A good time to be a gun owner

This is a discussion on A good time to be a gun owner within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It's a good time to be a gun owner in America. While a lot of people like to complain about restrictive laws and politics or ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

It's a good time to be a gun owner in America. While a lot of people like to complain about restrictive laws and politics or the anti gun groups, just look at what we have now compared to just 10 years ago.

First, we no longer have the Clinton assault weapons ban. We also have the recently passed gun manufactures lawsuit protection act. Brazil voted down a bill just this past week that would have banned almost all civilian owned guns there which if passed, would have been used as a stepping stone to pass similar laws in other countries (including here in the US). Compared to 10 years ago, look at the number of states that now have CC/right to carry laws. Also, look at the improvement in ammo, weapons and gear that has occured and the new guns and calibers that are now available at prices that won't send most of us to the poor house.

There are other things that need to be done and as a gun owner things could still be much better, but these alone should be enough to make most gun owners sit up and rather than talk about the "good old days", consider the fact that compared to what things were like just a few short years ago, these ARE the good old days! Yes, I dare say if I were to look back on what life as a gun owner was like in the 90's or even as recently as 2001, it is a very good time to be a gun owner.
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

+1 Love that positive outlook :)
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

Assistant Administrator
    True - or as I like to think - things could be a lot worse. I guess anything we still see as restrictive is not too popular but as long as the ''good fight'' continues then it should be possible to, for instance - see states like MD eventually go shall-issue.

ra - (Robert?) - am I right - the USCCA editorial in last Concealed Carry Mag issue was you? Good piece of work
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    Just a few more states to get lined up.
    We'll get there.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

1943 - 2009

Wishful Thinking

Now, if we could just get the Supreme Court to rule that the 2A is indeed an individual right......

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

We are fortunate indeed to be living I this time frame of firearms freedom. Here in California we are protected from buying substandard guns by the DOJ. The have a program where the gun mfg must have all guns certified by their labs and placed on the DOJ certified list. Handguns on the list are the only ones allowed to be sold in CA. Other benefits are Oakland has no gun shops, ex Gov Brown seen to that, in this way gun availability by lawful citizens may be hard to come by.
    San Francisco is trying to get a complete gun band within the county so the benefit there is people on vacation from other states won’t feel threatened by someone protecting themselves legally with a gun.
    I never did research to determine if all the special testing required for each handgun model of a mfg has raised the price or not. What would anyone’s guess be?
    They have of course some time ago had a drive on where cop killer bullets and Saturday night specials were outlawed. Thank God we are protected here with good upstanding politicians who in concert with the anti-gun crowd are always quick to offer anti-gun bills taxing ammo being sold, that sort of thing.
    SASS had their end of trail get together that lasted maybe a week, it had crowds from all over the country and foreign countries. The end of trail made money for the community as well as the participants. It was a big deal but gun control restrictions began a problem and after 24 years in Southern CA moved the end of trial to New Mexico where they are enjoying the revenue being generated,
    When I sold my .22 revolver to a friend I had to be there for the transfer and during the process he had to show he was familiar with the revolver in question. The ritual went something like they used a roped off area at the counter and he stood between the ropes. The counter sales guy using a script had him explain the various things and after he assured them he understood the .22 we completed the paperwork. I spent almost 2 hours at the store to transfer my gun to him. Yes indeed we have come far in gun owner ship here in CA.
    Yes, it has been something seeing gun control at its best here in CA. I cannot wait to see what next year brings to improve gun ownership in this state.
    As you slide down the banister of life,
    May the splinters never point the wrong way.
    ---
    NRA Life Member

Enjoy it while it lasts guys... the pendulum always swings back and hard.

Hillary will get elected in 2008 and it'll all go to heck again. That is why I am buying reloading equipment and an AR15 NOW, not later, NOW.

Assistant Administrator
    Richard - it is sad that CA behaves as if not part of this great nation - and true enough, there you have way too many problems and restrictions. I can feel and share your cynicism and it needs remembered just how bad things are there.

Euc is right too re what the future may hold - and so definitely get stuff you plan for now if possible and - thinking ahead should make us maintain resolve in the fight. Much as some things have improved as of now - the potential for problems is all too real.

Comparing certain states with the majority rest makes for some stark paradoxes, and concerns too. Guard cannot be allowed to drop one bit.
    Chris - P95

Florida HB 285

For what it's worth, the NRA-ILA just sent me this.
    It's a shame that legislation like this if even needed:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Contact: Bill Johnson
    October 25, 2005 (321) 984-4848

REPRESENTATIVE MITCH NEEDELMAN FILES LEGISLATION TO PRESERVE CITIZENS’ RIGHTS DURING EMERGENCIES

TALLAHASSEE - Representative Mitch Needelman (R-Melbourne) today announced the filing House Bill (HB) 285 to preserve the right of citizens to lawfully possess weapons during an officially declared state of emergency.

“Recent events in the New Orleans area during the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina demonstrate that citizens’ right to keep and bear arms are especially important during a state of emergency,” said Representative Needelman, a retired State Law Enforcement Officer. “The very basis for the Second Amendment is to empower citizens with the right to self-protection-and when is self-protection more critical than in a time of disaster?”

HB 285 clarifies the authority of the governor during a declared emergency by asserting that “nothing contained in this chapter shall be construed to authorize the seizure, taking, or confiscation of firearms that are lawfully possessed.”

The New York Times reported in early September that legally possessed firearms were being confiscated from law abiding citizens, quoting the superintendent of police that "only law enforcement are allowed to have weapons." A Louisiana state statute allows the chief law enforcement officer to "regulate possession" of firearms during declared emergencies.

“HB 285 will ensure that the unconstitutional stripping of citizens’ rights does not occur during emergencies in Florida,” said Representative Needelman. “We have an opportunity to reassert the right to bear arms and avoid the clear violation that occurred in Louisiana.”

HB 285 has been filed for consideration in the 2006 Session of the Florida Legislature. The Legislature is slated to convene on March 7, 2006.
    Sarhog
    NRA Life Member
    Northwest Florida Defensive Pistol Shooters Member
    Sarhog's gallery

Chris I have been following gun control for a number of years. The gun people don't understand the anti crowd is in the game for the long run, not a few years but decades. Maryland would offer some screwed up antigun bill and it maybe it would work and maybe not. Then you would see CA doing the same thing, same kind of bill it was like playing ping pong.
    The game right now is to shut CA gun owners down with restrictions and see how far it goes. Once the model is a slam dunk other states who are very comfortable with their gun laws will suddenly have a flock of what we are going through.
    I sure don't know the answer, well I do its money, but once the push is on the most comfortable place will become a battle ground.
    As you slide down the banister of life,
    May the splinters never point the wrong way.
    ---
    NRA Life Member

P95 - Yep, that was one of my rants in CCM. They keep asking for a profile and a photo, but I doubt if anyone is interested in looking at my old, hairy face and hearing about my days in the navy or the triplet 6 y/o boys I now have at home.
    Last edited by rachilders; October 26th, 2005 at 07:09 PM.
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

Assistant Administrator
    Haha - well Robert - Maria has my profile, a cover pic and, an article all on back burner - not sure now the profile anyways will be too flattering to me but hey - I embarrass less easily now
    Chris - P95

Quote Originally Posted by FortyFive
    We are fortunate indeed to be living I this time frame of firearms freedom. Here in California we are protected from buying substandard guns by the DOJ. The have a program where the gun mfg must have all guns certified by their labs and placed on the DOJ certified list. Handguns on the list are the only ones allowed to be sold in CA. Other benefits are Oakland has no gun shops, ex Gov Brown seen to that, in this way gun availability by lawful citizens may be hard to come by.
    San Francisco is trying to get a complete gun band within the county so the benefit there is people on vacation from other states won’t feel threatened by someone protecting themselves legally with a gun.
    I never did research to determine if all the special testing required for each handgun model of a mfg has raised the price or not. What would anyone’s guess be?
    They have of course some time ago had a drive on where cop killer bullets and Saturday night specials were outlawed. Thank God we are protected here with good upstanding politicians who in concert with the anti-gun crowd are always quick to offer anti-gun bills taxing ammo being sold, that sort of thing.
    SASS had their end of trail get together that lasted maybe a week, it had crowds from all over the country and foreign countries. The end of trail made money for the community as well as the participants. It was a big deal but gun control restrictions began a problem and after 24 years in Southern CA moved the end of trial to New Mexico where they are enjoying the revenue being generated,
    When I sold my .22 revolver to a friend I had to be there for the transfer and during the process he had to show he was familiar with the revolver in question. The ritual went something like they used a roped off area at the counter and he stood between the ropes. The counter sales guy using a script had him explain the various things and after he assured them he understood the .22 we completed the paperwork. I spent almost 2 hours at the store to transfer my gun to him. Yes indeed we have come far in gun owner ship here in CA.
    Yes, it has been something seeing gun control at its best here in CA. I cannot wait to see what next year brings to improve gun ownership in this state.
    I suppose I should have been more specific and said it's a good time to be a gun owner in the United States. The Republik of Kalifornia left the union long ago, strangely about the time ex govenor Jerry Brown, Dianne Feinstein and a few others began getting elected. Guess it proves two axiums my mother told me... you reap what you sow and if you turn a blind eye to injustice, don't be surprised if someone pokes a stick into it.

Yes, it is better than 10 years ago.
    And that is encouraging...the small steps of progress that let us envision more progress in the future.

But there is still an incredibly long way to go.
    The "interesting editorial" thread in this forum is a prime example of the fact that law-abiding gun owners face as much or more threat from government, lawyers and anti-gun proponents than from a BG.

But as this thread states, it's good to remember the positive side.

Talking Positive because we made it that way!

I will try not to get too far on my soap box, but it's all of us who belong and support the NRA and state NRA affiliates, as well as other pro-gun groups. I'm sure there is not a person on this forum that beleives we are "just lucky" that things have gotten better.

The NRA and grass roots efforts (that means you and me) have gotten off our tails and let our elected representatives know that we want such options as "Shall Issue". Our hard work paid off...yes, the pendulum may swing back...so keep up your vigilance and do what you can do to support the pro-gun and pro-self defense movement.

Soap box off...and back to our regular great programming.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links