Universal CCW License - Page 2

Universal CCW License

This is a discussion on Universal CCW License within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Michigan welcomes you with your Pennsylvania License as a PA. resident....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Universal CCW License

Michigan welcomes you with your Pennsylvania License as a PA. resident.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    Can't LEOs carry in all 50 states? Is it absolutely impractical to get LEO certification as a back door universal carry license? I think I've heard Ted Nugent say that he's a constable in Texas... Does that count?

New Hampshire is a good one too. I have a Va resident and the NH non-resident added quite a few southern states.

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
    While the Michigan license is a good one (by my count, I'm covered in 36 States with the recent addition of Nevada), unfortunately Michigan does not issue to non-residents (Michigan does honor all other States permits/licenses to residents of the issuing State though).
    Adding Nevada caused the Michigan permit to surpass Tennessee's permit by one state; when We add Washington, we'll be even again. Tennessee has a non-resident permit though. Apparently it is extremely difficult to obtain.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

I don't believe you can get a non-resident NY permit. MD technically does issue out-of-state permits but you must either be connected,an attorney,armored car driver,or LEO. I read a blog about a guy who tried for a MD resident permit. They made him jump through all kinds of hoops only to deny him at the end. So I guess get the trunk boxes ready for the trip.
    "The right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of every description, not such merely as are used by the militia, shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree..."
    Nunn v. State GA 1848

Quote Originally Posted by stanislaskasava View Post
    Can't LEOs carry in all 50 states? Is it absolutely impractical to get LEO certification as a back door universal carry license?
    Yes active LEO can carry in all 50 states retired LEO must qualify once a year with an instructor who is licensed thru DCJS for you home state. How does somebody get LEO certification?

I have Florida, Utah, New Hampshire, Penn, Connecticut, Maine. Would Love to cover all 50 states.

Quote Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
    Pretty sure AZ does too.... not that it matters in this case.
    As far as I know, AZ does not distinguish between residents and nonresidents.

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HITCH KING View Post
    Yes active LEO can carry in all 50 states retired LEO must qualify once a year with an instructor who is licensed thru DCJS for you home state. How does somebody get LEO certification?

I have Florida, Utah, New Hampshire, Penn, Connecticut, Maine. Would Love to cover all 50 states.
    Well I guess 'active' is the trick... from wiki:

In order to be covered as a "qualified law enforcement officer," a person must meet each and every one of the following criteria: He or she must be (1) "an employee of a governmental agency"; (2) "is authorized by law to engage in or supervise the prevention, detection, investigation, or prosecution of, or the incarceration of any person for, any violation of law"; (3) has "statutory powers of arrest"; (4) "is authorized by the agency to carry a firearm"; (5) "is not the subject of any disciplinary action by the agency"; (6) "meets standards, if any, established by the agency which require the employee to regularly qualify in the use of a firearm"; and (7) "is not prohibited by Federal law from receiving a firearm." In addition, the privilege conferred by the law applies only when the individual "is not under the influence of alcohol or another intoxicating or hallucinatory drug or substance.
    I am wondering what is the easiest way to meet all of the requirements? Some sort of reserve deputy?

I'm wondering same, toward say PT work.
    Park police?
    Beach police?

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    In my neck of the woods, "Reserve Deputy" is GIVEN out by the local sheriffs as a "thank you" for SIGNIFICANT campaign contributions, etc.

You get a badge, ID and a very pretty citation you can frame.

BUT:

- You DON'T Become a gov't employee,
    - You can't make arrests,
    - You don't attend any academy (required by state law prior to having powers of arrest),
    - The agency doesn't authorize you to carry a firearm.

To put it bluntly, this isn't the way to get "free passage" on CCW.

Even active Reserve POs get grief and may or may not be eligible under LEOSA . . . depends on agency and state laws.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links