Arizona women

This is a discussion on Arizona women within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Arizona women say carrying a gun is necessary in today's society By MIRSADA BURIC-ADAM THE DAILY COURIER PRESCOTT - Judy Dutko, Jane Anne Hulen, and ...

Thread: Arizona women

DC Founder

Arizona women

Arizona women say carrying a gun is necessary in today's society
    By MIRSADA BURIC-ADAM
    THE DAILY COURIER

PRESCOTT - Judy Dutko, Jane Anne Hulen, and Christy Foote believe the Second Amendment guarantees people the right to defend themselves and, as a result, they exercise it in their daily life.

To be in line with the Arizona gun laws, these women have obtained concealed weapon permits to be able to carry their guns in a purse, for example.

Dutko, a retired U.S. History teacher, said when she moved from California to Prescott eight years ago, she did three things in this order: registered to vote, joined a local church and obtained a concealed weapon permit.

Now, she carries on her person a semi-automatic Baretta, which she called "cute," and in her holster purse a Smith & Wesson revolver.

She said she favors revolvers because they do not have exposed hammers. "You point and you shoot," she said.

Although Dutko believes that the Second Amendment should guarantee her permit to bear arms anywhere in the country, in California the gun laws said differently, she said.

"They don't let people defend themselves," she said.

During the Rodney King riots, she carried a gun in her purse for protection, and if police had caught her, she would have been an outlaw, she said.

Foote, a 29-year-old real estate agent, who owns a Glock 9 mm pistol, believes crimes against people often happen before police are able to act.

"They do not do anything until there is a problem," she said. "If you have your own gun, you have a plan of your own."

In addition, she believes that women are still at a disadvantage even if they take self-defense classes that do not involve firearms because men are naturally stronger than women are.

"You are pretty much helpless" if someone attacks you, she said.

"You rarely have to fire a gun," said Hulen, a 52-year-old marketing director at Gunsite in Paulden, who carries a holstered 1911 .45 caliber semi-auto pistol. "You just have to show it. That is all it takes."

"And if you don't have a gun, you need a knife," Hulen said, as she pulled out a pocketknife.

Hulen recalled a situation in which it was enough for a potential perpetrator to see her holstered gun to leave the area in front of her former residence in Scottsdale.

She said she was living on a cul-de-sac when a man was sitting in a van for three nights in a row right in front of her house. On the third night, after other distractions failed, she decided to confront the man with the help from a neighbor and see what he was doing.

After the encounter, he never returned.

"I took care of it," said Hulen, who gave to her two daughters guns when they turned 21.

Foote, whose father taught her to fire a gun, said at first she didn't know what she was doing.

"I was scared of guns," she said, but once she took some training, she gained a greater appreciation for firearms and chose to go even a step further to obtain a concealed permit.

Hulen, Dutko and Foote, who are also members of the National Rifle Association, agree that classes and hands-on practice are necessary to not only become familiar and more skilled with firearms, but also more aware of one's environment.

"You don't just pick up a violin and play a sonata," Hulen said. "It takes practice to do that."

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    ...now these are the kinda ladies I'm looking for!
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Assistant Administrator
    Great girls with the right attitude.

It is true - usually - once the ''scared of a gun'' lady starts properly and gets the practice - it all goes easier thereafter.

Instance our friend Sue - now just two intense training sessions and her whole approach is way different. Confident now but not at all over confident - let's say gaining her proficiency. It's good to see and worth the effort.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Great Attiudes they have 2 thumbs up

Glad they carry

However I doubt I would want my name, and how I carry in a newspaper article.
    <Yep that's really me rounding up a herd

VIP Member
    Great post Bumper, logical, current, concise, and quite convincing. Hearing it from the gals, like Betty, I warm with pride, happy to be the lesser half. This is the news that needs to be reposted far and wide.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Hate to be the bad guy here but...

She said she favors revolvers because they do not have exposed hammers. "You point and you shoot," she said.
    That's greatly oversimplified and just plain wrong... I own an obscene number of revolvers and all but one of them has an exposed hammer.

Plus saying a gun is just point and shoot is, well, it's just wrong.

"You rarely have to fire a gun," said Hulen, a 52-year-old marketing director at Gunsite in Paulden, who carries a holstered 1911 .45 caliber semi-auto pistol. "You just have to show it. That is all it takes."
    This really shocks me someone from Gunsite would say such a thing.

It's true that a gun is the only form of self defense that gives the thug a chance to surrender or walk away, but you can't count on that. The goblins don't act rationally like you and I do.

Other than that I agree with it very much but let's try to be accurate and factual when we do get good press.

Why Euc smith and wesson was the orignal point and shoot interface

VIP Member
    right after Colt
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Administrator

Thumbs up ARIZONA FEMALES ~ Way To Go!

Nice Article.

BTW Euc. My gut feeling is that the person who wrote the article probably did not know much about firearms.

Hence: "She said she favors revolvers because they do not have exposed hammers. "You point and you shoot," she said."

Looks like it might be a case of uninformed editing...in getting the article ready for print.

The first time I went to my range there was a couple of older ladies in the parking lot - they had "Jesus Loves Me" stickers all over their cars...but when they stepped into the box to shoot, HOLY CRAP! They eached pulled out three guns each, seemingly bigger than them! One lady was shooting with a nice .22 cal complete with a laser - These were some truly kickin' cool ladies!
    S&W 5906
    si vis pacem, para bellum

protego communis bona

I was just in Prescott a few weeks back, they have a great weekend flea market, 25% were carying in the open (it is legal there) what a cool thing. definatley a pro gun area, despite all the Komiefornia imports.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Euc, with all due respect, I think that the reporter probably took the womens' remarks out of context. I know of, and have shot with Jane Ann a number of times. She is a level headed and very competant shooter with a lot of common sense. She and a gentleman named Bob Shimizu used to set up a monthly "IDPA/tactical" match at the now closed Sundog Shooters range in Granite Dells, Prescot. I still miss those matches!
    Oh yeh? Well this was sent from the scary black electrical box under my desk, so there!
    "It aint how good you shoot, it's how cool you look doing it." [Fred Sayer 1994]
    H&K P7
    Colt XS, Star PD
    Caracal F

That's true. She probably said something like she preferred revolvers without an exposed hammer and it got blown out of context on that comment.

Links