Traveling to Georgia

Traveling to Georgia

This is a discussion on Traveling to Georgia within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm going to be traveling from Tx to Georgia soon. According to handgunlaw.us, I understand my permit is honored in LA, MS, AL & GA ...

Thread: Traveling to Georgia

Traveling to Georgia

I'm going to be traveling from Tx to Georgia soon. According to handgunlaw.us, I understand my permit is honored in LA, MS, AL & GA - all of which I will be traveling through to get to the destination. However, finding the laws for those states is a very painful ordeal from handgunlaw.us.

Anybody know where I could find a brief summary of the laws for those states? Lacking that, anybody on here from one of those states that could summarize the rules for me?

This is about the only thing that makes me miss PDO... well, when they actually kept the law pages up to date. :-)

The NRA site is a good quick glance site. It may not be 100% so be careful.

NRA-ILA :: Gun Laws
    -Biker

No license issued pursuant to this section shall authorize any person to carry a concealed pistol or revolver into any place of nuisance as defined in Section 95-3-1,Mississippi Code of 1972; any police, sheriff or highway patrol station; any detention facility, prison or jail; any courthouse; any courtroom, except that nothing in this section shall preclude a judge from carrying a concealed weapon or determining who will carry a concealed weapon in his courtroom; any polling place; any meeting place of the governing body of any governmental entity; any meeting of the Legislature or a committee thereof; any public park unless for the purpose of participating in any authorized firearms-related activity; any school, college or professional athletic event not related to firearms; any portion of an establishment, licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, that is primarily devoted to dispensing alcoholic beverages; any portion of an establishment in which beer or light wine is consumed on the premises, that is primarily devoted to such purpose; any elementary or secondary school facility; any junior college, community college, college or university facility unless for the purpose of participating in any authorized firearms-related activity; inside the passenger terminal of any airport, except that no person shall be prohibited from carrying any legal firearm into the terminal if the firearm is encased for shipment ,for purposes of checking such firearm as baggage to be lawfully transported on any aircraft; any church or other place of worship; or any place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by federal law. In addition to the places enumerated in this subsection, the carrying of a concealed pistol or revolver may be disallowed in anyplace in the discretion of the person or entity exercising control over the physical location of such place by the placing of a written notice clearly readable at a distance of not less than ten (10) feet that the "carrying of a pistol or revolver is prohibited." No license issued pursuant to this section shall authorize the participants in a parade or demonstration for which a permit is required to carry a concealed pistol or revolver.

This pretty much covers what is off limits in Mississippi.

Any person holding a valid unrevoked and unexpired license to carry concealed pistols or revolvers issued in another state having requirements substantially similar to those of this state shall have such license recognized by this state to carry concealed pistols or revolvers, provided that the issuing state authorizes license holders from this state to carry concealed pistols or revolvers in such issuing state and the appropriate authority has communicated that fact to the Department of Public Safety.
    This covers reciprocity.

Hope this helps.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

GA gun law here
    Georgia Gun Laws in Plain English on GeorgiaPacking.org

GA law on off limit places:

Places off limits to carry

There are 5 laws that address where firearms may be borne (carried)

Deadly Weapons at Public Gatherings; It is (misdemeanor offense) against the law for a person (licensed or not) to carry to or while at a public gathering any explosive compound, firearm, or knife designed for the purpose of offense or defense (including ANY deadly weapon not listed here). A public gathering is defined and includes, but is not limited too, athletic or sporting events, churches or church functions, political rallies and/or functions, publicly owned or operated buildings(Fed, state, or local government buildings), and establishments at which alcoholic beverages are sold for consumption on the premises(bars and restaurants that serve alcohol. Does not apply to stores that just sell alcohol). Nothing in this code section shall otherwise prohibit the carrying of a firearm in any other public place by a person licensed or permitted to do so. (This means licensees are permitted to carry in stores, malls, financial institutions, and other places open to the public) Five areas are specifically defined as public gatherings, but since the definition of a public gathering is not limited to the five areas what else could be considered a public gathering? Attorney general Mike Bowers issued an opinion that addresses this very issue. In his definition a public gathering is "a place in which the public gathers or will gather for an particular event or function and does not apply to a place (such as a shopping mall, Walmart, grocery store, McDonlands), where people may gather even in large numbers when there is no event or function". So basically a public gathering in addition to the 5 defined areas is an event or function that the general public gathers or will gather for. This may be a parade, music event, free contests, presentation speakers, or any other publicized event that the general public can gather for. Remember however if a public place that is not off limits by the definition of this code section CAN still be defined as a public gathering IF any of the activities defined above are taking place on the premises. i.e. a mall that is hosting a public speaker or a music concert or portions of the mall that serves alcoholic beverages or portions leased to a government agency. Also keep in mind that this prohibition also applies to the grounds that are on or in close proximity of the "public gathering". i.e. the parking lot of a bar, stadium, church, or the common area of the premises that is hosting a "public gathering". It is an defense to violation of this code section if a person notifies any law enforcement officer or security guard employed to provide security for the public gathering, if you are in possession of a deadly weapon while at a public gathering as soon as you learn of it's presence and you surrender or secure such weapon as directed by the law enforcement officer or security guard providing security for the public gathering. (This does not mean you can carry to a public gathering, this section means that if you are carrying to a public gathering and you realize that you accidentally brought your weapon, then you can come forward to a LEO or security guard and surrender your weapon without risking arrest. This code section is clearly criminal in nature and the burden is on the state to show intent to violate this code section) This law shall not apply to competitors participating in a sport shooting or gun event, law enforcement officers, district attorneys, judges, magistrates, solicitors, ect. (16-11-127, Carroll co. probate court, AG opinion U96-22)

Weapons on school property and functions; It is (felony offense) unlawful for a person to carry ANY type of weapon onto or within 1,000 feet of real property owned or leased by any public or private elementary school, secondary school, or school board and used for elementary or secondary education and in, on, or within 1,000 feet of the campus of any public or private technical school, vocational school, college, university, or institution of post secondary education. This code section does not apply to persons who are licensed under code 16-11-129 (Georgia Firearm License) or in accordance with code 43-38-10 (special carry licenses for security guards) when such person carries or picks up a student at a school building, school function, or school property or on a bus or other transportation furnished by the school. (I'm not sure of the total legality actually carrying into school building while picking up or dropping off a student, but it appears to be completely legal since the code does not say anything about not being allowed to enter the building while carrying. I wouldn't loiter around in the halls or cafeteria, but instead make a straight bee line to the office and back in order to drop off or pick up a student if you are required to do so.) This code section shall also not apply to a weapon which is in a locked compartment of a motor vehicle or one which is in a locked container in or a locked firearms rack which is on a motor vehicle which is being used by an adult over 21 years of age to bring to or pick up a student at a school building, school function, or school property or on a bus or other transportation furnished by the school, or when such vehicle is used to transport someone to an activity being conducted on school property which has been authorized by a duly authorized official of the school; provided, however, that this exception shall not apply to a student attending such school; and shall not prohibit any person who resides or works in a business or is in the ordinary course transacting lawful business or any person who is a visitor of such resident located within a school safety zone from carrying, possessing, or having under such person's control a weapon within a school safety zone(this code section does not apply to anyone carrying or transporting a weapon through the zone, or while conducting business while in the zone, or while visiting someone who resides in the zone. Be advised however if you step onto actual school property (while not picking up or dropping off a student), the building or land the building is situated on, then you are in violation even if you have a license. Be careful!) however, it shall be unlawful for any such person to carry, possess, or have under such person's control while at a school building or school function or on school property, a school bus, or other transportation furnished by the school any weapon or explosive compound.(16-11-127.1)

Deadly Weapons on the premises of a nuclear power facility; It is (misdemeanor offense) against the law for a person (licensed or not) to carry, possess, or have under such person's control while on the premises of a nuclear power facility a firearm or weapon. (There are some execptions, but they all have to do with official duties or training.) (16-11-127.2)

Carrying deadly weapons on public transportation; It is against the law in Georgia to carry or attempt to carry a deadly weapon onto a commercial airline, rail vehicle, or bus. This is considered attempted hijacking in Georgia (and it is a felony offense). It does not matter whether or not you are licensed to carry. The provisions of this subsection shall not apply to any privately owned aircraft, bus, or rail vehicle if the owner of such aircraft or vehicle has given his or her express permission to board the aircraft or vehicle with the item. In order to carry on a commercial airline, rail vehicle, or bus the firearm must be unloaded lock in a case and separate from its ammunition and checked with the transportation company providing the airline, rail vehicle, or bus. It is an defense to violation of this Code section if a person notifies a law enforcement officer or other person employed to provide security for a transportation company of the presence of such item as soon as possible after learning of its presence and surrenders or secures such item as directed by the law enforcement officer or other person employed to provide security for a transportation company. (Same here as with the "public gathering" law. If you accidentally carry your weapon on to public transportation or after you have checked your luggage, you must notify a LEO or TSA agent immediately in order to prevent arrest. This will not apply if you are asked if you are carrying a weapon and say no, then you are later found to be carrying a weapon. Be honest, be forthcoming, and most importantly BE CAREFUL!)(16-12-123, 16-12-127)

State parks, historic sites, and recreational areas; the term 'park, historic site, or recreational area' means a park, historic site, or recreational area which is operated by or for and is under the custody and control of the Department of Natural Resources. It is unlawful for any person to use or possess in any park, historic site, or recreational area any firearms, bows and arrows, spring guns, air rifles, slingshots, or any other device which discharges projectiles by any means, unless the device is unloaded and stored so as not to be readily accessible or unless such use has been approved within restricted areas by prior written permission of the commissioner of natural resources or his authorized representative. (A person can have a firearm in their possession only if the firearm is unloaded and stored. The only exception to this rule is the person has to obtain written permission from an authorized rep from DNR to have readily accessible a firearm.) It shall be unlawful to refuse to leave a park, historic site, or recreational area after violating any law or regulation of the Board of Natural Resources promulgated pursuant to Code Section 12-3-9 and after being directed to leave by an authorized representative of the department. (If you are caught carrying a firearm or breaking any of the other rules, then you can be asked to leave the park area by authorized rep from DNR.) Any person who violates any of the provisions of this Code section commits the offense of criminal trespass. (If you refuse to leave after being asked too, then you can be arrested for criminal trespass) (12-3-10)

Those are the laws addressing where firearms may be borne. There are 2 more laws that addresses where firearms may be carried. They apply to carrying in the state capitol and behind the guard line at a jail or prison. Since civilians are prohibited from carrying in public buildings anyway, they are really a moot point and only regulate where legislators, clerks, and LEO's can carry in secure areas of the state capitol and guard lines.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasPatriot View Post
    I'm going to be traveling from Tx to Georgia soon. According to handgunlaw.us, I understand my permit is honored in LA, MS, AL & GA - all of which I will be traveling through to get to the destination. However, finding the laws for those states is a very painful ordeal from handgunlaw.us.

Anybody know where I could find a brief summary of the laws for those states? Lacking that, anybody on here from one of those states that could summarize the rules for me?

This is about the only thing that makes me miss PDO... well, when they actually kept the law pages up to date. :-)
    Hope you enjoy your trip here. As CR2008 posted, georgiapacking.org is a great place for info and georgiacarry.org will have some info also. Note that if your active duty military you will be exempt from many of the Georgia laws. Once again, welcome to Georgia (when you get here).
    Last edited by ronwill; May 28th, 2008 at 03:48 PM.
    Member NRA, SAF and Georgiacarry.org
    “America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.” Abraham Lincoln

Welcome to CarryConcealed.net

Try this one. Click on Pack n' Go Trip Planner

Depending on how soon you will be traveling, GA law will change July 1.

Quote Originally Posted by 1911packer View Post
    For the better too :D
    Local Buses, Trains and transportation hubs will no longer be off limits and same goes for parks, and food places that sell strong drink.

Quote Originally Posted by 1911packer View Post
    How right you are sir... I'm so glad Sonny grew a pair.

Yes, you will be able to lawfully carry in State parks, rest areas, restaurants serving alcohol (so long as you don't drink ), public transportation, etc.
    ---------------------------------------
    www.GeorgiaCarry.org Member
    ---------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by GingerKid View Post
    Yes, you will be able to lawfully carry in State parks, rest areas, restaurants serving alcohol (so long as you don't drink ), public transportation, etc.
    Careful.

Buildings at highway rest stops are still very much off limits. Publicly owned and operated buildings are still generally off limits.

HB89 only legalized carry in the public buildings that are part of "public transportation" and within state parks, WMAs or historic sites.

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    My two references when traveling (plane or car) are:
    Carry map: Handgunlaw.us : CCW Map
    Traveler's Guide to Firearm Laws: Gunlaws for the 50 States
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

Many thanks to everyone that posted. Very helpful information and links.

Now I only lack Louisiana and Alabama info., but it looks like I should be able to get that fairly easily from the above mentioned sites.

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by mzmtg View Post
    Careful.

Buildings at highway rest stops are still very much off limits. Publicly owned and operated buildings are still generally off limits.

HB89 only legalized carry in the public buildings that are part of "public transportation" and within state parks, WMAs or historic sites.
    I'm still researching but rest stops are managed by the DOT and, as such, should be considered public transportation areas. Will post final findings after completion of calls and other research.
    Member NRA, SAF and Georgiacarry.org
    “America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.” Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCohodas View Post
    My two references when traveling (plane or car) are:
    Carry map: Handgunlaw.us : CCW Map
    Traveler's Guide to Firearm Laws: Gunlaws for the 50 States
    I bought the travelers guide about a week ago, and it showed up int he mail yesterday. I have yet to crack it open. But will be traveling soon again, and very much needed it...
    I don't try anything...I just do it!

Quote Originally Posted by ronwill View Post
    I'm still researching but rest stops are managed by the DOT and, as such, should be considered public transportation areas. Will post final findings after completion of calls and other research.
    HB89 specifically states:
    (e) A person licensed or permitted to carry a firearm by this part shall be permitted to carry such firearm, subject to the limitations of this part, in all parks, historic sites, and recreational areas, including all publicly owned buildings located in such parks, historic sites, and recreational areas and in wildlife management areas, notwithstanding Code Section 12-3-10, in wildlife management areas notwithstanding Code Section 27-3-1.1 and 27-3-6, and in public transportation notwithstanding Code Sections 16-12-122 through 16-12-127; provided, however, that a person shall not carry a firearm into a place prohibited by federal law.
    That means that sections 16-12-122 through 16-12-127 do not apply to GFL holders.

OCGA 16-12-122 defines public transportation, it doesn't say anything about the DOT or rest stops. It's all about aircraft, bus and rail transportation.

Buildings at rest stops are publicly owned and therefore still off limits according to OCGA 16-11-127

Who are you planning to call anyway?

Links