CC'ing in a car in Ohio - Page 3

CC'ing in a car in Ohio

This is a discussion on CC'ing in a car in Ohio within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Phil, Do you know anything about those safes that have a place for you to put 4 fingers on and (i assume) tap out a ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: CC'ing in a car in Ohio

Senior Member Array GoodSamaritan's Avatar
    Phil, Do you know anything about those safes that have a place for you to put 4 fingers on and (i assume) tap out a combination to open?

I was thinking about mounting one in my work truck for use in Ohio.

Secure, can still be opened with a key, and keeps the weapon readily available.

Phil, Do you know anything about those safes that have a place for you to put 4 fingers on and (i assume) tap out a combination to open?

I was thinking about mounting one in my work truck for use in Ohio.

Secure, can still be opened with a key, and keeps the weapon readily available.
    My father has exactly this arrangement mounted in his truck. The combination works like any other electronic safe, but you tap out "middle finger index finger index finger ring finger" or whatever to work it. It's a good solution and has served him well over the years. It's a good place to store valuables, too.

On my last trip through Ohio, I wore a shoulder holster with no cover garment. When I stopped for gas, I just put on a camp shirt before exiting the truck.

Hooligan,

When using a coat as a cover garment I take the safe route as well and just take it off in the vehicle. You could just tuck it behind you - the problem is if you get out of the car, the coat or jacket can fall back over the gun - and now it's concealed again. That can be a problem if an officer asked you to step out of the car - plain sight you said? Doesn't look like it!

However I still think that most officers will not give you much of a problem. Reports of LEO encounters have almost all been good - even with the troopers who are supposedly anti-ccw.

Joe, true, but remember you're now out of the car and there's no requirement for the weapon to be in plain sight then. I know it's splitting hairs, but it could be a defense. You were following the law
    Dave

“The highest obligation and privilege of citizenship is that of bearing arms”. General George Patton—US Army

Vis et Veneratio

"So this is how democracy dies: to thunderous applause." Actress Natalie Portman as Padme in Star Wars Revenge of the Sith

dpesec,

Yup, it really just comes down to how they want to enforce it again. The thing that made me a bit nervous in regards to stepping out of the vehicle is I heard someone (can't remember who now... maybe a prosecuting attorney?) describe it that way - if you can step out of the car and the officer can see the weapon on you - then it's concealed. Probably just worrying too much about it...

Really, the bottom line is that this law needs changed. Its not practicle in any sense of the word. All Ohioans need to push for legislative reform. Ohioans for Concealed Carry is a good group to be a part of.

http://www.ohioccw.org/

Joe I'm sorry, but that made no sense. If you step out of the car and the LEO CAN see the weapon then it is concealed? Am I missing something here?

A1C Lickey

Sorry - that should have read CAN NOT.

Actually A1C - to an Ohioan that should have made PERFECT since, since here we conceal in plain sight. :P

Is this part of the law just suppose to mean when you get pulled over by the law? Because, who will ever know if it is in plain sight or not unless you get pulled over.

Kind of like saying you have to wear your gun in plain sight when you are sitting on the john.....who the heck is going to see you??????

Well, I guess you can say that about just any law. Kind of like the old saying goes - It's only illegal if you get caught. ;)

Good Point Joe Most laws make at least a bit of sense...this one makes no sense at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Hivoltage
    Good Point Joe Most laws make at least a bit of sense...this one makes no sense at all.
    I hear ya....

ohio Law

The Ohio Law may seem stupid and hopefully will be changed, but it's a lot better then what we had before.

Another problem with the Ohio law is carry on a motorcycle. Since a motorcycle is considered to be a motor vehicle in Ohio motorcycle riders must carry open, or lock the weapon in a box. LOL Hopefully these things will be addressed by the legislature at some future time when the powers that be in Ohio realize that crime rates are falling and people arn't shooting each other down on the freeways.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links