Incident Questions - Page 2

Incident Questions

This is a discussion on Incident Questions within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A law suit could follow. Did this person work for another company? If so, the company could also file. I am surprised the indiviual did ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Incident Questions

A law suit could follow. Did this person work for another company? If so, the company could also file. I am surprised the indiviual did not call the police. I don't know the laws in your state, but you likely would have been charged with assault. If you for some reason you have it recorded, I would destroy it. This will be used against you and not for your benefit. Most likely this incident is over. But, in my opinion, this was a very poor judgement call. jmo

Quote Originally Posted by CCWINNC View Post
    ...Next item a gun safe or lock for the wifes pistol, and a holster for her to carry it on her person when it's not under lock and key .
    Fixed.

Had this been the case to start then you would have had no worries, concern, or potential for Johnny Law visitation drama.

Having a cam and recording of a person burglarizing your home, locating your wifes unsecured firearm, and turning to use it on your both or by chance you going into a gunfight and maybe might win possibly with none or minor injury is fubar.
    Why not avoid all of that mess and mitigate your risk potential by applying a simple fix safe practice and straightforward solution...

BTW leaving her pistol at moms house to be found unsecured and stolen by a burglar or worker or *.anyone is no better nor a blessing.

- Janq

P.S. - Flyboy if he did record the incident he cannot now after the fact destroy the 'evidence'. That too would be unlawful and if it's discovered that he has cameras tied into a recording device that action of evidence destruction could come back to bite him with evidence tampering and/or obstruction.
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Not a lawyer and states may vary on this but if you, in your home, want to walk around with a gun in your hand you should be able to do so. It's your home. If your hired person doesn't like it, they can leave at any time. As others have said, lock up your spare guns and for God's sake don't leave them lying around loaded. Now you did not say you were pointing your gun at him, you just confronted him, in your home, with your gun in hand.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by havegunjoe View Post
    Not a lawyer and states may vary on this but if you, in your home, want to walk around with a gun in your hand you should be able to do so. It's your home. If your hired person doesn't like it, they can leave at any time.
    That may be true, but pointing said gun at someone may still constitute assault unless there was sufficient reason to do so.....

Hmm....what if the nanny cam caught this person clearly trying to pick the lock of your safe? Perhaps he's not after guns, but other valuables. Safe has loaded firearms nonetheless. Wonder if that would change anything?

Ugh, I somewhat agree with havegunjoe. If someone is SECRETLY SNOOPING in your home, regardless if he was invited, I sort of perceive that as a threat, or criminal mischief at the least. What is he looking for? Perhaps he's been planning something...perhaps HE'S planting something? Not to get all paranoid, but the sanctity of the home is important and these types of things freak me out. I'm not sure if I'd be comfortable walking up empty handed saying: "Excuse me, caught you rummaging through our private things..." He may TURN aggressive at this point. Even if you pretend to walk in on him and play dumb. I seem to be in the minority on this one.
    It is utterly illogical to believe that passing laws to reduce gun violence will be successful when those who are commiting the gun violence do not obey the law.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach and Holly View Post
    Hmm....what if the nanny cam caught this person clearly trying to pick the lock of your safe? Perhaps he's not after guns, but other valuables. Safe has loaded firearms nonetheless. Wonder if that would change anything?
    Your belief is the predicator of risk to life. If you know a BG accessing a certain room/drawer/whatever will increase your chances of being killed or maimed, you (generally) do not have to ask the BG if they, "really, REALLY mean to go there."

Quote Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
    That may be true, but pointing said gun at someone may still constitute assault unless there was sufficient reason to do so.....
    Even in some locales and states not pointing it at him but just having a firearm in hand whilst making demands to leave or even saying nothing at all could be taken by the other as threatening and supported by law as a threatening act even as he was inside his own home.
    Similar if you push a person out of your home or punch them in the nose on your property does not inviolate the fact that you assaulted them, in many if not most states.

The deal would be different if he could say he had been walking around his home prior and at the time of allowing the worker entry to his home, and that the firearm was holstered or in hand for some other purpose say he was out in the backyard shooting clays or repairing it.
    But by reaping the OP on the face of things that does not come off to be the case and his words work against him as having been employed for purpose of threatening action toward having the person leave the area immediately, even as he was in a wrong area no doubt with intent to do wrong things.
    If asked by the cops why did you employ and display lethal force tools and he replies oh because I thought he might get to _my_ improperly stored and unsecured firearm (to which he did not) then yeah the hole he's dug gets even deeper by his own admission of 'fact'.

In general avoidance is so much easier and cheaper than repair.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post

In general avoidance is so much easier and cheaper than repair.

- Janq
    In nearly everything......

Quote Originally Posted by CCWINNC View Post
    Need some advice here.

Synopsis: A person whom you hired to do work in your house is caught via nanny cam snooping through your belongings. Action: you confront the person with weapon drawn. Due to the location that they are snooping contains a weapon and you are not sure if the person now has control of said weapon. You order the person out of the residence. Does the offender have the ability to file assault charges?
    If you are unsure if the person has taken control of the weapon, why order them out of the house where they can leave with said weapon if they do have it? OMO.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links