having your CHLicense when you do not have a handgun with you

411.205. DISPLAYING LICENSE; PENALTY. (a) If a
    license holder is carrying a handgun on or about the license
    holder's person
    when a magistrate or a peace officer demands that the license holder display identification, the license holder shall
    display both the license holder's driver's license or
    identification certificate issued by the department and the license
    holder's handgun license. A person who fails or refuses to display
    the license and identification as required by this subsection is
    subject to suspension of the person's license as provided by
    Section 411.187.
    I just took the class for the first time last month and this was a question on the test. I don't have time right now to look up the statute but it is in the current 2007-2008 CHL Law. When I have time, I'll try to find it. It was mentioned in the class the LEO can give you a 'failed to display' (or something to that affect) warning.
    It is to be observed that Right of Self-Defence, arises directly and immediately from the Care of our own Preservation, which Nature recommends to every one. . . , and that this right is so primary, that it cannot be denied on the basis that it is not "expressly set forth.

--- Hugo Grotius

We have pretty much the same rule here in Michigan. You only "have to " mention your CPL, IF you are packing. But most instructors I know, suggest telling anyway, just to save you the hassle, after all, it doesn't hurt you to tell them you have a permit, does it?

And in the end, it will likely save you a hassle, once the cop runs your license and finds out you have a permit.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nativenyerintexas View Post
    I just took the class for the first time last month and this was a question on the test. I don't have time right now to look up the statute but it is in the current 2007-2008 CHL Law. When I have time, I'll try to find it. It was mentioned in the class the LEO can give you a 'failed to display' (or something to that affect) warning.
    PM sent to you, no sense it straying this thread off topic any further
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links