Defensive Carry banner

Non permit holder travelling across state lines

2K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  Ridgeline 
#1 ·
My wife does not have her permit yet. She's traveling with her parents next week to Minn. (driving) with her parents. I can't make the trip due to business. She is going to be staying in a hotel by herself due to space limitations at the relatives place.
I DO NOT want her staying in a hotel that far away without some kind of protection. She's very comfortable with her Glock, and I want her to take it with her.
How can she legally take it from TN through a IL, stopping in WI and ending up in Minn. and not get in hot water if they are stopped and/or searched.
She's already consficated my ASP baton for the trip...but that isn't good enough.
Would a shotgun be easier to answer for than a pistol, esp. in Il?

#2 ·
Keep it locked in the trunk of the vehicle until destination is reached. Otherwise it'll be a risk of unlawful carry.

The question is, how likely is she to be pulled over? Is she a speeder by nature? Does she drive reckless by nature? Consider the possibilities.

#4 ·
She's traveling in a LARGE pickup truck with her parents, most likely she won't be in the drivers seat (they're pulling a trailer)
I'd guess her luggage would be in either the covered/locked bed or in the trailer.
If I pack it in a hard case, spare mags in another case she SHOULD be ok.

I'd say they aren't really going to be LEO targets, but there's no telling what they might run into : DUI checkpoints, license checkpoints, bored state troopers looking for something to do.

#9 ·
+1 for LovemyGlock ... why is it where ever we "have" to go usually involves liberal, antigun situations?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.