CC'ing in a car in Ohio - Page 2

CC'ing in a car in Ohio

This is a discussion on CC'ing in a car in Ohio within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In the car I carry a snub revolver in a pocket holster. I shove the whole shootin' match between the seats of my Explorer. In ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    In the car I carry a snub revolver in a pocket holster. I shove the whole shootin' match between the seats of my Explorer. In the event that I'm pulled over, and it has happened, I make the cop follow me a bit as I pull it free and slip it into the breast pocket of my shirt. The butt sticks out plenty and it is definately in plain sight, in a holster, and on my person. You just have to make sure that all your shirts have breast pockets.

I agree its very easy to draw from your leg if you need to. However, with practice, its not too bad drawing from 3-4 o clock IWB either - you just have to know how to twist your body a little bit.

My big concern is driving around and having people see me with a gun. I know that would unsettle people, and could possibly lead to cops being called on a "young man carrying a gun." HiWayMan has a pretty good idea, but there is no way I'm fitting my XD into a shirt pocket. You 1911 guys are way out of luck too Tucking my shirt behind in the event that I get pulled over is going to be what I stay with.

I know this sounds stupid and beyond what most people would deam appropriate but the law says a "loaded" weapon must be in plain sight while in a moving vehicle. Carry it as you usually do but without the magazine in it. Have the magazine near by. This law is truy obstructive but at least the state permits it even though it is suppose to be a right.

Dumos - that makes sense as far as carrying concealed. My main concern though is that the gun won't be ready. My gun is always locked and loaded and readily accessible. If its not, why carry? Just my .02.

Having a gun, w/o the clip inserted yet the clip still nearby would concern me with regards to the stupid portion of unloaded/loaded stipulation that is being werked on in the ohio gov't currnetly. just my 2 cents. to each his own.
    cool cops and uncool cops. and moving a gun b4 the cop stops ya....hhhhmmmm. but again, up to you.
    the least of my worries is "a peson with a gun" call on me as long as i'm 100% legal. cuz i know i'm cool with the law.

hopefully all this gets werked out (as in removed) in a year or so.
    R1

This is mine. That is yours.

Lets keep it that way.

As clear as mud

I have asked this same question in several other forums. I have gotten litteraly hundreds of different responses. The law needs to be changed.
    I am just glad that the town og New Rome no longer exists. Just imagine what would have happened if their "Roscoe P Coltrane" police "force" had pulled someone over. There is too much room for abuse as well as too much room for error.

KRobb

Dumos,

Nice try but I don't think it would fly - but then again I'm no lawyer. If you are carrying an unloaded firearm non concealed, it must be in plain sight, unloaded, with the action open - the ammo must be in a separate container not accessible from the firearm.

Carrying a concealed firearm does not indicate it must be loaded in as far as I know.

I am working on a review of the Center of Mass Automobile Travel Safes, which meet the requirements of Ohio's CCW law.

http://www.ag.state.oh.us/web_applic...nts/cc_faq.pdf

Q. How do I carry my concealed handgun while driving?

A. Make sure the handgun is in a holster on your person in plain sight, locked in a glove
    compartment or locked in a transport box in plain sight.

Quote Originally Posted by joe/OH
    Solo - that sounds like a good idea. I really don't like to handle the gun that much - swapping in and out of holsters can be a real pain. Trying to get a full size 1911 back into an IWB at 4:00 while sitting down is not easy nor comfortable. :) But having it on your leg is much more accessible if you would happen to need it.

Hey - at least they didn't get the law passed so you were required to hand over your LOADED weapon to the officer once he pulled you over. This was something the OHSP tried to get in with the bill - luckily it was pulled out.
    Joe, if a LEO asks for your weapon, you're required to hand it over. They have a right at any time during an "official stop" to take possession of the gun for the duration of the stop. Unfortunately, who knows what an "officail stop" is? It's not limited to automobiles.

Sure - if they ask for it. Most of the time they won't unless you give them reason to. However, before the bill was passed, Taft's cronies were trying to include a 'requirement' that you hand over your weapon regardless of whether the officer wants it or not.

I figure official is anything related to police business.

"Hello sir - fine day isn't it?" Not official.

"Sir - can you tell me what you're doing with that body bag and shovel?" Official.

Quote Originally Posted by joe/OH
    "Sir - can you tell me what you're doing with that body bag and shovel?" Official.
    <SARCASM = ON>
    You never know, that question may not be official. Think about it, the officer may have a few bodies of his own that he's looking to dispose of. Getting rid of bodies is a major chore, he may just be hoping you can give him a hand. You never know...
    <SARCASM = OFF>

A1C Lickey

Thanks Phil....I ordered a couple of them gun safes. I have a jeep and can see where that would come in handy for locking up lots of things besides a gun. They have some good books on that site too.!!!!

Here's a photo for those who didn't visit the URL.

Tell them "Phil Elmore from The Martialist" sent you. That will make them happy.

OK, now that it is winter time (or at least jacket/coat weather), I am realizing what a pain "plain sight" is with an IWB and a Navy peacoat. What is everyone's take on wearing a coat/jacket? I have been taking my coat off in the truck just to be safe, but it is kinda ridiculous. Is this going too far?

My father used to wear a cross-draw chest holster for his hunting handgun, over his coat. You could do something like that, or something along the lines of those "tanker" style holsters that put the gun over your heart. I would think that would be in plain view while driving, though of course you'd want to switch out of it when you got where you were going.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links