Traffic stop by LEO - offer up CCW Permit?

This is a discussion on Traffic stop by LEO - offer up CCW Permit? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The Police already know you have a permit in my state when the run your plate and we have no "duty to inform". With that ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Traffic stop by LEO - offer up CCW Permit?

VIP Member
    The Police already know you have a permit in my state when the run your plate and we have no "duty to inform". With that said, I would hand my permit with my license to the officer out of courtesy and to demonstrate to him/her that I am fully cooperative.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    I had a wreck and when the Trooper got there I said "I just want to let you know..." He asked "where?" and I told him "on my belt." He replied "okay."

Later I got stopped because I forgot to put the '09 sticker on my plate. Officer got to the window and I said "I just want to let you know..." (I actually had 5 in the truck.) He said "Ha ha; Just don't reach for it and we'll be okay." He looked at my driver license and asked "Are you law enforcement?" (The Corps figured out a way to make my haircut permanent and actually I do get asked that a lot.) He ran my plate and told me to put the sticker on when I got home.

My other encounter what when I was at the mall that I got effectively banned from and the deputy sheriff told me to lay it down on a car hood. I took the holster and all off and he gave it back to me later in the holster, condition 1.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

In the State of GA, it's not a requirement to inform police that you are legally armed or carry... but if the officer asks I would tell them, but unless they ask, I won't tell them because I don't feel like to be held for how ever long for something that's not necessary. In some other states, it's a requirement and I would look up the laws of your State... this should have been something that you and all over permit holders should have done, knowing the laws is a vital part of responsible carry.

I believe it is now law in florida to inform and give over the permit with the DL. But I am not sure. I know I do.

I recently had an AC unit stolen from a rental house. When the LEO came for the report and wanted my DL, I gave him that and my permit. He looked at me weird at first, then said thanks. Other than that, non-issue.

In Tennessee you are not required to inform the officer. How ever I always keep both of my hands visible and tell the officer that I'm carrying a weapon, and a legal carry license. It has never been an issue, as a matter of fact I Have never receiced a ticket in the past 7 years. Sometimes courtesy is a good thing.
    Jack dog

I agree w/ most - a little courtesy goes a long way to avoiding problems w/ LEOs. My CWP is in the ID folder right across from my DL, the officer gets em both, sees em both and there is never a misunderstanding. He asks, I comply. Simple.

In SC, you are required to show the CWP with your driver's license when you are carrying. I think it is good practice to inform the officer that you have a CWP even when not carrying. What harm can it do? It will prevent any misunderstandings by making it appear you are hiding something.

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    You're in Florida and you have NO obligation to disclose. None whatever.
    On the other hand you really don't want the LEO finding a "surprise" when you move.
    Your CCW in Florida is not hooked up with your D/L and the LEO has no idea your permitted.
    My advise for what it's worth is hand the LEO your CCW with your other papers. Then just wait with your hands on the wheel. Usually all you're going to be asked "is where is it?" Then you'll be told to keep your hands off it.
    Everytime I've disclosed I've gotten off with a warning. The one time I didn't disclose I got the ticket.
    Choice is your's

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    In Alaska it is the law for a citizen to inform of CCW, permit or no permit.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Quote Originally Posted by AirForceShooter View Post
    You're in Florida and you have NO obligation to disclose. None whatever.
    On the other hand you really don't want the LEO finding a "surprise" when you move.
    Your CCW in Florida is not hooked up with your D/L and the LEO has no idea your permitted.
    My advise for what it's worth is hand the LEO your CCW with your other papers. Then just wait with your hands on the wheel. Usually all you're going to be asked "is where is it?" Then you'll be told to keep your hands off it.
    Everytime I've disclosed I've gotten off with a warning. The one time I didn't disclose I got the ticket.
    Choice is your's

AFS
    If you did this here in Metro Atlanta, he would disarm you and run a check on the serial number... and some times inexperienced or ignorant cops will actually DRAW their weapons on people OCing (like DeKalb county), even though its perfectly legal... it's not wise and showing the CCW permit can have you there for up to 20min.
    http://www.bloombergfightbackfund.com/
    Sig P220R/Sig P239 (9mm)/ S&W 640/ Ruger Single Six Hunter (.22LR/Mag)/ CZ 452 Varmint .22LR/ Lee Enfield No4 MK2 sporterized dated 1959/ Mosin Nagant M90-30 dated 1942/

Quote Originally Posted by nativenyerintexas View Post
    Here in Texas the law states you are required to inform the officer that you have a valid CHL and have your weapon with you on your person.
    Correct, but producing the CHL constitutes informing the officer, meaning that you do not actually have to state that you have a handgun.

If you don't have a CHL and have your weapon in the car, you still have to let them know.
    Since September 2007 Texas has allowed non-CHL's to carry in their car. I cannot find where the law requires a non-CHL driver to inform the officer that he is carrying. If there is not such a law, it produces an inconsistency between CHL and non-CHL. If you have a statute cite for what you say, I really would like to have it because it would mean that there is some sense in the law.

If you have a CHL and are not carrying and don't have your CHL with you, you are not required to show it to the officer but in turn he can give you a warning that it was not shown. A second offense of this sort can lead to a suspension. . .
    On my wife's last stop she produced her CHL. She was asked if she was carrying, and she said "No." The cop then said "Then why are you showing me this?"

From my review of the statutes, it appears that the cop was right. The CHL does not have to be produced if you are not carrying, and there are no penalties regardless of how many times this occurs. However, I think that it makes good sense to produce it anyway.

Shouldn't this be a moot point if everyone is wearing the "Concealed Carry Badge" around their neck? Geez people - get with the program!

LOL

Quote Originally Posted by cwblanco View Post
    On my wife's last stop she produced her CHL. She was asked if she was carrying, and she said "No." The cop then said "Then why are you showing me this?"

From my review of the statutes, it appears that the cop was right. The CHL does not have to be produced if you are not carrying, and there are no penalties regardless of how many times this occurs. However, I think that it makes good sense to produce it anyway.
    I have concluded that my instructor has fudged he law slightly in this respect and at least one other. It is not required to show if you're not carrying and here are no repurcussions from what I've seen. Also, my instructor told us that if you're carrying you are not allowed to consume any alcohol at all. That's not what the law states. It says you can drink but you are not allowed to be drunk while carrying. I can understand why he said this though because if he just stated the law, people will normally let it slide a little bit once, then a little more, then a little more and so on until they're out of control. If a zero tolerance is portrayed unto the instructees then they'll feel it's a serious offense.
    It is to be observed that Right of Self-Defence, arises directly and immediately from the Care of our own Preservation, which Nature recommends to every one. . . , and that this right is so primary, that it cannot be denied on the basis that it is not "expressly set forth.

--- Hugo Grotius

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nativenyerintexas View Post
    I have concluded that my instructor has fudged he law slightly in this respect and at least one other. It is not required to show if you're not carrying and here are no repurcussions from what I've seen. Also, my instructor told us that if you're carrying you are not allowed to consume any alcohol at all. That's not what the law states. It says you can drink but you are not allowed to be drunk while carrying. I can understand why he said this though because if he just stated the law, people will normally let it slide a little bit once, then a little more, then a little more and so on until they're out of control. If a zero tolerance is portrayed unto the instructees then they'll feel it's a serious offense.
    Your instructor needs to get his stuff straight. Obviously he's a bit behind in critical laws, on a subject he is entrusted (and paid) to teach to those requiring this knowledge.

As to zero tolerance on alcohol, he should teach what the law says. Then he can feel as free as he wants to interject his own thoughts and feelings and cautions on the subject. But he should not teach that as law. It is a disservice to those who pay him for a proper education.
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links