Carry as a chaperon?

This is a discussion on Carry as a chaperon? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by JerryDonlan It is illegal in PA to carry a loaded gun into a school. I believe the only exception is a preapproved ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Carry as a chaperon?

Quote Originally Posted by JerryDonlan View Post
    It is illegal in PA to carry a loaded gun into a school. I believe the only exception is a preapproved show and tell session.
    Actually the statute states "any other legal purpose". To me, self-defense is a legal purpose. I don't think I would OC, but concealed means concealed.

2. Remove Ads

In similar circumstances I would also take spray, as I might be able end a threat without shooting. Not sure of your state laws on spray, though.

I know what I would do if it was my child.

I do not take firearms on my person (and I work at a school) when going places outside of school...i.e., prom, etc., but I do have a firearm in the car (not on school property), and OC spray and my Leek on my person.
    Know the laws, and carefully follow them...don't want to lose that CCW permit.

Stay armed...but not in a FL school...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

What about if you were not an official chaperone, but just a parent who happened to transport their own child to the off-site event?

If you live in NY, Do you REALLY have to ask ?

Meaning you live in a state with some of the most restrictive gun laws
    and an atmosphere of Anti-Gun Paranoia

Even in Gun Tolerant states the few places you can't carry
    involves school grounds and activities

What is the result if someone finds out ?

You may be totally confident you that no-one will notice

If that is the case, Go ahead you are making a decision
    based on what you evaluate the situation to be

But the Cost vs Benefit balance seems ( to me ) to be in favor of leaving it home

VIP Member
    1 check your state laws concerning the field trip destination
    2 check your state laws concerning carrying while attending as a chaperone

if it was me and I wasn't riding the school bus with them, destination was legal, etc....then it wouldn't be like any other day....armed as usual
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffsmith View Post
    ...But the Cost vs Benefit balance seems ( to me ) to be in favor of leaving it home
    And it is SO embarassing when they haul the chaperone off to jail ... though I suppose, afterwards, the kids would have a great topic for an essay assignment.

+1 on the pepper spray: it may be illegal, too, but "Sorry, I didn't know" would carry you further than if you had a concealed pistol. Check your laws, pray, and wing it.

Quote Originally Posted by KenInColo View Post
    Be careful. With schools being gun free zones, in most states, many authorities interpret this to mean that the gun free zone extends to any venue where an official school function is being held i.e. a school prom being held at a public restaurant or a class trip to the zoo where CC is normally OK.

Obviously, we know that the more carrying parent/chaperons there are present, the safer the children are gonna be but unfortunately, most school administrators feel the just the opposite.

Exactly. Our school system claims a gun free zone not only IN the school (which is against OR law) but also outside school at any school function.

If it were me, I probably would not carry if I had to ride the bus with the kids. If it makes you feel better, there's safety in numbers. I know, I know! If I was taking the child myself however, then I would carry.
    It is utterly illogical to believe that passing laws to reduce gun violence will be successful when those who are commiting the gun violence do not obey the law.

As far as school function if there is a school field trip to a museum that does not make it illegal for anybody to carry in the museum,unless the museum itself is posted legally,or the school rents the premises for an event
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Senior Member Array hudsonvalley's Avatar
    Back from the hike....went well. Two cop 'fathers' on the trip. Neither was packing.....some snakes around, harmless except for some copperheads and rattlers indigenous to NY. Lucky we saw neither. 22 magnum shotshell out of my 351 PD would of been handy in case though....thanks all who replied.
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
    ---Ronald Reagan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links