Wifes important question. Need help with the answer. ???

This is a discussion on Wifes important question. Need help with the answer. ??? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Not sure if I understand the question correctly but I'll give it a try. Make sure everyone in the house knows how to use the ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wifes important question. Need help with the answer. ???

Not sure if I understand the question correctly but I'll give it a try. Make sure everyone in the house knows how to use the firearms safely. Take classes together etc.. A big +1 on the family pow wow. Also, Make sure the kids give you a heads up phone call when they are a few minutes away. You're not trying to control their lives (as we all accused our parents of) but taking extra steps to keep everyone safe. Involve the kids with using some of their suggestions on home safety. Then work from there. Hope this helps.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member

Motion sensing spot light?

Not sure I understand the layout, fully.

All Bedrooms on second floor? Wife in parent's bedroom? Someone coming up the stairs?

As others have said: id, sign, countersign.

ID: (Child) Mom I'm home.
    Sign: (Wife) That you {husband's name}
    Countersign: (Child) No it's me {dog's name, cat's name pre-established totally false name}

Also, you might want to install a very-bright motion-sensing spot light.

Let's assume you have normal lights in the long enclosed staircase, which have a two-way switch -- i.e., you can turn them on from the top and bottom. Also, assume that there is a landing, hallway, etc at the top.

If so, I'd install a very-bright motion-sensing spot light (the type that also senses light, so as not to burn during the daylight) just below the top of the stairs, pointing down.

OK, kids come home. They turn on the normal lights in the long enclosed staircase. The spot light does not come on because it senses light being on. Go through the id, sign, countersign. All is well.

OTOH, a BG tries sneaking up the dark stairs. The light comes on blinding him. Your wife comes out behind the brightly illuminated area and can ID whoever it is. She'd not be back-lighted and if shots follow she'd have a good chance of good target acquisition.

Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    Not sure I understand the layout, fully.

All Bedrooms on second floor? Wife in parent's bedroom? Someone coming up the stairs?

As others have said: id, sign, countersign.

ID: (Child) Mom I'm home.
    Sign: (Wife) That you {husband's name}
    Countersign: (Child) No it's me {dog's name, cat's name pre-established totally false name}

Also, you might want to install a very-bright motion-sensing spot light.

Let's assume you have normal lights in the long enclosed staircase, which have a two-way switch -- i.e., you can turn them on from the top and bottom. Also, assume that there is a landing, hallway, etc at the top.

If so, I'd install a very-bright motion-sensing spot light (the type that also senses light, so as not to burn during the daylight) just below the top of the stairs, pointing down.

OK, kids come home. They turn on the normal lights in the long enclosed staircase. The spot light does not come on because it senses light being on. Go through the id, sign, countersign. All is well.

OTOH, a BG tries sneaking up the dark stairs. The light comes on blinding him. Your wife comes out behind the brightly illuminated area and can ID whoever it is. She'd not be back-lighted and if shots follow she'd have a good chance of good target acquisition.

Lots of good comments but I really like the light idea.
    Facts are negotiable, perceptions are not.

VIP Member
    Knowledge overcomes fear... get her some training!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

why not just put a phone on the bedside table (or wherever) and have them call before they enter the house ("hey mom, I'm home and I'm about to come in").
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by realitycramp View Post
    On thought number four I would agree but laws do not. My kids can both shoot well but the state says they have to be 18 to have ready access to a firearm. Otherwise it is child endangerment. ...
    Apologies to all. My thinking was 'BG endangerment", and I assume that the family wouldn't arm a kid who couldn't handle it. I forgot about "mom and dad endangerment" by the legal system. I withdraw suggestion #4.

You see, we're in Appalachia...

As someone who remembers fondly sneaking into the house obscenely late on a regular basis in hopes of not waking up mom or dad, it spooks the hell out of me to think that there is even the slightest possibility that anyone might shoot their kid because junior stayed out too late and didn't want to wake you up.

#1 - know what you're shooting at!!! If you or your wife hears someone coming up the stairs and you're not sure who it is, say or yell "Who is that?" If you get a familiar sounding "Its just me.", you can go back to sleep. If there is no answer, you can start to worry and reach for the gun. Don't rely on a 13 year old or a 16 year old or even a 25 year old to announce themselves - especially if it is very late. In their mind, they've got a 50 / 50 chance of getting into bed without waking you up and getting grilled over where they've been and with whom.
    "I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... but they've always worked for me." - H.S.T.

Quote Originally Posted by Paymeister View Post

You see, we're in Appalachia...
    Now that is funny.

Don't keep one in the tube. Racking the slide is going to make identifying the unknown person much easier.

Quote Originally Posted by scratchy wilson View Post
    Dog?
    Good answer.

Bottom line, you are gonna have to go over this with your kids so they know that they will have to id themselves. Call ahead of time(respect), Sign(door entry), countersign(Good Night). Practice is the only way that your wife will get comfortable with this. Already working on this with my daughter. Unfortunately, once of legal age, my daughter will probably be the one defending my wife. I have an anti. Still praying she comes over to the light side. Practice, Practice.
    Life is too short, stop to smell the roses and don't let anyone take it away from you!

Quote Originally Posted by fernset View Post
    Good answer.
    Insane freakin allergies. Bane of a lifetime. Love dogs just can't touch them.

Quote Originally Posted by DarinD View Post
    Bottom line, you are gonna have to go over this with your kids so they know that they will have to id themselves. Call ahead of time(respect), Sign(door entry), countersign(Good Night). Practice is the only way that your wife will get comfortable with this. Already working on this with my daughter. Unfortunately, once of legal age, my daughter will probably be the one defending my wife. I have an anti. Still praying she comes over to the light side. Practice, Practice.
    What scared me into writing this thread was that she made a comment regarding taking a chance with the BG instead of maybe shooting one of the kids. I immediately jumped on you shouldn't shoot what you can't see anyway. So trying to get her to a place where she will take solid comfortable action.

How comfortable is she with shooting? Maybe it is just that she needs more time on the range. I have a friend that practices all the time with different scenarios and code words. He is anal about his family and home being protected although his wife is totally on board with shooting and self defense.
    Life is too short, stop to smell the roses and don't let anyone take it away from you!

Quote Originally Posted by DarinD View Post
    How comfortable is she with shooting? Maybe it is just that she needs more time on the range. I have a friend that practices all the time with different scenarios and code words. He is anal about his family and home being protected although his wife is totally on board with shooting and self defense.
    She is an accurate shooter and is comfortable with the various guns we have. She is a very calculating person and was realizing she will not have the time she would wish for in a crisis. I plan on getting a "night light" as proposed above. I think that will help. We will also be running some drills and getting the kids in a habit of announcing themselves as suggested. Very happy with the results of this brainstorming. Very valuable.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links