Traffic stop by LEO - offer up CCW Permit?

This is a discussion on Traffic stop by LEO - offer up CCW Permit? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am new to this forum and I have a lot of questions. This is one of them.... I have been carrying a Glock 30 ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Traffic stop by LEO - offer up CCW Permit?

I am new to this forum and I have a lot of questions. This is one of them....

I have been carrying a Glock 30 for a couple years now and have never been stopped for a traffic offense by LEO. However, if I was to be stopped for say..., speeding or something like that..., should I volunteer the information to the police officer that I have a CCW Permit and have a loaded weapon on my person?

I have read a few articles concerning this situation and have noted that it is also very important in the manner and and terminology of how you present this information to the LEO. "I have a gun" is normally not the type of thing police officers like to hear.

Does anyone have experience with this type of situation or advise on how to respond at a traffic stop?

jp

For speeding, no, never. Nor for many other things, for that matter. Two reasons: Your firearm has nothing to do with the alleged violation. And the mention of a gun might/will spook a LEO very unnecessarily.
    The question will almost never ever come up except when the officer asks, sir, is there anything in the car that I should know about, and that is almost always after you are on your way to being handcuffed anyway.
    Short of that, for speeding or for any other reason? Never should mention it. Naturally if it is on the front passenger seat as some states allow, then when he or she walks up, right away say something. Otherwise, never.
    Not because you don't have to, but because there is no reason for it.
    Surrounded and outnumbered, Marine Col Lewis Puller: "Good! We finally got 'em where we want 'em!" (Korea, 1950)

This is one of those debates that turns bad pretty often, but most of us are required to show both our permit and our D.L. when asked for I.D. by an officer.

I would even if I wasn't required. It seems a lot of Law Enforcement around these parts will not give a ticket to a permit holder unless they absolutely have to.

Even if it just decreases my chances by 20%, that's better than 0%.

For what it's worth, I've only been pulled over once, and I handed him my CHL on top, my Military I.D. underneath that, and my D.L. on the bottom. He didn't even get to my D.L. before he told me to, "Have a nice day."
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

I've offered my permit and informed the officer of what I had & where it was carried every time and never had a problem.

Some states require it. Here in Arizona we don't have to unless asked.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

I would guess that once he 'runs' your info he's gonna get back the fact that you have a permit. Its that way in most states. If he sees that you have a permit, he's gonna want to know if you are carrying so just be up front about all of it.

My advice would be to hand to LEO your CC permit along w/your DL, registration & proof of ins. and tell him right then and there that you have/don't have a firearm on your person or in the vehicle. And keep your hands on the steering wheel while so informing him.

A lot of states require you inform LEOs of this when an official 'contact' is made anyway.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

VIP Member
    this has been discussed quite a few times on this forum
    you might search for more threads

but IMO, show them, be up front and honest, this should put the officer at ease a little since you are being honest and up front, plus it gives the impression your not the typical scumbag that he pulls over

I'm starting our police academy in 2 weeks, I'll be out on the street in January, I know I'd appreciate the honesty and straight forward attitude
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    Here in Michigan I have to if carrying (it is a condition of the license)

My planned line is "Good evening. I am required by State law to inform you that I am carrying a concealed pistol". I only have used that once. It was a non issue (though the officer asked where it was, and in that rare case it was in the trunk - yep, still required!).

One other time I was stopped, I was not carrying (again rare). The State Trooper came back to my car angry, asking if I had a CPL (the computer had told him I did). I told him yes, but I was not carrying. "Don't you know that you are required to inform me on initial contact that you have a CPL"? I tactfully told him I thought it only applied if I was carrying (I didn't think, I knew, but tact seemed in order here-don't want to further upset him by claiming he doesn't know the law- and being right! ). He again returned to his car (to write my ticket). Took him some time (was checking to see if he could confiscate my CPL I am sure).

When he returned (with the ticket), he was much calmer. Nice in fact. But still gave me the ticket (I did deserve it) and told me we could plea bargain it down some in court. Told me "Oh, by the way. You were right, you only need to inform me when you are carrying, I looked it up". Surprise! Future notes, here in Michigan I will inform them of my CPL even if not carrying (unlikely). "Officer, as a courtesy I wish to inform you I have a Michigan CPL, though I am not carrying tonight (that is so unlikely though...).
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Timing is everything...from another thread that has been around awhile:

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ow-id-leo.html

Rick

Personally I would hand the officer my DL, registration and CCW permit and follow any instructions he might have regarding the concealed weapon. I'd skip any ridiculous speeches about what the law requires me to do. I'd answer the officer's questions and follow his instructions. I can't imagine this would make me less than compliant with any state law.

I'm a retired cop. I wouldn't show mine unless asked. I've seen way too many officers over react. I don't want them handling my gun, let alone trying to unload it. I don't want it tossed on the hood of the car. To a cop, a legally licensed carrier offers very little threat. The BG's sure aren't going to tell me they're armed. I already assume everyone is. Why complicate a simple stop? Now if you did something that might warrant a search, or are driving suspended, THEN I'd suggest handing the permit over along with your DL.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

VIP Member
    As mentioned it is required in some states. Not sure about FL. I know it is required in OK, not required in VA. I have been stopped twice in VA, first time LEO ask if I was carryinf as soon as he got to my door, I never had time to say anything to him. Second time LEO did not ask, but I told him I was a permit holder and that I had a weapon in my vehicle. He just ask where it was and went on with his job. I see no harm in telling him I have a weapon with me. Maybe if I were in a gun unfriendly state like Mass. I might think differently.

In "gun country" you are not required to say anything about a firearm.
    But that is not why I would not say anything about it.
    Complicating things, as was stated, makes no sense.
    We get stopped for going 70 in a 60 and the first thing we want to do is to let the officer know we have a gun????
    What does that have to do with anything except in those places where it is state law to inform LEO of it?
    Hi officer. I was going 70? Okay. Sorry--guess I wasn't paying attention... I have a gun and a license to have it.......
    Surrounded and outnumbered, Marine Col Lewis Puller: "Good! We finally got 'em where we want 'em!" (Korea, 1950)

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    IMO..I feel it is courtesy to tell LEO you are carrying no matter what state you are in...Here in MI, it is the law...but I am one of the good guys, and have nothing to hide, and I bet most LEO's on here would agree.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

Administrator
    I'd tell him to go search DC.com, he can read the same argument over and over for days, and hopefully he will forget about me and my speeding infraction.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links