CC'ing in a car in Ohio

This is a discussion on CC'ing in a car in Ohio within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am curious as to how you fellow Ohioians carry in your car and keep the gun in plain sight as the law states. This ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: CC'ing in a car in Ohio

CC'ing in a car in Ohio

I am curious as to how you fellow Ohioians carry in your car and keep the gun in plain sight as the law states. This part of the law scares me.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    In MN we would mount it to a wheelie knob on the steering wheel:)

Anyway, it kinda rules out the smartcarry unless you have a lg zipper. Maybe untucked IWB or OWB. If you're carry is right side in a bucket seat, it could be exposed and still hidden from view to LEO at LF window. Plain sight probably means situated so that LEO can see it during routine traffic stop. We train immediate defensive and controlling action by LEO at first sight of any part of a dangerous weapon. This is usually violent and quite uncomfortable to motorist. The lives of these public servants deserve no less than the highest defensive training. It seems to me that the Ohio law is counter-productive to officer safety if it means he will hesitate in the face of a potentially deadly threat.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

This was to be the poison pill to kill the law. It didn't. There's a couple of things you can do. I have thigh holster fomr http://www.holstersrus.com this allows my pistol to be in plain sight yet ready if needed.
    Of course you can always lock the weapon up in the gove bux.
    Dave

“The highest obligation and privilege of citizenship is that of bearing arms”. General George Patton—US Army

Vis et Veneratio

"So this is how democracy dies: to thunderous applause." Actress Natalie Portman as Padme in Star Wars Revenge of the Sith

There's several products designed to hold your gun between seats or strapped to a seatbelt and they're in plain open view. You can accomplish a lot of things with some Velcro and a cheap holster too.

I'd Velcro it right onto my dashboard in a holster or else put it on my seatbelt and go about my merry way.

Quote Originally Posted by Euclidean
    There's several products designed to hold your gun between seats or strapped to a seatbelt and they're in plain open view. You can accomplish a lot of things with some Velcro and a cheap holster too.

I'd Velcro it right onto my dashboard in a holster or else put it on my seatbelt and go about my merry way.
    There is a part of the Ohio law that states the firearm must be in plain view AND be secured in a holster on your person. So that rules out your plan. No offense meant, just letting people know so they don't get the wrong idea. I like your idea - it would be easier to draw from when you're buckled in. Just can't do that in the Buckeye state.

As to how I carry - I use an IWB holster that I wear around 4 o'clock. When I get into my vehicle, I slide it as far forward as possible (2:30 - 3:00). When I'm going to be on the expressway for awhile, I'll go ahead and do the "Buckeye tuck" and slide my shirt between my body and my gun so it can be seen. If I'm just on a quick trip through city streets, I won't uncover the gun unless I'm pulled over. I'll make sure it can be accomplished quickly as soon as the cop hits his lights though.

Unless this law is reformed, we basically have to wait for someone to get pulled over and taken to court before we know what exactly "plain sight" is. Until then, I'm driving extra carefully so I'm not taking one for the team.

Euclidean, that would be great if Ohio's law wasn't so stupid. The weapon must be holstered and on the body.
    Again, remember it was a poison pill suggested by the people who wanted to prevent this law from passing.
    Dave

“The highest obligation and privilege of citizenship is that of bearing arms”. General George Patton—US Army

Vis et Veneratio

"So this is how democracy dies: to thunderous applause." Actress Natalie Portman as Padme in Star Wars Revenge of the Sith

Hivoltage:
    For what it is worth, at the CC course I recently attended in the Cincinnati area, we discussed this subject. Since our current law has flaws and this area is one, our instructor recommended either keeping the pistol locked in a box (glove or other) or keeping in a holster on your person that provides plain sight visibility. He did not think that affixing to seatbelts or other parts of the interior of the vehicle satisfies the law. Having direct control of the pistol and keeping in plain view are parmount.

I do not have my license yet, but I plan on getting a crossdraw holster to use when in the vehicle.

My $.02

Yeah...this part of the law is interesting alright!!! I just was looking for some suggestions. If locked in the glovebox, does it need to be unloaded.

Hivoltage:
    My above comments apply to transporting a loaded , concealed handgun in a vehicle. Per the guidance put out by the Attorney General, these obligations do not apply if you are not transporting a loaded, concealed handgun inside the vehicle.

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by Hivoltage
    Yeah...this part of the law is interesting alright!!! I just was looking for some suggestions. If locked in the glovebox, does it need to be unloaded.
    My understanding is if the glovebox is LOCKED then the handgun can be locked & loaded. But *** are you going to do with a handgun in the glovebox if you need it in a hurry? Plain sight is a pain in the ass, but its better than the alternative, IMO.

Also, here is a link to the Ohio Attorney General's website. Some good CCW info on there, including a summary of the law in .pdf.

http://www.ag.state.oh.us/web_applic...arry/About.asp

I do similar to what Hooligan stated above. I carry IWB at 4:00. I tuck my shirt in behind the pistol so the butt is visible. Just hoping I don't forget to untuck when I get out of the vehicle.

I have heard many theories what constitutes plain sight - able to identify gun 360 degrees from the vehicle, able to view gun once standing outside of vehicle, no intent to conceal, etc. But since plain sight is not defined and no case has been brought up in regards to this - these are all just guesses and it's really going to depend on the officer and on the prosecutor.

I don't really worry about it to be honest. There are enough loopholes in Ohio CCW law that if a cop wants to bust you - he's going to bust you. Otherwise doing all of the right things - hands on the wheel, notify promptly, be polite and courteous, etc. should keep you out of trouble. All of the reports of folks (including friends) who have had encounters with LEO's in vehicles have been positive.

For what it's worth - I asked one of the deputies I know what HE would consider plain sight - and his answer was simply - 'That the driver wasn't TRYING to conceal the weapon.' Of course, that definition will vary with each officer I'm sure.

Joe

I made a "holster" out of a few layers of an ace bandage, say 3 layers 20 inches long.hand stitched it together leaving a 5" unstitched area in the middle of the 20" length, then glued some velcro to the ends.
    ya wrap it around yer thigh and secure the velcro. insert yer gun into the unstitched area. now it is right on yer thigh, easy to get to, and satisfies the plain sight requirement.
    it aint pretty but it is a "holster", is on my person, and is super easy to git cuz its right there.

the description may not be that clear but think of it as a belly band for yer leg. thats prolly the best description.
    i have seen'em at the gun show for $20 or so.
    didn't wanna pay that for it cuz hopefully this "pill
    will be gone soon.
    did buy the belly band from him though
    R1

This is mine. That is yours.

Lets keep it that way.

Wow, it has to be ON your person and visible? Sheesh that's tough!

I think SoloLucky has the idea though.

What about keeping a mesh vest with an external holster in the car? Just put the vest on and drive.

Solo - that sounds like a good idea. I really don't like to handle the gun that much - swapping in and out of holsters can be a real pain. Trying to get a full size 1911 back into an IWB at 4:00 while sitting down is not easy nor comfortable. :) But having it on your leg is much more accessible if you would happen to need it.

Hey - at least they didn't get the law passed so you were required to hand over your LOADED weapon to the officer once he pulled you over. This was something the OHSP tried to get in with the bill - luckily it was pulled out.

JOE/OOH,
    WOW! I never heard that lil tidbit.
    that woulda sucked worse than the open sight thing does.
    i too hate handling it cuz thats how accidents happen.
    a few friends that are cops said its a bad clause for just that reason.
    they recognize that we (non-cops) hafta handle our guns more than they ever do. it goes in at the beginning of shift and comes out at end of shift. may never hafta touch it between. we on the other hand may hafta swap it around 5-10-more times a day as we enter and exit our vehicles. i carry IWB mostly and sometimes i just shift my shirt but i am just not that comfortable to risk a gung-ho cop not agreeing it meets the requirements so it goes on my leg. and its quick to git to should i ever need it FAST.
    R1

This is mine. That is yours.

Lets keep it that way.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links