Carrying At Work

This is a discussion on Carrying At Work within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Adam500 Yeah i guess it wouldn't be the best idea to carry if i want to keep my job so i guess ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Carrying At Work

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam500 View Post
    Yeah i guess it wouldn't be the best idea to carry if i want to keep my job so i guess i will be asking and if told no i will just keep the firearm in my car or home.
    I would say that you decide what you want to do, and do not ask them. Asking could bring unwanted attention to yourself.

Being a bank, your workplace is a target for criminals. Especially if you don't have armed guards, you are at a higher risk of being in a deadly situation than the average person. Who cares about the money? I'd just be worried about protecting my life. If the gun is in the car, it won't do you much good and IF you were able to go out and get it, I doubt you'd go back inside to face the robbers. It's not your job to be a hero either, just to survive (the bank doesn't care about either part).

In the end, it's just a job that takes a portion of your life. Don't let it take the rest of it.

You have to make your own decision. As for me, I've made my decision. I want a fighting chance to walk out alive. My current job is just to get me though the remainder of college, and then onto law enforcement, where they require me to have the means to protect myself.
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Cakewalk View Post
    Remember this though, when you're looking for another job they're going to want to know why you're currently not working, and most prospective employers will call previous employers if for nothing else but to check if you actually worked there. They may ask why you left. Hearing that you were fired because you carried a gun to work is not that good for your chances of landing a job.
    Legally all a prospective employer can do is verify previous employment, and separation (resigned, fired, ...). All you have to do is say, "I violated some obscure company policy, and the company has a "Zero Tolerance" on all their policies."

The trick is to quit before they fire you if you see the ax falling. "I did not morally agree with some of the companies policies."
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

VIP Member

And then some

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    I think you already know the answer... if they catch you, you'll probably be fired!
    As Thumper said, you'll likely be fired. The consequences of being discovered can extend well beyond the current employer. Be prepared for the consequences of the decision.

It is likely you will be unable to obtain another job in backing. You may have difficulty finding another job period, if the former employer discloses the reason for termination. Also consider your family. What happens to them if you lose your job?

Work says no carry. I don't like it, but follow it. Each must make their own decission and accept the consequences of that decision.
    Last edited by ctr; May 30th, 2008 at 08:11 AM. Reason: spelling

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar

Not a simple choice

Grousing about the company? Save your breath: the company's liability insurance provider probably regards you as expendable, and that it is cheaper to hire another teller than to pay for a lawsuit if you were to shoot the wrong guy or merely wound the bad guy. So they call the tune and your company dances. If your company is a mom-and-pop outfit then you might be justified by being sore, but corporations take on a life of their own (incorporation actually is the legal creation of a same-as-a-person entity) and are the very definition of self-serving and amoral. If you don't like it, become self-employed or find a mom-and-pop outfit run by folks you respect. Or carry and accept the likelihood of getting fired.

You need to evaluate the likely risks: the choice is NOT simpy between getting fired and getting killed, since they don't have the same likelihood of occurring. Sure, it's easy if you knew today would include one or the other and you could pick, but that's not how the world is.

Carrying and losing your job:
    Likelihood: fair (concealment has to be 100% effective, and may indeed be possible - however, all it takes is one careless instant, eagle-eyed co-worker, or incautious remark by a friend, family member or gun-shop employee who knows you carry);
    Cost: loss of income, which may result in loss of home and marriage, etc.

Not carrying and getting shot:
    Likelihood: poor (most banks don't get robbed, and most robbers don't shoot the teller);
    Cost: injured or dead.

You are more likely to die in traffic today, but you still go to work since you want to feed your family. Step right up, folks! Pay youse money and takes youse choice! I've made my choice: I do not carry at work because I know the true risks of being without a job, and can guess at the true risks of mayhem where I work. I don't like it, but that's the call I've made for my own life and family: you may come to a different conclusion, and I pray you choose well and are protected in either setting.

What type of security do they provide? Is it a small operation?

I might try something like asking how anyone is kept safe going to/from their car outside. You would like to be able to protect yourself, can you have authorization to carry for your own protection (not to act as security). If they say no you cannot carry then you will be no worse off than you already are. But if they say yes then you are good to go!

Yeah that is what i was thinking. We have about 10 branches and i am in the main office/branch doing IT work. I am often out in the lobby fixing teller PC's ect... I also transport pc's and the such to our corporate office next door. We have no security officers or anything just the police/alarms the usual.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyoming View Post
    I happen to work for the biggest employer in the country, the US Army and I am not allowed to carry on to the fort, let alone into the work place.
    We sure would not want anyone on a MILITARY installation to have a weapon on them now would we !?!?

Can anyone say " Fort Dix Six" ??
    TampaSsgt .........
    Certified Sheepdog

Choose carefully

I personally choose to carry at work...sort of. I carry a briefcase to work and to all of my appt. (I am a sales engineer in the audio visual world). I have a front pocket on my brief case with a perfect size pocket to hold my weapon in my IWB holster. My case is at my desk and if I need it that is where I spend most of my time and when I am traveling I can place my gun in an accessible place and if I am traveling to a gun free zone then I can lock my weapon in my vehicle.

Just an Idea. I am surprised that carrying a wepon in a federally insured facility does not result in a federal crime. I will have to look into this some more.

Thanks,

Jeeper

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    I say the company policy is unclear. Says something to the affect of unapproved items but doesn't say by whom. In other words, your firearm is approved for you to have by the state. Certianly shaky ground but if cought, the threat of a legal challenge could result in a comprimise of disciplinary action short of fired. It's usually easier to get forgiveness than permission. Most certianly the company would clarify the policy to forbid you to carry and protect themselves from legal action.

Someone else mentioned quiting before you were fired. Consider that option would make it more difficult to obtain unemployment benifits while looking for a new job.

This also makes me think of that poor girl that lost her unborn twins in Indiana.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam500 View Post
    .......this is what it says:
    "Possession of dangerous or unauthorized materials, such as explosives or firearms, are not allowed in the workplace."

Would that mean i am authorized if i have a CWL?

Adam
    Authorized by what enity?

You are authorized by the state to carry where it is legal to do so. The bank states you are not authorized by their policy to carry on their respective premises as an employee. State law does not prevent or override their policy. I would think you would be terminated if discovered - and legally so. You signed an employment agreement/contract. In my opinion I view this as just another law - company policy - obey or disobey - it is your choice just like state/federal laws. Attempt to get an exception to this policy in writing. Otherwise I would obey the policy or look for another job.

The policy is clear--your employer does not want you armed at work.

As others have said, your choice to make. Paymeister makes several valuable points. Single young persons have considerably less overhead than people with a family and home to support. I would add that life insurance is just as important as your carry gun.

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerinWstuff View Post
    I say the company policy is unclear. Says something to the affect of unapproved items but doesn't say by whom.

It is implied by the enity that developed the policy - in this case the bank. If I were to state verbally to you that "no firearms are to enter this building unless approved", whom would you think would need to approve? We look for those loop holes, but fact is many states are right to work and right to fire states. So even if you did have a valid loop hole, about the best it might do is lessen a bruised ego from being fired.

Having spent 36+ years as one of Ma Bell's (Y'all remember her?) employees, we were told up front that firearms were not permitted on company property (or was it premises), the exception being LEOs. Complying with that was a condition of continued employment.

Would I have jeopardized my retirement and the ability to feed, clothe and house my family over my right to carry? Hard to say. I always knew I could get another engineering job in the industry. Today's job market is not what it was when I worked, so I'd be very careful about violating company policies, especially if I am highly compensated compared to others doing the same job. This is a highly personal issue that each must decide on his/her own.

You might take this approach with your immediate supervisor or the branch manager. Explain you are considering getting a permit to carry and in light of the aforementioned policy, does that license meet the "authorized" parameter? That way, you aren't letting them know you may be in non-compliance.
    Never Again!
    Speak softly and carry a large caliber weapon.

As another poster stated. It's all interpretation and what classifies a bank to be the authority to say your qualified? Kinda like going to a auto shop to get your teeth cleaned.

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    If the rules, and they are, that you cannot carry then don't. If you don't like that find another job.

It is not really a choice of carry and get fired or not carry and get killed. The former is much, much more likely than the latter. The odds of a teller getting killed are very small.

Regards,
    Jerry

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links