A total conversion

A total conversion

This is a discussion on A total conversion within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just felt compelled to briefly mention something about my longtime girlfriend. When I originally bought my gun and applied for my CWP here in ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A total conversion

A total conversion

I just felt compelled to briefly mention something about my longtime girlfriend. When I originally bought my gun and applied for my CWP here in FL, my girlfriend was quite apprehensive and couldn't understand why I would want or need to do so (which seems to be the first question I'm asked if I decide to tell someone). In any event, that was about 8 or 9 months ago. Just now, she gives me a call out of the blue and actually thanks me for carrying a gun. Her reasoning was that with all of the violent offenses and in particular gun violence perpetrated on random individuals (robberies, thefts, assault, and more recently here in Tampa a few shootings), she finally totally understands the concept. In the between time, she was very accepting of it, but sort of just wrote it off as just something I do. I'm just glad she's finally a total convert and maybe even nearing the time she has her own...

I'm glad you won a convert, and I hope to God you never have to prove why. Stay safe out there.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Sounds to me like maybe she never thought about a gun as protection until you started carrying, then all the pieces fell into place for her.

Have you offered to take her to the range?

Quote Originally Posted by gilraen View Post
    Sounds to me like maybe she never thought about a gun as protection until you started carrying, then all the pieces fell into place for her.

Have you offered to take her to the range?
    I think you're right. And I've taken her to the range several times. She's actually quite good and enjoyed it a lot (she even asks me sometimes if we can go!). I brought her twice with my friend and his girlfriend who has her own Kahr 9mm that she carries in her purse.

Congratulations, on winning her over.

When I was dating, I never carried a big pistol. Usually the NAA 22 in my pocket and kept a Colt 45 auto in the center consol. And I never told the girl.

Good job! So are you going to offer to help her look for one of her own?

Good for her and for you.

Quote Originally Posted by gilraen View Post
    Good job! So are you going to offer to help her look for one of her own?
    Thank you all :)

Absolutely! She actually prefers a large handgun to a smaller one. The Kahr, because its so much lighter, has too much recoil. She likes my 9mm Baby Eagle and my friend has a .40 Sig P229 that weighs and shoots almost identically to mine.

Congratulations on the conversion.....

Do you think your GF could call my wife and tell her the same stuff

Nice. I hope my GF sees the light someday. She nearly killed me the first time I carried! She has become used to it now and I think it reasures her on occasion that I have a gun with us when we are out or if we hear a bump in the night. But we still have th occasional argument over why I carry. At least she is used to it even if she doesnt realy like it.
    Benjamin Franklin once said, "he that would supplant a little liberty for a little safety deserves neither".

She might just be a keeper.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

great that's step one now get her shooting and then convert her to carrying.
    Kind of strange my daughter in law has always been pretty closed minded about my son and me carrying. Then my wife started carrying. A few weeks ago she started shooting a great deal and took her permit class. now she carries.
    Jack dog

First time I brought my fiance shooting she was almost in tears about me "making her go". (I told her it was important to me that she went at least once). I have the picture of her with the P22 smiling.

Recently she was followed around a target by a guy who told her hes watched her there before and wanted her number. Was pretty persistent even after she said she was engaged. Needless to say tomorrow we're going to go try out her new S&W J-frame .38.

She won't be able to carry until we move to NH from WI, but after that incident I said "that's why I want you to CCW". Needless to say she told me, "well actually I've been thinking about it and i think it's a good idea."

Shes a keeper!

Hey, it took my wife the first 32 years of our marriage and an incident in a 'stacked' parking garage to fully understand the reason for being armed.
    Now she pretty much takes her pistola with her each time she leaves the house...

Stay armed...pro-gunners are anti's with experience...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Thank you all! :)

She's definitely come around a lot faster than I thought. It seems like everyone has a similar story. Women should carry a gun just as much, if not more, than a man should. I just hope she takes it to the next step sooner rather than later!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links