Tattoos, Percings and Other Profiling Techniques - Page 4

Tattoos, Percings and Other Profiling Techniques

This is a discussion on Tattoos, Percings and Other Profiling Techniques within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Everyone have a great Memorial Day! So we have three new faces to put along with usernames now----aint that something? How many of the rest ...

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Everyone have a great Memorial Day! So we have three new faces to put along with usernames now----aint that something? How many of the rest of you wouldn't dare post a pic of yourself here? Consider yourself challenged then and post up--everyone in this thread. I just got back online ten minutes ago. Woke up this morning without power from some storms. We're headed out to the gun club picnic at the range. I hope to see alot more of you when I get home this afternoon.

I have worked in education my entire life. I rode a motorcycle to my office where I was the school superintendent...that played with a lot of minds 20 years ago.
    After a lengthy retirement, I recently took a job teaching high school English. My classes are composed of some wearing thug pants and 'grills'...some with really long hair, some with tats everywhere, and all have 'attitudes' that are extremely different from students decades ago.

During this new found pastime, I have continued (as in the past) to judge people according to their actions rather than their dress. I can, with quite a bit of accuracy, tell you who has a future retirement plan that includes jail and/or death...and who has the energy to become successful individuals in the world of 'work'.

I have witnessed some 'bad' looking dudes who, after getting to know them, are great kids with some bright futures. I have also been surprised by well-dressed, polite young people...who were arrested for burglary and taken out of school in cuffs.

In many of the above posts, some have described themselves as looking like 'outlaws', if I can use that term...and then wonder why people treat them as such before getting a better understanding of the 'individual'...isn't that human nature? Dress and personal taste are not an accurate judge of the character contained inside, but it can be an 'indicator'.

When I see the full body tats, long hair (just wish I had hair), enough holes in the face to create leaking problems when having a glass of water, and the various other indicators of..."I want to be different!"...I am, at first, a bit careful about assuming the individual maintains character, values, and responsibility I would identify with...

I guess I'm saying that judging one by his/her looks isn't so much an issue of stereotyping as much as it an issue of probability...

Stay armed...stay cognizant, have a 'watchful eye'...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Profiling works IMHO because people apply it and don't keep track of how many times they were wrong, against the one time they were right. 20 or 200 false positives are worth less than one Ah hah...see I told ya! moment.
    Apply those same odds to gambling or say ones own health care conditioning and then the math becomes crystal clear as being long odds at best.
    Now that is one of the best statements I've read in this thread. It's like the story about the guy who said he had 21 years of experience when in fact he had 1 year of experience 21 times.

In my circle of friends, I don't have a lot of tattooed people. Well, maybe I do, but they are in places I've never seen. This limits my experience with wildly tattoed folks.

But I'm getting more experienced. My fencing instructor recently had one of his tattoos (a black spider) redesigned into this beautiful phoenix rising from the ashes.
    -Tony

"Those who beat their guns into plowshares will plow for those who didn't." -- Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    I have not waded through all the pages of this thread. However, it is only realistic to realize that those whose appearance or actions depart from the norm will be "looked at differently."
    Watching programs on prisons I see that all of the inmates are heavily tattooed. I realize that all who have tatoos are not thugs, and know some who are very nice people. But when I see one who has extensive tattoos I do watch him more closely.

I am one of the older folks here, and I admit I do not like tattoos (or earrings in a male) or piercings. I have no friends who are such, and do not associate on a personal basis with such. If I were in business I would not hire those folks.

So each has the freedom to do as he pleases about it, but we who do not like those things, or associate them with people who do drugs and violence, will see you as one who is not desirable to be friends with. One has the freedom to tattoo and pierce, and others have the freedom to choose other friends.

This is not intended to offend you, but the question comes up, and this is my position.

Regards,
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by nativenyerintexas View Post
    So we deserve to be treated like crap because we have long hair, a beard and mustache and ride a motorcycle?
    No, there's a difference between treating someone like crap, and giving them an extra measure of attention. And besides, in that top pic, you look like Jesus in shades.
    -Tony

"Those who beat their guns into plowshares will plow for those who didn't." -- Thomas Jefferson

Senior Moderator
    RamRod..

I am looking at your picture. I am noticing the slight tilt of your head to the right, which indicates to me a sort of "in your eye" attitude. Also your hands are not in plain sight. Knowing that you are from Arkansas, and since you have intentionally hid your hands, I figure you are holding a .45 or something behind your back.

Other than that...you look like most of my freinds...
    and none of them are to be trifled with...
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Dog profiling

Ok, here's a profiling question. Remember, there's no wrong answer.

Which dog would you pay more attention to defensively?

This one?

DobermanPincher9MonthsUiuyiuu8.JPG

Or this one?

poodle.jpg

(My answer is below the fold)

For me, it's the poodle. Every doberman I've ever met in my life has been a big friendly baby. Every poodle I've met has been a vicious, nasty monster.

Guess it all depends on your life experiences.
    -Tony

Administrator
    Actually, poodles are well know to be excellent watch/guard dogs... I guess you just have to know dogs.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by FN1910 View Post

When I see someone covered in tattoos I can't help but think are they actually a leader or follower. There is no originality in being tattooed or having your body pierced, just that you are following someone other that the standard. If I were interviewing someone for a job in a leadershipor creative role and they were tattooed I would think twice about their qualifications. However if it was an assembly line jod then tattoos would be fine.
    ok, so I hope I am not wearing out my welcome.

I like how you are open to the two extremes of "leader or follower."

I just thought you might like to see my creative side:

I painted this with oil paints on wood panel. It is about 4' x 5' in size.

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Sixto,

Just curious, but can you translate your avatar for us? It looks like what was printed in my last fortune cookie.

I have a question..... just what does danger or death look like? If it were as easy as just looking at a person then crime would be nonexistent. As the old adage goes "Actions speak louder.....".
    Stay alert, stay alive.....
    http://www.odmp.org/

Defensor Fortis
    Tutor et Ultor
    Aduentes Fortuna Juvat
    Libertatem Defendimus

VIP Member
    Tattoo's and piercings? Ya'll been looking for this guy right?

Actually it's a good example. I wouldn't take much of a glance at the guy on the left. Now the guy on the right I would, because he's gone to an "extreme" that I don't usually see. My second look isn't based on whether he's a good or bad guy, rich or poor, smart or dumb, etc. I'm just looking because it's unique, same thing if someone weighed 1000 lbs. I don't have an opinion about his personality because I don't know him. My initial thought would be that, "it's not my thing to look like that".

Patterns and profiles do exist but not 100% accurate. Ted Bundy was a nice looking, clean cut guy.
    Attached Images
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    The fact is that most people/society will initially judge you by your appearance.
    Or even if they do not outright "judge" you - they will notice and pay extra attention to you if you do not fit into their notion of what is common, typical, usual or "normal" for that environment.
    It's human nature and it will never change.
    It may not be fair and you might not like it but, they will and always have since the dawn of Man.
    I am not saying that it's a good thing or a bad thing only that it's a reality.

I'm absolutely certain that even in prehistoric times if everybody in the clan is wearing Lion skins and you are an "unknown" and wander into the cave wearing a Leopard skin...the Neanderthals are going to take notice and quickly try to determine "Friend or Foe" - that would only be logical for them to do that.

That having been said...human beings of many cultures and races and origins have been adorning, altering, modifying and tattooing and decorating their bodies since the dawn of time.
    The earliest known tattoos date back to before recorded history.

My personal opinion is that people should look the way they want to look if that is the way they want to look.

Be aware of the fact that if your personal look strays too far away from the accepted "norm" it will affect things like your potential job opportunities.

AKA if you look like a zombie Goth and wear white face makeup with your eye sockets blackened and streaks of "blood" drawn on your face with red lipstick - you are probably not going to get that nursing job in the local hospital....and if you have a skull & crossbones tattooed on your neck and you like to wear a grim reaper cloak and walk around with a chainsaw...you can probably forget about getting very many babysitting jobs.

If that does not bother you then go for it but, don't expect people not to notice you.

My only real point being that people will at least quietly judge you until they know you...and it does not matter if you like it or not.
    They will.

Nope, Sorry ~ you are probably just not going to get that Dental Hygienist job no matter how qualified you might be.
    Understood, but being CHL, CCW, CPL, whatever your state calls them, we are held at a higher standard because we should know better from our training class. We should be able to put our prejudices aside and understand what the 'real' threat is and know it is not the guy wearing the punk rock costume just because he's wearing it or the homeless guy that hasn't showered in two weeks or even the inner city black kid who has his pants around his butt cheeks because all his friends think it looks cool. I understand people have their likes and dislikes as to what is acceptable appearences but to judge those looks as being a threat is not. Sorry, no way no how is anyone going to sell me on it. Because if you think about it, our appearance is just another form of freedom of expression for most of us, nothing more. By trying to surpress the way we look, or judging us on our looks thinking we will cause havoc more frequently than a person in a business suit is the same as the gun-grabbers thinking all CHL holders will open fire in a crowded movie theater. And we all know how stupid that is, right?
    It is to be observed that Right of Self-Defence, arises directly and immediately from the Care of our own Preservation, which Nature recommends to every one. . . , and that this right is so primary, that it cannot be denied on the basis that it is not "expressly set forth.

--- Hugo Grotius

they say you can't judge a book by its cover, but i say they put a picture on the front for a reason.

from a distance, i say its fine to profile for safety reasons. just don't go writing them off as automatic bad guys, be aware AND polite. some people will suprise you. i've met countless "thug" types at work that were some of the nicest guys i've met, and we've been robbed by a perfectly clean-cut and well spoken middle-aged gentleman.

marine rule #21 (which i'm sure has been quoted already in the multiple pages preceding this that i'm too lazy to read)

Be polite, be professional, and have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Actually, poodles are well know to be excellent watch/guard dogs... I guess you just have to know dogs.
    Yep, and agreed.

I would no more sleep on a poodle (standard or miniature) than I would a Dobie or any other highly protective guard demeanor dog.
    Which leads to my earlier point about appearances. A poodle clipped and wearing show stylized fur is no less dangerous when riled than Dobie may be, or for that matter a Poodle that is natural and has not been dressed up for show.
    More importantly is to know how to read dog language and understand how they 'speak' (bark). Further to know how to speak to them too by body language and positioning. Exact same applies to most other animals too be they feline, or canine, or whatever from elephants to apes to goats to birds and Joe Blow the road rager in the parking lot at Home Depot.

Generally it's not the breed.
    It's the animal itself singularly, it's environment, it's upbringing, it's handling, the handler, timing, and attitude at the moment.

- Janq is a huge lifelong dog nut and fancier of Akita
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Links