Car Carry

Car Carry

This is a discussion on Car Carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So, I'm feeling comfortable enough with the Bersa that I'm carrying it in non-work related situations. I don't feel comfortable enough with my (relatively new) ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Car Carry

Question Car Carry

So, I'm feeling comfortable enough with the Bersa that I'm carrying it in non-work related situations. I don't feel comfortable enough with my (relatively new) employer to ask him about carrying at work, but I do want to keep it in the car with me.

I'm currently waiting for a Center Of Mass car safe to come in the mail which I'll be using when I need to store it in the car, but here's the question - on a daily work day when I'm not holstering, but I want to keep the gun in the car with me, where would I keep it so that it's accessible in an emergency while on the road, yet not out in plain sight?
    Keep emotionally active. Cater to your favorite neurosis.

This will sound painfully obvious, but the good ole glove box has housed many a handgun in its day and will do for now until you get your COM safe. Then most definitely use that from now on as it will provide much better security than the glove box in your car.
    God bless our troops!

Does your vehicle have map pockets on the door? What kind of suspension system does your driver's seat have underneath? Bench seat, or 60/40 with center console? Back seat have storage space underneath? Can you reach the backseat from the driver seat?

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Does your vehicle have map pockets on the door? What kind of suspension system does your driver's seat have underneath? Bench seat, or 60/40 with center console? Back seat have storage space underneath? Can you reach the backseat from the driver seat?
    The passenger seat has a net on the back. I do have map pockets, which would work better since I'm lefty. I just have to secure it so the gun isn't sliding back and forth every time I stop.

Quote Originally Posted by crzy4guns View Post
    This will sound painfully obvious, but the good ole glove box has housed many a handgun in its day and will do for now until you get your COM safe. Then most definitely use that from now on as it will provide much better security than the glove box in your car.
    I would store it in the COM safe, but keeping it in there while driving would be counter productive if I need it while on the road (ex. road rage incident).

I just have to secure it so the gun isn't sliding back and forth every time I stop
    Just wedge it in there with a towel or rag. Something you use to wipe the dash, etc....

Don't leave it in the map pockets on the door. Every time you open it, the gun is exposed to the world behind you.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

When strapped into the car I carry in a cheap cross draw holster that is easily removable. Before I exit I transfer to my IWB holster. This rig gives me easy access.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Do most of you guys have car safes? How many just rely on the glove box or other "loose" means when car carrying?

I've heard of some people reinforcing glove boxes somehow virtually turning them into safes....all/most gloves have locks, but some people get creative.
    It is utterly illogical to believe that passing laws to reduce gun violence will be successful when those who are commiting the gun violence do not obey the law.

When ever I have to leave my gun in the car I unload it, and use a cable lock through the chamber and lock it to the underside of my seat.
    Dave
    Springfield XD .40 Service
    Para Ord Hawg 9
    Kahr CW9
    S&W 22A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joBMq...eature=related

VIP Member
    I know you indicated you wanted off body carry while in your vehicle but with so many good holster designs, I really don't understand why.

Personally I never want to be separated from my weapon. There are just too many reasons I might have to quickly exit my vehicle and I don't want to be "grabbing my gun" unless I actually need to use it and certainly don't want to be reported as "there's a guy with a gun in his hand".

Also, when the deification hits the ventilation, you will do what you have practiced and I would not want to instinctively reach for my weapon on my hip only to remember, "oh yeah, it's in my glove box"!

When my weapon is not "on me", I too use a COM but when it's not in the COM, it's "on me"!

Just a thought.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

When I have to leav it in the car....

Quote Originally Posted by Zach and Holly View Post
    Do most of you guys have car safes? How many just rely on the glove box or other "loose" means when car carrying?

I've heard of some people reinforcing glove boxes somehow virtually turning them into safes....all/most gloves have locks, but some people get creative.
    I use one of those lock boxes with the cable that goes through the seat mechanism. They work very well for a reasonable price.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    I know you indicated you wanted off body carry while in your vehicle but with so many good holster designs, I really don't understand why.

Personally I never want to be separated from my weapon. There are just too many reasons I might have to quickly exit my vehicle and I don't want to be "grabbing my gun" unless I actually need to use it and certainly don't want to be reported as "there's a guy with a gun in his hand".

Also, when the deification hits the ventilation, you will do what you have practiced and I would not want to instinctively reach for my weapon on my hip only to remember, "oh yeah, it's in my glove box"!

When my weapon is not "on me", I too use a COM but when it's not in the COM, it's "on me"!

Just a thought.

It's a matter of convenience, really. I can see having to strap on my holster for a 20 minute ride to work and then take the rig off, tuck my shirt in, put the gun in the COM safe, and hide the holster somewhere else as being a bit of a pain doing it every day.

Lots of good advice here but some of it is not applicable in Florida. You need to get familiar with F.S. 790.25. In my opinion, the best way to do this is to buy Jon Gutmacher's book. It turns the statute's legalese into plain English. With a CWP you can always carry concealed on your person. In addition, if not concealed on your person and in a vehicle it must be securely encased. Special situations related to schools exist. Closed glove compartment, closed console, zippered gun case, snapped holster all count as securely encased. An open map pocket won't qualify (unless it is in a snapped holster).

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cakewalk View Post
    I don't feel comfortable enough with my (relatively new) employer to ask him about carrying at work, but I do want to keep it in the car with me.
    I recommend that discussion with your employer never occur.

Quote Originally Posted by Cakewalk View Post
    ...here's the question - on a daily work day when I'm not holstering, but I want to keep the gun in the car with me, where would I keep it so that it's accessible in an emergency while on the road, yet not out in plain sight?
    Even though you are not carrying at work, you should consider keeping it holstered on you while in the car away from work. That is the most secure and accessible method. The COM safe is good for stowing a pistol in the car when you are not in it, but that safe must be locked with a key to close it, so that would not be the way to go when you are in the car.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links