Bad Neighborhood Profiling

This is a discussion on Bad Neighborhood Profiling within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Since you have been talking about profiling people, I though I would bring up the topic of profiling bad neighborhoods. I figured that this might ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bad Neighborhood Profiling

Bad Neighborhood Profiling

Since you have been talking about profiling people, I though I would bring up the topic of profiling bad neighborhoods. I figured that this might be a concern for somebody who travels to other towns and wants to know whether he is in a good, or bad part of town.

Some things that I have noticed are prevalent in bad parts of town are that their are a lot of vehicles with expired tags, abandoned houses, and more people walking on the street then normal.

Also I can tell you from doing undercover narcotics work and other police work, that criminals tend to stay at Hotels that have outside access. This is where a lot of drug dealing, prostitution, crazy parties and other crimes are going to take place. It allows people to come and go without going through the hotel/security cameras.

These have been good indicators for me in the past. I would like to make this an art that I am very good at. I left out the obvious signs like graffiti and bullet proof glass at the gas station. Although a word on graffiti. Don't try and waist your time interpreting the graffiti, this is an art and not worth your time in my opinion. The fact that it is their means something. Don't be alarmed by the graffiti art, which is the stuff that looks like it was done by an artist, these are usually not gang related. Do be very alarmed when you see graffiti that has been crossed out, or spray painted over. This indicates that a rival gang is in the neighborhood, which means that you are really in a bad neighborhood.

Is their anything that you guys can contribute that will help me in this art of spotting bad neighborhoods. Comments? Questions?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    All the squad-cars on patrol have TWO LEO's in them and every stop you see has TWO or MORE squad-cars.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

VIP Member

A bit more serious

The amount and "nature" of litter is a good tell.

Another is how the people "cluster" and the amount (if any) of movement of individuals between clusters.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Administrator
    -people wandering around, milling about at the corners instead of moving with a purpose

-cars have wheels mounted that are worth more than the car itself, or are obviously larger than factory specs

-the ratio of abandoned and open store fronts is greater than 3/10

-bars on windows

- check cashing joints out number regular banks

-more fried fish/chicken stands per block than other eateries

-able bodied working age males hanging around on weekdays during normal work hours

-people pushing shopping carts blocks away from any store that has carts

- abandoned shopping carts

-a high ratio of vehicles with temporary license plates

-bus stops have people obviously not commuting to the office/work

-billboards or other advertisements for criminal attorneys or bondsmen

-an unusual amount of 10+ year or older luxury cars

-shopping choices consist of Arab mom and pop convenience stores, liquor stores or pawn shops.

I'll think of more, these were just off the top of my head.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Do be very alarmed when you see graffiti that has been crossed out, or spray painted over. This indicates that a rival gang is in the neighborhood, which means that you are really in a bad neighborhood.
    Thanks for the heads-up, that is something to watch for.

Growing up I thought everyone had burglar bars on their windows. It wasn't until I had to walk through a metal detector in High School that I realized something was wrong, not to mention the surrounding area with worn out and dilapidated fences, empty bottles of OE or Mickey's and the trap houses at the end of the block.

THAT is why I am raising my family in middle class suburbia, it isn't perfect but the odds are in my favor.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

MY first clue is the bars on the windows...either on homes, business establishments...and any bars on the police station...drive quickly away...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Boys in da hood

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    -people wandering around, milling about at the corners instead of moving with a purpose

-cars have wheels mounted that are worth more than the car itself, or are obviously larger than factory specs

-the ratio of abandoned and open store fronts is greater than 3/10

-bars on windows

- check cashing joints out number regular banks

-more fried fish/chicken stands per block than other eateries

-able bodied working age males hanging around on weekdays during normal work hours

-people pushing shopping carts blocks away from any store that has carts

- abandoned shopping carts

-a high ratio of vehicles with temporary license plates

-bus stops have people obviously not commuting to the office/work

-billboards or other advertisements for criminal attorneys or bondsmen

-an unusual amount of 10+ year or older luxury cars

-shopping choices consist of Arab mom and pop convenience stores, liquor stores or pawn shops.

I'll think of more, these were just off the top of my head.
    That be the hood right there... I Jamaica, even in upper class homes you will see grills and bars, but if you see it in the States, that's a sign of a bad neighborhood (high home invasions)... same goes for seeing a high number of working aged people loitering (high unemployment), guys on the corner all day (drug dealers), women on corner all day (hookers), people drying clothing outside of yard (cant afford drier), driving very old rusty cars, LOADS of bail bond ads, ads for finding baby daddy, people using food stamps at store... a lot of abandoned houses, badly kept lawns and yards, homelessness.... there are a lot of signs, especially frequently hearing gun shots and police patrols.

As sad as it is, in places where it's almost impossible to get a CCW, as in Maryland, I personally know people who carry WHEN they have to go to the "hood" Statistically speaking though, there is even MORE REASONS to be LEGALLY carrying in 'da hood' because there is a greater chance of violent crime happening there... stupid politicians don't want people to protect themselves because they appeal to the lowest common denominator... the people.

One time I had to drive around my cuz who was looking for a house in the States, we found our selves in the "hood" and I know where we were due to seeing the conditions of the front yards, the abandoned cars, high about of young males loitering etc.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    MY first clue is the bars on the windows...either on homes, business establishments...and any bars on the police station...drive quickly away...
    And any place with a sign telling people NOT TO CRAP ON STEPS... the worst place I ever had to drive through had that sign, no joke... we were going around parts of Baltimore looking at a potential school for my brother, and we got word about how there were loads of crack dealers outside, nothing but felons, ex cons, street walkers, bails bond men etc... the lowest of the low in sociaty were there like flies on poop.

Scariest place I ever say in the States... "bad areas" in Jamaica is worst though, there are places so bad that not even the police will touch it unless they got an ARMORED car and the military.

Some things that I have noticed are prevalent in bad parts of town are that their are a lot of vehicles with expired tags, abandoned houses, and more people walking on the street then normal.
    A friend of mine recently commented on this phenomenon, and attributed it to people being on crack. Basically, he said that people on crack cannot stay still, and thus, they must go outside and wander around. It's like a zombie movie.
    Yes, the world has gotten smaller, but it will always be too big to be ruled by unelected bureaucrats.

Rehab centers...

Quote Originally Posted by The Arverni View Post
    A friend of mine recently commented on this phenomenon, and attributed it to people being on crack. Basically, he said that people on crack cannot stay still, and thus, they must go outside and wander around. It's like a zombie movie.
    Rehab centers are another thing to look for... it's usually close or in "da hood."

The idiot politicians in Maryland wanted to actually put the rehab centers for junkies IN RESIDENTIAL areas, because he never wanted the druggies to make the effort to get their, instead, he wanted them in people's yards... can you believe it?

It ought to be pretty easy to spot a bad neighborhood without knowing all the LEO-insider stuff. If an area is generally run down, not kept up, keep moving. Simple things like condition of house paint, etc...are the yards mowed and weeds under control? Having been in just about every area of Detroit, there are some nice areas (3-4 blocks square) surrounded by slums and some of the worst hoods in the country. I wouldn't want to live any closer than I do....and its well on the fringe of the burbs. Another thing that is fairly common, is that the closer you get to the center of a city, the worse it gets.

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Man, in my "hood" thats about every other redneck driving his truck.

Another good sign that you made a wrong turn into a bad neighborhood is when you realize it and turn into a driveway to turn around, and about 6 gang bangers suddenly appear on the front porch and start to come down to "greet" you.
    Last edited by Captain Crunch; May 27th, 2008 at 12:27 AM. Reason: Fixed quote tags.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Administrator
    Here is an interesting side note about the "hood"... you know just before or after it rains, the air gets the really fresh, clean smell to it?

In the really bad areas I've spent time in, this doesn't happen. It smells like a mixture of motor oil and urine... just a little thing I've noticed.

- you don't see people out walking their normal dogs, its always a pitbull.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I think that when you are really in the hood, you know it, because of things that we have just discussed. However there is are places that look nice, but when given a deeper look, such as expired tags, it tells a different story.

Maybe you notice all of these things, you just have to look harder to see them?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links