Carry as a chaperon?

Carry as a chaperon?

This is a discussion on Carry as a chaperon? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Going on a school trip with my 4th grader......do I take at least Mr. Berretta 21. In my pocket and no one knows....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Member Array hudsonvalley's Avatar

Carry as a chaperon?

Going on a school trip with my 4th grader......do I take at least Mr. Berretta 21. In my pocket and no one knows.
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
    ---Ronald Reagan

This is a tricky one, I would say that if you are going to the school and leaving from there and riding on the bus then no. But if you are meeting them at the location you can at least keep it in the car.

I would make sure to check with your state's laws regarding this, if there is a way then I would. As a chaperon then I think you have the obligation to protect the kids' lives, even with your own if necessary, not just keep them off of the T-Rex exhibit.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

I do not believe you can ride in any vehicle transporting kids to and from a school event while carrying,
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Are we all starting to see how ridiculous it is making laws against the criminals when it's the law abiding that suffer?
    I wasn't going to enter the school building but I am going to ride a school bus to a field trip (outside trip, woods, hike thing).
    ---Ronald Reagan

VIP Member
    Actually you might want to check closely. Since it is a school function you may be prohibited from carrying.

my advice: check your state laws so you can make an informed decision one way or another.

my opinion: concealed means concealed.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paco View Post
    I would make sure to check with your state's laws regarding this....
    Carrying on such a trip in Tennessee would certainly be illegal, but your state law is the one to consult. I will be very surprised if carry in this instance is legal, permit or not.

Carry gun to school

It is illegal in PA to carry a loaded gun into a school. I believe the only exception is a preapproved show and tell session.

Administrator
    Roll the dice on this one...
    "Just blame Sixto"

Any metal detectors at the destination?

Quote Originally Posted by grady View Post
    Any metal detectors at the destination?
    It's a field trip into a preserve...but I'd feel better if I had at least something with me.
    ---Ronald Reagan

Be careful. With schools being gun free zones, in most states, many authorities interpret this to mean that the gun free zone extends to any venue where an official school function is being held i.e. a school prom being held at a public restaurant or a class trip to the zoo where CC is normally OK.

Obviously, we know that the more carrying parent/chaperons there are present, the safer the children are gonna be but unfortunately, most school administrators feel the just the opposite.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by KenInColo View Post
    Be careful. With schools being gun free zones, in most states, many authorities interpret this to mean that the gun free zone extends to any venue where an official school function is being held i.e. a school prom being held at a public restaurant or a class trip to the zoo where CC is normally OK.

Obviously, we know that the more carrying parent/chaperons there are present, the safer the children are gonna be but unfortunately, most school administrators feel the just the opposite.

"victim disarmament zone" -- "target rich environment" -- "happy sheeple zone"

But the suggestion to find out what law in your state and perhaps even county is. Then find out, even if it is legal, what would the repercussions be on your child be if you were made. Suspension, expulsion, worse. Remember, anything to do with schools and kids is guilty by media character assassination, innuendo and general media bias.

Personally, I might go with something I know won't print. Or if I weighed the factors and decided I couldn't carry, I would be thinking strongly about not chaperoning. What would be worse than being there DISARMED and having something happen. I don't think I could live with that. Of course there is a flip side to that.

It is a very complex issue.

Her teacher? BIG tree hugger......
    ---Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by hudsonvalley View Post
    Her teacher? BIG tree hugger......
    In that case you should carry, she might be the kind to try to understand the plight of a would be BG and try to talk him down by blaming his Mom and Dad for not nursing him more and playing catch more; instead of guarding the children with her own body.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links