Bad Neighborhood Profiling

This is a discussion on Bad Neighborhood Profiling within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; YouTube - Hoodstar Mag Goes to Skid Row Skid Row and nothing but able bodied bums smoking crack cocain and loitering... that's a straight up ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bad Neighborhood Profiling

Skid Row

YouTube - Hoodstar Mag Goes to Skid Row

Skid Row and nothing but able bodied bums smoking crack cocain and loitering... that's a straight up ghetto right there, I wander who would set up a business in a place like that? Looks like a concrete jungle.

One guy made a documentory of Skid Row with interviews of the s and there were reports of homeless women and children getting gang raped over and over on the streets... what kind of person has their children homeless on the streets with them?
    YouTube - Skid Row

YouTube - Homeless in Los Angeles: Welcome to our backyard

Professional doc on skid row, the auther believes the solution is simply to throw them money and housing. Think about it, able bodied people who get money and housing, where as if you are working a minimum wage job and can barely afford gas, tuff luck... what message does this send? Being lazy, able bodied bum actually pays, depending on where you live though.
    YouTube - GOOD Magazine: Skid Row Part 1: Introduction

2. Remove Ads

Pawn shops, check cashing stores, and autobody and mechanic shops mixed amongst residential housing outside of industrial parks.

If I see one of the three I look around for more.
    If I see a combo of 2 in 3 then to me the block/zone is suspect.
    If I see a full trifecta then I know I'm in a 'hood be it urban, suburban, or rural.

- Janq

P.S. - Existence of a strip club or a church with more weed than grass for a lawn or a chain link fence surrounding it's perimeter are on their own equal to a score of two of three in my book.
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Pawn shops, check cashing stores, and autobody and mechanic shops mixed amongst residential housing outside of industrial parks.

If I see one of the three I look around for more.
    If I see a combo of 2 in 3 then to me the block/zone is suspect.
    If I see a full trifecta then I know I'm in a 'hood be it urban, suburban, or rural.

- Janq

P.S. - Existence of a strip club or a church with more weed than grass for a lawn or a chain link fence surrounding it's perimeter are on their own equal to a score of two of three in my book.
    Suburban "hoods" are becoming more common these days...especially in Metro Atlanta.

Bars on the windows of stop and rob stores as well as pawn and check cashing businesses. Also bars on the decks of first floor apartments. I have said it would be nice if you could get some kind of "Here is the Bad Part of Town" road map but noting like that exists to my knowledge. I do keep an eye out for what the local gangs and their signs are.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Where I live, there's actually only really one part of town you avoid and it has a name and everyone uses that name and knows what goes on there. In addition to many already mentioned here, it has the following attributes.

- A street named after Martin Luther King Jr.
    - Chipping, dull paint on old, wooden houses.
    - People sitting on front porches
    - unkept yards
    - public parks - there are almost no public parks anywhere in my town but in bad neighborhoods. I guess people with jobs don't use public parks that much...
    - no signs telling you what development you are entering. Otherwise, nearly every house in my entire county is in a development. Many, if not most, of these are gated.
    - poorly maintained public roads
    - police department "substations"
    - shoes dangling from powerlines (much like dog urine, this is how some gangs "mark their territory")

Again, for me, this is a lot about situational awareness. You know your town, you should be able to tell when someplace just doesn't "feel" right. Also, all politically correct BS aside, we all know that certain neighborhoods that predominate with certain ethnic groups are more prone to gangs and crime than others. Unfortunate, but true. Keep your antennae up and stay safe.

Mel
    The Ethics of Liberty
    LewRockwell.com
    The Survival Podcast
    How long have we watered the Tree of Deceit with the blood of patriots?

Everyone should profile. Sure, it might be overkill, but you'll be safer.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Exhaustive list so far......

Only one I didn't see....

"Malcolm X Boulevard"

Good observation

Quote Originally Posted by agentmel View Post
    Where I live, there's actually only really one part of town you avoid and it has a name and everyone uses that name and knows what goes on there. In addition to many already mentioned here, it has the following attributes.

- A street named after Martin Luther King Jr.
    - Chipping, dull paint on old, wooden houses.
    - People sitting on front porches
    - unkept yards
    - public parks - there are almost no public parks anywhere in my town but in bad neighborhoods. I guess people with jobs don't use public parks that much...
    - no signs telling you what development you are entering. Otherwise, nearly every house in my entire county is in a development. Many, if not most, of these are gated.
    - poorly maintained public roads
    - shoes dangling from powerlines (much like dog urine, this is how some gangs "mark their territory")

Again, for me, this is a lot about situational awareness. You know your town, you should be able to tell when someplace just doesn't "feel" right. Also, all politically correct BS aside, we all know that certain neighborhoods that predominate with certain ethnic groups are more prone to gangs and crime than others. Unfortunate, but true. Keep your antennae up and stay safe.

Mel

I use to see some of these on the main road not far from where I use to live in Baltimore county... another thing to look for is the graffiti, all the gang members use it like a news paper as the police says.

Quote Originally Posted by Supertac45 View Post
    Everyone should profile. Sure, it might be overkill, but you'll be safer.

Like an 80 year old grand mother is gona hold you at gun point lol, but my uncle (who is a lawyer) thinks profiling is "over generalizing" and serves no purpose... I told him about the street walkers and drug pushers I saw on the street but he thinks they were simply taking a walk at 2-3am.

I just said a little prayer of thanks that I do not have to live is neighborhoods such as those described. I'm sure there are a great many good people who do have to live in them. They have my sympathy.

VIP Member
    Forgot some. When you come out of the rental office after paying your rent and the dude tosses a handful of what look to be credit and ATM cards in his trunk and says, "Nice day isn't it officer." You know you're in the wrong neighborhood.

When you are walking up to the entrance to the parking lot because your woman got her car stuck, and the two yutes that come out of the building yell, "Let's get out of here he's got an axe handle" and they run away quickly. You know you're in the wrong neighborhood. Well ok, I was chasing them, because I wanted their help to get the car out.

When you have a woman standing in the entrance to your building yelling some man's name and holding a baby that is "his". You know you're in the wrong neighborhood.

When you wake up one morning to crashing sounds and you look out into the foyer and see trash bags being tossed from above and left there. You know you're in the wrong neighborhood. That was after I reported them for storing it on their balcony because it was leaking onto my balcony.

When you come out and have to remove the really big nails that are propped up in your tire treads. You know you're in the wrong neighborhood.

When your car being vandalized becomes an almost weekly thing until you have the maintenance man on the business end of a 12 ga. You know you're in the wrong neighborhood.

Although after that I didn't have many issues in the neighborhood. They figured I was Chuck Norris or flat out insane. Either way I didn't care.

It should have been a clue when they told me that they were sorry that they didn't have any more units looking over the parking lot. Yep, I had the wrong neighborhood.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Not always that easy

Quote Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
    I just said a little prayer of thanks that I do not have to live is neighborhoods such as those described. I'm sure there are a great many good people who do have to live in them. ...
    When we bought our home, it was a nice suburban neighborhood, albeit with a large apartment complex adjacent. Within a few months, the police helicopters were overhead more nights than not - mostly the over the apartments, but sometimes for one of the stop-and-rob gas outlets a quarter of a mile away. A couple of years later, we got quite the shock when my wife answered the doorbell and some tattooed guy tries to walk right in - asking where his room was. It turns out that there's now a half-way house at the same number of the street behind us. The map he'd been given showed the "X" on our block. We had about four others come to the door, before they finally fixed the maps they were sending. A good neighborhood can go downhill very quickly if just a few of the wrong folks move in.

Recently checked a map of registered sexual predators. There are five within a half mile of my house. That's a must-check before buying another house - if I can ever afford to again. But it could change in a matter of weeks. Trouble is everywhere, really.

Now I carry even when working in the garage/shop.

Senior Member Array Sergeant Mac's Avatar
    All I know is that if I see a liquor store, a pawn shop, a dry cleaning shop and a massage parlor in the same block, I'm in a bad part of town...

(or there's a military base up the road a little ways)

Senior Moderator
    Little Rock, in the hood, not far from the fairgrounds...

Sneakers up in the wire...

The refrigerator,washer and dryer on the front porch, along with boxes of books to asorb and stop bullets when they whiz by...

old beat up cars on the side of the street with bullet holes in them...

dog houses on the front porch...by the front door...
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Dale241 View Post
    Now I carry even when working in the garage/shop.
    I would not even THINK of not being armed just going outside for a walk, putting out the trash etc... when you don't, especially when in or close to the "hood," that complacency can be fatal.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links