Tattoos, Percings and Other Profiling Techniques - Page 7

Tattoos, Percings and Other Profiling Techniques

This is a discussion on Tattoos, Percings and Other Profiling Techniques within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by SIXTO Profiling is fine, its nothing more than the accumulation of life experiences and drawing logical conclusions based on that... Those who ...

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread: Tattoos, Percings and Other Profiling Techniques

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Profiling is fine, its nothing more than the accumulation of life experiences and drawing logical conclusions based on that... Those who dress, decorate themselves or act in certain ways deserve the attention they are asking for.

You might be wrong, but you will be alive.
    I read 5 pages and quoted post #2 pretty as it pretty much sums it up for me. I personally don't know anyone who can't be profiled. The long haired guy with the tatts may get profiled and a bad opinion made of them but the short haired round guy with glasses gets profiled and then targeted as easy prey because of it. I don't see those guys complaining about it! Toughen up America. So many sensitive people these days.

Senior Member Array KevinDooley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cl00bie View Post
    I also understand that the big tattooed lug with the ponytail down his back may be the nicest guy in the world and maybe a minister in his local church,
    Hey! That's me! I'm tattooed, have a ponytail and piercings and I am a minister at my local church. Watch me all you want - I'm used to it, but that mugger over your shoulder might be worth a second glance too.

Quote Originally Posted by FN1910 View Post
    A vdery nice painting but I don't see anything really creative about it. When we were presenting my daughter's work for judging for the college scholarship competition I thought that she was really creative. She was, but there was a few there that really blew me away with both what they painted and what they said about what their paintings expressed.

If you have some more please post them. Working with my daughter and some of the art professors helped me to understand a lot of things about art that I had never considered before.
    Well, the definition of being creative is "to create, to bring into existence"
    That I made this from wood pigment and oil makes it evidence of my creativity.

Now I am guessing that you are actually talking about the quality of the work itself.
    Since your daughter wants to attend an art program I will explain something about the work to you.
    I am not going to try to get you to like it and I do not feel any defensiveness about this so I hope you will not "hear this in my tone" since we are typing back and forth. I just honestly want to answer your question. In general, Art and Aesthetics is one of the most misunderstood fields of study in present day education and it is too much of a task and too off topic to go through even a small amount of the reasons why. If your daughter undergoes this endeavor at one of the better Art Colleges or Universities you will be a party to much of this and the amazing amount of work that she will have to undertake to even begin to truly understand this.
    There is a resurgence of naturalistic painting, "neo-classicism" being one of the names given to this kind of work. The quality of the surface and the glass like transparency and translucence of my painting cannot show up through photo's, especially snapshots like the one I put up to speak to the statement:

"If I were interviewing someone for a job in a leadershipor creative role and they were tattooed I would think twice about their qualifications. However if it was an assembly line jod then tattoos would be fine."

I am a Professor of Art and Design. If your daughter uses any high quality acrylic paints in school she will run a high probability of using paints that I am have been part of the development of, specifically because of my expertise in the glazing and painting techniques that I "created" and are part of this painting.

I am not trying to brag or be defensive, just informative. I honestly wanted to show that stereotypes and prejudice can be way off base.

I have worked as an Art Director and illustrator as well. By the way, that painting is in a private collection and is worth somewhere in the five figures.

I hope you daughter the best in her endeavors, it is a hard road to make a living in the Arts, but it is a great life.

It's funny, because "gun nuts" can be profiled just as much as a bad guy. It doesn't matter what walk of life you are in, everybody gets profiled whether it's for a criminal, biker, businessman, teacher, weight lifter....we often think that people's outward expressions or appearances are a direct reflection of who they are inside; after all, this outer exterior is what the individual WANTS to look like; it's exactly how he/she wants to be seen. So however you take that is what keeps the whole topic so subjective.

I think we're the last people someone would think would carry a gun on our person. Just like the minister above, visually speaking, is probably the last person anyone would guess was a minister. It's just not the "commonplace" of "look" of that profession. It all comes down to what we're used to seeing. But at the same time, stereotypes exist because of common and consistent trends seen. So, in a sense, there's nothing "wrong" with profiling as there is much truth to the fear that someone feels simply by looking at someone.

I've mentioned it a couple times that we work in the schools, where pretty much everyone is anti-gun (here in Eugene, OR). To a lot of people here, guys with guns (or gals with guns) are out of control republicans who are "gun happy" and paranoid and dangerous. Ridiculous, believe me I know, but I'm saying that the profiling absolutely goes both ways and all ways. It just completely depends on who you are.

So yeah, we may profile bad guys, but pro-gunners are profiled everyday as trigger-happy gun maniacs -- Personally, I really, really try not to profile -- as I said, I think we're the last folks people would expect to carry a firearm. I think every day that we likely look like a typical happy couple who is completely oblivious to danger and that a BG might target -- what would people honestly think of the "kids" sitting below on the beach...
    Attached Images
    It is utterly illogical to believe that passing laws to reduce gun violence will be successful when those who are commiting the gun violence do not obey the law.

OK, if Ram Rod can post his mug...I'll do it just this once...
    My iMac takes pic's...let's see...
    Here we go...

Wallet size are available upon request...

Stay armed...stay away from cameras....stay safe!

Yep, there's lots of miles on this mug...my Kimber is 6 inches from my right hand...my wife of 37 years is 20 feet away...life is good...I love FL!
    Attached Images
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by KevinDooley View Post
    Hey! That's me! I'm tattooed, have a ponytail and piercings and I am a minister at my local church. Watch me all you want - I'm used to it, but that mugger over your shoulder might be worth a second glance too.
    But the mugger will be really surprised when the tattooed, ponytailed, pierced guy comes to my defense, right?
    -Tony

"Those who beat their guns into plowshares will plow for those who didn't." -- Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by mr.stuart View Post
    My experience has taught me that many 'clean cut' people are actually trying to hide who they really are.If I profile anything,it is behaviour and body language.Look at sex offenders mugshots.Many are average looking.Murderers?Many are average looking.I remember many years ago,an old guy waiting in my office for a mutual friend.The old guy was dirty and a real grouch.He actually fell asleep while waiting.I found out later he was worth over 60 million.Assumption based only on appearance can be bad.
    If you saw me coming across the street, some of you guys would probably draw on me... LOL (And I never even got a speeding ticket), probably some of you would think I was a 'gangbanger' too, te he

One time I was leaving the school and there was an pretty asian student walking ahead of me, at 11pm at night.... we both were walking to our cars in the same area but guess what she did, she RAN from me, and at the time I felt "offended" but now when I think about it, she was watching out for her safety WHICH IS THE SMART THING TO DO... most people would be oblivious.

Either way, I personally watch for people's behavior over how the look... people who loiter out in the parking lot, especially at night etc are strong signs of people who are up to no good.

Senior Member Array KevinDooley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cl00bie View Post
    But the mugger will be really surprised when the tattooed, ponytailed, pierced guy comes to my defense, right?
    You'd better believe it!

retsupt99----um, ah--say, did you know your shirt was on backwards? :)

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    retsupt99----um, ah--say, did you know your shirt was on backwards? :)
    My wife dresses me...(my camera doesn't like me...)
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; May 27th, 2008 at 07:26 AM.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    My wife dresses me...
    Is she dyslexic?
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Is she dyslexic?
    You're still up?

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

LOL! Thanks for the pics those who posted. Now maybe others won't profile us for our usernames alone.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    You're still up?
    Yeah, cant sleep.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I used to be soo judgemental until I met my wife and then her daughter who is a guitar playing punk rocker who has tats and piercings and has cut a few cd's and played with the Misfits(do your own research)well, this girl and her band are some of the nicest young, respectful people I know. Her BF has a regular job and she does as well. They have been great to me and I am proud to have her as a step daughter. I have no piercins or tats but have changed my way of thinking. Just took my own kids to a 3 Doors Down concert and we stood out like a sore thumb. Not from the TDD fans but from the other bands like seether and theory of a deadman but it was a good crowd and better than some crowds that I have been in during a Hank Jr concert. As I grow older I grow wiser.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Sponsored Links