Initial interview questions for legal counsel?

This is a discussion on Initial interview questions for legal counsel? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; (Mods: Please feel free to move this post if it is in the wrong place)I am trying to establish myself with a local attorney so ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Initial interview questions for legal counsel?

Initial interview questions for legal counsel?

(Mods: Please feel free to move this post if it is in the wrong place)I am trying to establish myself with a local attorney so that I will have someone available if the need arises (self-defense shooting, etc.). I have a few choices and would like to talk to each to see which is the best "fit"'. What questions should I ask? Would it be odd to just tell them I am looking to have someone on speed dial "just in case"? Thanks for the input.
    -LP-
    "If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - The Dalai Lama (May 15, 2001, The Seattle Times)

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    It depends on how much money your willing to spend. (In answer to the speed dial). Lawyers general charge by the minute. Ask if they are members here or the NRA?
    Last edited by Reborn; May 27th, 2008 at 01:24 PM. Reason: not a complete answer
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

The NRA and FOP have a legal defense insurance you can take out.

Unless you have him on retainer I’d do the insurance instead, because when you need that attorney the most, he may be unavailable, or he may not be able to attend a meeting that you need representation at.

With group coverage, they will have a list of attorneys, who can represent you.

It depends on what you need. Do you just want a criminal attorney? I don't have one... but I do have an attorney on retainer via my family. His background is in contract law and he advises us on civil issues and is also available to represent us in front of the police/prosecutor until he can refer us to the most appropriate criminal attorney for our specific situation. It sounds nice to have a criminal attorney on retainer, but if you really want to get your money's worth... you're far more likely to need someone to review a rental contract, lease, car loan, menacing letter from your homeowners association, etc.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Quote Originally Posted by matiki View Post
    It depends on what you need. Do you just want a criminal attorney? I don't have one... but I do have an attorney on retainer via my family. His background is in contract law and he advises us on civil issues and is also available to represent us in front of the police/prosecutor until he can refer us to the most appropriate criminal attorney for our specific situation. It sounds nice to have a criminal attorney on retainer, but if you really want to get your money's worth... you're far more likely to need someone to review a rental contract, lease, car loan, menacing letter from your homeowners association, etc.
    That's a good idea. I'll have to check with some of the civil/business law attorneys I've talked with in the past and see if any of them would be agreeable to be a sort of "first responder" until referral to a criminal attorney. Thanks for the advice.
    -LP-
    "If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - The Dalai Lama (May 15, 2001, The Seattle Times)

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Pre-Paid Legal Services, Inc. is a good system.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

IIRC, any attorney is obligated to refer you the the best legal counsel, if the case is outside his area, i.e. criminal charges. With that said, I have a lawyer's number in my Daytimer that teaches classes on aftermath of a self defense situation. Even if out of state, the lawyer that did you will can refer a lawyer for your case. Also, have a bailbondsman's number available. And, for your own sake, shut your pie-hole until you have the lawyer present.

Quote Originally Posted by LastManOut View Post
    And, for your own sake, shut your pie-hole until you have the lawyer present.
    As for keeping quiet, this might be helpful.

Don't Talk to the Police
    "I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... but they've always worked for me." - H.S.T.

Ron
    It is not necessary to spend the momey to have an attorney on retainer in the unlikely event you are involved in a use of deadly force situation. You should look for an attorney who is both knowledgable and experienced in CCW matters. Those are the questions you should ask them during your interterview. Once you are satisfiedthat you have one that you are comfortable with, you should ask for his or her advice about what you should and should not say to the police. Then if involved, have the attorney's telephone numbers on your speed dial and follow their advice until they arrive to represent you. This is not rocket science, but make certain that the attorney you select is experienced in this area of the law and then make certain that you follow their advice.

Ron
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

Distinguished Member Array mavrik46's Avatar
    My attorney is a longtime friend. He's really a tax attorney, but I know that he will be there if I ever need him to protect my rights and then to refer me to a good defense attorney. Plus, we used to hunt and shoot together so I know he is pro gun.
    Greg

It's not what you go thru in life, but how well you go thru it.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I have a local attny on speed dial on my cell . His main qualification is that he personally believes in a persons right to defend themselves . As a prosecutor he has shown this , In spite of the sheepskin he is a common sense fella .

To answer your question tho ask how the prospective attny feels about both gun ownership , and gun ownership in self defense , ask the attny to cite caselaw , as if he is not selling you a bill he will cite at least one case for your state . If he cannot cite a case well ya dont want him . My attny personally works and it costs me under $50 a year to have him on speed dial . The implicant deal is that n if i am in hawaii or portacico My case w0ont be handled by him , but he will take the time to give me adaquate councel .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs View Post
    I have a local attny on speed dial on my cell . His main qualification is that he personally believes in a persons right to defend themselves . As a prosecutor he has shown this , In spite of the sheepskin he is a common sense fella .

To answer your question tho ask how the prospective attny feels about both gun ownership , and gun ownership in self defense , ask the attny to cite caselaw , as if he is not selling you a bill he will cite at least one case for your state . If he cannot cite a case well ya dont want him . My attny personally works and it costs me under $50 a year to have him on speed dial . The implicant deal is that n if i am in hawaii or portacico My case w0ont be handled by him , but he will take the time to give me adaquate councel .
    Hi,

Thanks very much for the reply. It help me to think about my ideals.

Tks again and pls keep posting.

Quote Originally Posted by Agave View Post
    Be sure you read the fine print. I signed up for it many years ago and paid my monthly fees. In reviewing my policy I learned that they only paid for hours billed once the case went to trial. All hours billed prior to trial (consultation, research, drafting of motions, etc...) would come out of my pocket. Want to bet where most of the expense is??

They may have different levels of coverage, but at the time the plan I had was all that was offered IIRC.

cj
    This might actually be a good question to ask around for locally. The topic came up during a CCW course I was taking, and both the instructor and a police officer there at the time suggested a few specific lawyers.

I posted this in another thread a while ago. Might not be the way to go for you, but it has worked for me.

I have had my CHL since '95 when it became legal in TX. I spoke to a LEO friend of mine at the time and asked who he would call if he or someone in his family had to defend themselves with a firearm in a self defense situation. He got back to me a couple of days later with a name and said he would trust his family to this attorney if that happened. He got names from the Union and then asked other officers that had used them if they would use them if their spouse needed it.(Seems he had not thought of it before and was just gong to leave it to the union if he was involved. I asked about the wife and it made him think, so he asked his fellow LEOs.)
    I called the guy and told him I was getting my CHL when it became law and would like to speak to him about defense. He and I got together in his office for a free consultation where I learned about his 2A views and his approach to a self defense shooting scenario. I decided I liked his outlook and still feel the same today.
    He and I get together about once every 6 months or so and have lunch on my dime. He has said I am the longest relationship he has had since passing the Bar that he has never defended. If I call his number at 3am, he will recognize my number and name. He will post my bond and then we will put together my defense.

His only instructions to me were:
    #1. Tell the 911 operator that I had discharged my weapon in defense of myself, give a description of the surroundings and my attire.
    #2. Follow all LEO instructions.
    #3. Tell The LEOs on the scene that I was in fear for my/another's life, give them my DL and CHL and then ask "To speak to my attorney before I answer any more questions." The LEOs will then stop questioning and either arrest you or let you go home. This keeps you from saying things that might be misinterpreted by a Prosecutor later.

Then you STHU and call him if you haven't already.

Some would say that the $500 or so I have spent on lunch in the last 15 years could have been spent on guns/ammo/equipment, but I consider it a good investment and it is certainly better than me or someone else that I have called collect from jail looking in the Yellow Pages or on-line for someone that might be less than a zealous advocate for my 2A rights and might determine the outcome of the rest of my life.

This is just how I have done it.
    "Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links